Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail light housing cracking on inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had this happen? My tail light started cracking on the inside. I felt and confirmed it wasn't from the outside and no visible impacts to the area.

OoeY0y9.jpg

Is there a misalignment with the trunk? Have someone close the trunk firmly while you use the slow-mo video function of your phone (if you have such a feature). Maybe the trunk lid is hitting the tail light. An external strike can still cause internal damage.

Fixing nut possibly too tight? With body preparation sealant excessive could cause local stress in light back-piece. Loosen nut to finger-tight. With the electric terminal properly fitted the light is well located in four places; the bolt, the terminal and the two locating pegs. Release the lock-tab and keep it out before removing or refitting the terminal. Support light with mild hand-pressure while refitting terminal or you will stress the light unit mounting. So far ours are all good (so far). Have added a dab of sealant to damp vibration.

Fixing nut possibly too tight? With body preparation sealant excessive could cause local stress in light back-piece. Loosen nut to finger-tight. With the electric terminal properly fitted the light is well located in four places; the bolt, the terminal and the two locating pegs. Release the lock-tab and keep it out before removing or refitting the terminal. Support light with mild hand-pressure while refitting terminal or you will stress the light unit mounting. So far ours are all good (so far). Have added a dab of sealant to damp vibration.
That was back in May of 2020, so I'm hoping he got it fixed since then. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc