Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail light cracks, no impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to get an opinion on this.

Bought my Model S in Sept 2022. Only drive it to work, always park extremely far from others out of paranoia. Recently noticed a crack in the left rear taillight. Repair was quoted mid $300s through the app. No sign of impact anywhere in the vicinity. I've combed through the Sentry footage and there is no evidence of impact on there either.

When asking if it would be covered under warranty I got a ton of pushback. Advised me to bring the car in to SC to "discuss the concern." Spoke to a supervisor (Dan), who said it "indeed appears to be a result of physical impact" and will not be covered under warranty. I asked for an explanation for why this sort of damage would happen in the absence of any physical impact, and also how the incident evaded Sentry surveillance, and he said "Sentry could have malfunctioned during the impact." I asked them if they could check the Sentry logs for any evidence of malfunction and they said they would, but then proceeded to say that even if they didn't see any evidence of Sentry malfunction, they still wouldn't cover it under warranty (what a charade).

I asked them what they thought could have caused it, and how it could have evaded Sentry. He said "a pebble could have hit it at the right angle." Headlight damage from following another vehicle, sure, but taillights? Why would there be pebbles flying at that perfect angle, towards the REAR.

True, it's "only" a few hundred more after spending well over 6 figures for this brand new car, small in the grand scheme, but it's more the principle of it, ya know? And if it were truly my fault, heck I'd pay threefold to fix this beauty. Anyway, based on this thread, seems like some people are getting it covered by warranty while others are not. Either way, wanted to see what you good folks had to say and if you had any recommendations. Thank you!

584387E4-00EC-4066-87AB-A5B07DFB7942.jpeg

Well I'm pretty sure it's chemically-induced stress cracking but you're right that the cause definitely seems to be at Tesla's end. There are way too many people having this same issue.
I've seen cracking occur from chemical exposure, but it was not with polycarbonate. I want to say it was a type of acrylic, but I'd have to dig through some old work emails to confirm. With this particular material, it was due to the use of alkaline based cleaners. What was really interesting was that the cracks looked identical on both lenses and compared to another vehicle that had the same issue.

Bottom line, chemicals can be a cause. But it really depends on the chemical and the lens material.

I went to install the hansshow power trunk (nightmare btw) and before I started , I noticed all my rear lights were cracked. There are no impact marks, I can only suspect bad plastic. My car is a 2020, but delivered during the December push, so perhaps they rushed the quality. I have a Tesla mobile service scheduled and they quotes $450 if there are signed of impact (which there isn't) . Has anyone seen this ?View attachment 568680 View attachment 568681 View attachment 568682 View attachment 568684 View attachment 568680 View attachment 568681

Hi my m3 tail lights also get condensation usually when it rains...when vehicle is parked in sun in the matter few hours lights also got cracked...got my vehicle 1 year ago and SC has replaced them twice..it happened again in May 23 this they charged me saying that I'm washing my car with strong chemicals now I stopped going in car washes only hand wash...car was parked outside for few days in heavy rain sun came out and cracked again...has anyone some insight on that...i would appreciate that...thanks

I'm having the same issue on three of my rear lights on my Model 3. It is an early release Model 3. Mobile service is coming in a few days, but despite having no impact or collision, they will "have to investigate if it is covered by warranty." Several days before noticing large cracks I had washed my car and thought I saw small, < 1 cm hairline cracks that I thought that I must have just not noticed before and thought that they were part of the assembly, but 2 days later, they were substantially larger and obviously not normal.
When I contacted Tesla, they said that it would be highly unlikely to occur without an impact, but the only way that an impact occurred is if my neighbor snuck into my driveway without my security camera seeing him/her and beat up my car.
The other thing of note is that the only light without cracks is the one that was replaced for fogging 2 years
Hi my m3 tail lights also get condensation usually when it rains...when vehicle is parked in sun in the matter few hours lights also got cracked...got my vehicle 1 year ago and SC has replaced them twice..it happened again in May 23 this they charged me saying that I'm washing my car with strong chemicals now I stopped going in car washes only hand wash...car was parked outside for few days in heavy rain sun came out and cracked again...has anyone some insight on that...i would appreciate that...thanks

This has indeed been discussed many times on and off here. Its a 'feature' of both the manufacturing of these tailights (both inner and outter) and the trunk hatch design that increases the likelyhood of stress cracks in the housings to either develop or spread.

There are too many internal stresses present here, and coupled with poor seal at the seam as well as poor material quality - its just a matter of time before new aasemblies fail again.

Auto-trunk on newer Model 3s and less so YS has just as much to do with market expectations and latest fads, as it does with the additional stress in the tailights introduced by manual closing (read slamming) of the trunk.

Luckily OEM parts involved here are relatively cheap and easy to replace.
So many of them found at online resellers too, following removal off wrecked 3s/Ys.

Aftermarket assemblies are sadly even worse in terms of build quality, which is unfortunate... perhaps in a year or two, the the popularity of the 3/Y, we might see OEM+ tailight assemblies which will improve in the few areas OEM suppliers have failed Tesla.

I had a leak in rear inner light.
Tesla first said its not covered by warranty, so I did a water bubble test and glued the seam of light my self.
That fixed the problem, but as I had previously asked why obvious manufacturing issue is not covered by warranty, Tesla replied that they will fix it.
Too late as its not anymore leaking ;)

"The Consumer Complaints Committee determined that soap used in car washes is not strong enough to destroy lamp lenses.
Thus the car owner won the soap feud against Tesla."

A consumer legal help in Norway recently decided in favor of a Tesla 3 owner with cracked lights.
Tesla claimed it was chemically induced cracks.
The car owner got hold of data sheets for the soap where he washed the car, to prove it had PH lower than 13.
The car was new dec 2021 and all the lights cracked.
Tesla has not appealed the decision.

"The Consumer Complaints Committee determined that soap used in car washes is not strong enough to destroy lamp lenses.
Thus the car owner won the soap feud against Tesla."

A consumer legal help in Norway recently decided in favor of a Tesla 3 owner with cracked lights.
Tesla claimed it was chemically induced cracks.
The car owner got hold of data sheets for the soap where he washed the car, to prove it had PH lower than 13.
The car was new dec 2021 and all the lights cracked.
Tesla has not appealed the decision.
Any pH above 7 is considered Alkaline. Certainly, a numerically higher pH will cause damage faster, but a lower pH can still cause the same damage slower. I wouldn't necessarily call this proof of anything. Especially since this ruling can only apply to the specific chemicals used at this specific car wash.

Any pH above 7 is considered Alkaline. Certainly, a numerically higher pH will cause damage faster, but a lower pH can still cause the same damage slower. I wouldn't necessarily call this proof of anything. Especially since this ruling can only apply to the specific chemicals used at this specific car wash.
It was TEsla that demanded less than 13 in pH value.

The ruling is good news for other Tesla owners here, but probably not in California. Also, it proves that somebody has some common sense :)