TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TACC

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Puddles, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Puddles

Puddles Member

noticed something interesting this weekend. Used tacc on a pretty windy road, with the intent of having the fun of stuffing it into some corners and listening to the tires (& wife) squeal.

Damned if the thing didn’t slow for the corners. Did not expect that.

From the manual: “Traffic-Aware Cruise Control does not adapt driving speed based on road and driving conditions.”

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Its been doing that for a few months. Sometimes it slows in advance, sometimes, it slows after it realizes that it can't make it. It's slowly been getting better anticipating and handling the sharper turns.

3. golfpilot

golfpilot Member

I have a windy road where I live. Some spots slow to as slow as 10mph, straightaways up to 60. I can just set the cruise control for 60 and put my legs up, it isn’t nearly as smooth as hand driving though. If I was behind me, it would drive me nuts

• Like x 1
  4. Puddles

Puddles Member

Having only had ours for a couple of weeks, I’m sure I leave a wake of bemused and confused drivers behind me as I experiment with, I mean LEARN THE, self driving features. The braking! The accelerating! I wish there was “ultra-chill” mode... chill is still too aggressive for me.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Tron 3

Tron 3 Member

I'm wondering if there isn't a recalibration period after a major update. I have read several people say "It has gotten better".
    Owners with AP 1 say their S or X is much better. A result of having been driven much more?

6. longshot49

longshot49 Member

TACC is not Autopilot.

TACC is speed keeping and will not adjust for "curves".

TACC will adjust for traffic / car.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, it definitely will. It depends on the set speed and the radius of the curve. I have experienced TACC slowing for curves many times over the past several months, meaning at least four months if memory serves.

• Like x 2
  8. smatthew

smatthew Member

TACC definitely adjusts for curves. I have one curve on my commute where TACC will drop from 45 to 30.

• Like x 1
  9. BillO

BillO Member

Ahh, I have noticed this too and just wasn’t sure what was happening. Now I have to really give it a test...

10. coleAK

coleAK Member

Could the TACC be slowing in curves due to the fact it detects an object in the corner, like a guard rail? And can’t differentiate it from a slow moving car?

I had a (terrible) grand Cherokee traihawk with radar CC and forward collision warning that would give me the “break” warning from time to time when I came into a sharp corner with a guardrail.

11. ATechGuy

ATechGuy Member

I ran into this today. I was looking forward to a fun turn on my commute that I used to take a 40mph in my 2007 hybrid Camry. Damn! the M3 started slowing, like it was a some Ford with 12" wheels. Really? now I know I need to kick off TACC before the turn, turn it back on afterwards. Sigh.

12. halfricanguy

halfricanguy Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM

I don’t have EAP, but when I used the trial, I always thought it’d be useful if we could turn off TACC and just use standard CC when we wanted.

13. usofrob

usofrob Member

You can always still press the accelerator pedal while on TACC. I find it useful to do when a car is slowing down in front of me to turn but I know it'll be out of the way, or if it falsely slows down for other reasons. I find with TACC (or autopilot) on I need to hover over the accelerator more more than the brakes for safety purposes (not getting rear-ended.)

• Like x 2
  14. derotam

derotam Member

You don't need to turn TACC off, just press the accelerator to the speed you want. If you are lane keeping, it will all still stay on unless you go too fast obviously. When you press the accelerator in TACC it will notify you that the it won't auto-brake.

15. Hans Schulze

Hans Schulze Member

Please offer TACC as a standalone software option! :)

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

This has been requested before on TMC. There is no indication that Tesla will ever do this. TACC is a driver assist feature that is a convenience, not an emergency avoidance feature like AEB (which is standard on all Teslas since AP1). Tesla has always positioned TACC as part of the Auto Pilot package, presumably to maximize the number of buyers who purchase that option which of course boosts profit margins. Exactly what a young auto company needs to do to survive against the behemoths it competes against.

17. jgs

jgs Active Member

No, it’s clearly anticipating and adjusting for the curves. There are many reasons to be certain of this including that slowing for actual detected objects behaves differently, slowing occurs even when the curve is uncluttered, and not least, TACC didn’t (a long time ago) used to do it, and then post some software update, it did, and everyone noticed.
    I agree. Especially when TACC gets disabled due to sensor fouling.