Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

Agreed. A lot of work just to change the turn signal color. Not worth it for me especially when under warranty. Anyone here car about the turn signal color/function? Amber DRL - no thanks.
I don't think it's about how it looks, it's about safety.

Other markets required amber turn signals for a reason: it's safer/smarter and far more clear. When using the brake light as an indicator, if others can only see one part of the car, it can be confusing as to what the driver is doing. Confusion leads to increased accidents.

As is often the case, the EU is ahead of the US in safety . . . .

I don't think it's about how it looks, it's about safety.

Other markets required amber turn signals for a reason: it's safer/smarter and far more clear. When using the brake light as an indicator, if others can only see one part of the car, it can be confusing as to what the driver is doing. Confusion leads to increased accidents.
NHTSA actually did a study on the subject: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811115

The Model Y taillights with the amber turn signal as the middle line and the brake lamp on the outside part would be the preferred retrofit.

(and while I'm ranting, what's with so many cars putting the signals real low like at the bumpers? Shouldn't they be higher and more visible?)

The bumper mounted brake lamps or turn signals have to do with automotive stylists wanting wraparound hatch or trunk lids. US and many other country regulations require that brake lamps and turn signals be visible even when movable body parts are opened. Hence, there are designs like this:
IMG_2748-783496.PNG

Another design for this (self-inflicted) problem:
275666.jpg

Lucid-Air-Trunk-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TydalForce
This works exactly as original red blinkers. They just start from "black" if brakes already on. If turn was activated earlier, brakes don't affect it in any way.

Yes, I'm planning. M3s from Giga Shanghai have the same. I wanna find good china supplier for them.
When brakes are applied, your circuit inherently has to miss the first blink to figure out it actually wants to start signaling. Unless you tap the side repeaters, you simply don't have sufficient information until BRAKE stays high AND TURN goes low; then you know signaling is happening. (Conversely, you'll have an extra blink when you stop signaling while still holding brakes. The circuit won't know the TURN going high means signal or means brakes until it stops alternating, but by the time you realize it doesn't go low anymore, you'd already have displayed turn for an extra cycle.) You can't reference original red blinker behavior since they're dual purposing.

Reference behavior should be with an EU car or a recent Model Y doing the brake+signal sequence, and you'll see that they don't miss the first amber (or have an extra blink) on the tail lights.

Did some test terminal crimping for the harness adapter connectors I'll be making.

Since the tail lamp assemblies have Gor-Tex membranes to promote a moisture free environment for the lamps, the connectors need to be fully sealed.

The connector housings can be order with terminals and silicone seals. The seals should be crimped at the same time that the wire is crimped to the connector's terminals. To do this, I modified a SN-28B crimper using a 3mm shank Tungsten Carbide burr and Dremel rotary tool.

CrimpingToolA.JPG
CrimpingToolB.JPG
CrimpingToolC.JPG
CrimpingToolD.JPG

I'm sneaking over here from the Model Y sub forum. I'm very interested in whatever harness/board is available. The newer models that utilize the larger outside light as the break lights and running lights is what I'm going for. I've been hunting for the lights and this harness would seem to make everything work together. Great job.

I can see why the tail light and break light being together looks cleaner, but it's not as great from a safety standpoint.

I'm sneaking over here from the Model Y sub forum. I'm very interested in whatever harness/board is available. The newer models that utilize the larger outside light as the break lights and running lights is what I'm going for. I've been hunting for the lights and this harness would seem to make everything work together. Great job.

I can see why the tail light and break light being together looks cleaner, but it's not as great from a safety standpoint.
Yes, they should work with my adapters. I've ordered for my m3 too.

Reactions: RocDeef
@3sr+buyer thanks for posting the April 2009 NHTSA study:

"The principal finding of the report is that amber signals show a 5.3% effectiveness in reducing involvement in two-vehicle crashes where a lead vehicle is rear-struck in the act of turning left, turning right, merging into traffic, changing lanes, or entering/leaving a parking space. The advantage of amber rear turn signals is shown to be statistically significant."

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Hello! I made a special adapter, that you can just plug-in your lights and in your factory wiring so amber turn signals will work correctly.
So you can install euro lights(or aftermarket) on US car without messing with wires.
Thinking about batch production . Anyone interesting?
I'm wanting to switch my taillights on my Model 3 out for for Model Y taillights. I would like to buy one of your adapters!

Reactions: RocDeef
Do you have anymore info about this adapter? I would be interested.
Hello! I made a special adapter, that you can just plug-in your lights and in your factory wiring so amber turn signals will work correctly.
So you can install euro lights(or aftermarket) on US car without messing with wires.

Do they lag behind by a blink compared to the front signal and side repeaters? Starts blinking one cycle late when starting to signal, and keeps on blinking one extra cycle when stopping the signal?
Apparently, but that's only on turn signals with braking (including regen) activity. The otherwise they are in sync with the side repeaters. The rear turn signal starts one cycle late but that is not a significant design defect because the blink rate is pretty fast. I measured the blink rate on my Model 3 to have a blink rate of 1.4Hz or 85 blinks/minute. That's a blink about every 7-tenths of a seconds.

I don't know about the one extra cycle because Nomisal's video doesn't show that condition, Depends on when the turn signals are released while the brakes are still being applied. His asynchronous sequential logic circuit could be easily designed to minimize that affect.

Hi! I would me more than interested in buying a pair or adapters. Since I’m a new user (made an account just for that post) I can’t find a way to PM you. Idk if you can send me a message so I can order one if there’s any available. Thanks :)