Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tail light condensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so it was raining quite a bit in southern cal last week, noticed condensation in both tail lights.

any experience recently whether your service center says is this normal or just more bad tesla qc? previous threads have been ambiguous and SCs seem to have been varied in their responses.

2qxxf8j.jpg

Yours is borderline “normal” according to my experience with Tesla Service. It will disappear in a day or a couple days. However, if it does bother you or it does get worse or doesn’t evaporate, push Tesla service and they’ll replace it for you. I had one taillight (right) replaced in my 8/2018 100D and it took them about 5 hours.

Bjorn had it much worse on his Model X too, which coincidentally is the same colour. Tesla replaced it for free during the 200k km service.

Any amount of water next to electrical circuits is an issue.
The tail light will start flickering over time, and quit eventually.
Manufacturing defect / warranty issue no doubts.
Any way to push on the SC ? Or try different location ?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I had noticed the same condensation and when I visit the SC for other service they said unless it pools, it’s normal. After a few days it all went away but I am also concerned over time, it’ll be an issue.

It would be curious to know if the bulbs are sealed so it’d be okay to have condensation in the lens (Just a guess)

A bit of condensation is normal. The lights are ventilated because they heat up and the air inside expands. When they cool again some moist air can get in. The main thing is that they clear quickly when turned on and that no water accumulates in them.

Reactions: spectrum
I had a significant amount of condensation pooling in my rear passenger taillight several months ago. After a full week, it never dried up. I called, they asked me to take a pic. They ordered the part immediately, called me when it arrived and replaced it while I waited. Super easy.

Reactions: spectrum
Water + voltage = electrolysis, which is basically a super-fast corrosion even on the metals which normally can withstand water. Over time can cause both breaks and shorts. Sealing may have limited use on LEDs boards, or quickly degrade over time off overheating.
But - how many other cars have same issue ? I don't recall it on anything I had. Apparently something is wrong with lights ventilation on Tesla.

Reactions: corndog