Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail light on the toy car in instrument panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I installed the Led light Strip in the trunk of the model S, I tap the led to the driver side tail light ( led light I use max brightness) , I check all the lights after installed, everything works as expected and function. But I notice in the instrument panel, the driver side was dim ,
Can anyone tell me whats wrong?. Thanks alot

Attachments

• 20B399A2-8DB0-42EE-931E-21017D6B2743.jpeg
    20B399A2-8DB0-42EE-931E-21017D6B2743.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: rickyjb
Today I installed the Led light Strip in the trunk of the model S, I tap the led to the driver side tail light ( led light I use max brightness) , I check all the lights after installed, everything works as expected and function. But I notice in the instrument panel, the driver side was dim ,
Can anyone tell me whats wrong?. Thanks alot
looks like the car thinks the light is not working , could be something software related, sensing different voltage to whats expected ?

Reactions: Nick70d
Whenever you tap a source, you’re presenting a different load on the line so the sensor and software are getting values they’re not expecting so the car graphic thinks the light is out. Are you getting a warning msg about the tail light being out?
What are you using this light strip for? Using it instead of the high mounted third brake light? If you need to tap a power source, use one that isn’t being monitored.

Reactions: airborne spoon
Whenever you tap a source, you’re presenting a different load on the line so the sensor and software are getting values they’re not expecting so the car graphic thinks the light is out. Are you getting a warning msg about the tail light being out?
What are you using this light strip for? Using it instead of the high mounted third brake light? If you need to tap a power source, use one that isn’t being monitored.
The MCU did not give me any errors, the light strips I using just give extra light for the trunk, any power source i can tap whenever the car exterior lights on, its come on too, ??
Thanks for the help

Maybe the light trips using draw too much energy , lower the brightness of the led strips would help?? Thanks
No, it won’t help. The added load is there regardless of power draw, which is low already as they are LED vs incandescent.
What year is your car? My ‘14 had the wiring/connectors for adding trunk lights behind the carpet to either side of the latch hook. Exact same connector as the puddle lights.

Mine is 2015
So assume you don’t have any lights in the trunk at all like my car. Good news is that the wiring is already there to add two std lights that are identical to the rectangular puddle lights. Even the carpet is already pre-perforated to accept them. The wiring and connectors are taped to the existing bundle/loom behind the carpet. Even if you still want to use your LED bar/strip, use either side for power and you’re set. No errors or incorrect graphic on the IC because it’s just straight up pwr/gnd and not monitored.

Reactions: Darmie and Nick70d
So assume you don’t have any lights in the trunk at all like my car. Good news is that the wiring is already there to add two std lights that are identical to the rectangular puddle lights. Even the carpet is already pre-perforated to accept them. The wiring and connectors are taped to the existing bundle/loom behind the carpet. Even if you still want to use your LED bar/strip, use either side for power and you’re set. No errors or incorrect graphic on the IC because it’s just straight up pwr/gnd and not monitored.
Can you show me which wire color to tap ? Thanks