Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tagged on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disappointing that AP didn't avoid that. The Honda came over pretty slowly, AND, there was an open lane to the right.

I'm not sure the AP could avoid riding in the blindspot, since it was following a truck. The only thing it could have done was to slow a bit, increase the follow distance, and back out of the blind spot, but the average driver probably would be wondering what the heck is AP doing? Personally, I'd be adjusting the follow distance to avoid riding in someone's blindspot, but that's just my habit.

As for the vehicles not having a blindspot, I always adjust my mirrors properly to eliminate those, BUT, the Model 3's mirrors don't turn far enough away for me to completely eliminate it. It's the first car I've owned in almost 40 years that I haven't been able to get the mirrors to turn far enough away. Strange, they seem to be at their physical limit. May have to get a little stick-on mirror to compensate. Never had to do that before.

This is one of those exact situations where I feel the human element is way smarter then the AP. I personally would never sit for long in that spot as its in their blind spot. I know its asking a lot but it would be so cool if the AP was "Blind Spot Aware" and would back off or move up as needed.

Please. It was not enough force to push OP out of the lane. One could calculate the exact amount of force from the video. I do agree that we have no idea how fragile OP’s neck is.

Right, so maybe let's not be so quick to judge? Also, if a car is in AP it is probably pretty good at pushing back to make sure it stays in the lane. Much better than a human who isn't necessarily expecting to be smashed into like that.

Uh, I was commenting on the truck driver not looking to their right... not attacking the OP.

That comment was aimed at you. I separated the paragraphs, but it still wasn't clear, apparently. Apologies.

Just to devils advocate this a bit-

Cars with properly adjusted mirrors don't have blind spots. Such an easy fix.

This

Although people need to actually check the mirrors before switching lanes which I'm guessing the pickup didn't do

Ummm...why would people check their mirrors? I didn't learn that was standard procedure when I was learning defensive driving.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Tesla driver, though. Those adjustments are on the pickup driver. The Tesla shouldn't be camping in the blind spot. Period. Who does this?

I actually don't mean blind spot in this case, I suppose. What I mean is, don't camp out next to a car in an adjacent lane. Clearly traffic was light enough to permit this.

I assume that if I sit next to someone in another lane, they will simply change lanes into me without warning. Why would anyone check their mirrors before changing lanes? In my experience, people just go without looking or signaling. In spite of my efforts to avoid this spot, this has happened at least 5-10 times in my driving career, and every time I have been able to avoid being hit. That's why you minimize your time in that spot as much as possible.

Such an easy fix for Tesla. They should fix it; it would make the AP experience much more usable.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
To be clear, there is no car available today for consumer use where this is something that should ever be done.

True.

But the odds of an accident are much higher with no ADAS than with the current crop of level 2 systems, and it seems like most of the drivers I see on phones don't have them.

Though in fairness, they were well within their lane until they decided to switch in this particular case - just lost all situational awareness apparently.

If you set your side mirrors correctly, you can see if someone is in your blind spot.

I also check my rear mirror before changing lanes to see if someone behind me is in the process of changing lanes.

My point is you can't control what other people do. I understand that in theory it is possible to adjust mirrors to eliminate blind spots, and many people don't set the angle of the side mirrors correctly; that topic has been beaten to death here and elsewhere.

People don't check their mirrors. And they veer out of their lanes. Happens every day all the time. Not a problem if you're not next to them.

If you set your side mirrors correctly, you can see if someone is in your blind spot.

I also check my rear mirror before changing lanes to see if someone behind me is in the process of changing lanes.

as does every other person on the road who learned to drive. Hard to tell if he is being serious or is just an angry troll who is mad at life.