Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

My adapters have finally shipped! Ironically if I placed a fresh order now Amazon would have them to me by tomorrow (I'm guessing they transferred a bunch to a local fulfillment center) but since mine is already on its way from Maryland I will just wait for that.

@Hellajdm It looks sweet! Can you describe the delay a little bit more? Is it just one flash cycle or are you seeing some other behavior?

My adapters have finally shipped! Ironically if I placed a fresh order now Amazon would have them to me by tomorrow (I'm guessing they transferred a bunch to a local fulfillment center) but since mine is already on its way from Maryland I will just wait for that.

@Hellajdm It looks sweet! Can you describe the delay a little bit more? Is it just one flash cycle or are you seeing some other behavior?
It’s like when the brake pedal is stepped on and then u hit the turn signal it flashes quickly for like 2 secs then goes normal. Just thought it was odd. But when your not on the brake pedal and turn the turn signal on, it works like normal.

When brakes are applied, your circuit inherently has to miss the first blink to figure out it actually wants to start signaling. Unless you tap the side repeaters, you simply don't have sufficient information until BRAKE stays high AND TURN goes low; then you know signaling is happening. (Conversely, you'll have an extra blink when you stop signaling while still holding brakes. The circuit won't know the TURN going high means signal or means brakes until it stops alternating, but by the time you realize it doesn't go low anymore, you'd already have displayed turn for an extra cycle.) You can't reference original red blinker behavior since they're dual purposing.

Reference behavior should be with an EU car or a recent Model Y doing the brake+signal sequence, and you'll see that they don't miss the first amber (or have an extra blink) on the tail lights.
Glad to see all the love for amber turn signals, but I still recommend tapping the side repeater signals for immediate response to the rear tail turn signals.

It's for sure a lot more work than the plug-and-play adaptor, but it'll make all the difference for when you need to let others behind you know about a sudden evasive maneuver you're about to make.

Reactions: E90alex
How much did they cost new?
They were $420 for both pieces, plus tax.

This ^Also what's the process of ordering it? Do you just call the service center or is there a website? Thanks in advance!
I personally just used the Service section of the mobile app to schedule an appointment, but I specifically selected "Something Else" and wrote out "Request price quote and availability for the following parts: 1502087-00-D, 1502086-00-D"

Next day there was a quote waiting for me in the app with a note that the parts were readily available at their location. I accepted the estimate, headed over to the Service Center the day after that, paid the invoice, and walked out with the parts in hand. They closed out the appointment like a standard service visit (even offered to check tire pressure!)

I was relieved at how super straight forward the process was -- part of me was concerned they wouldn't sell the parts to me. Worked out though!

Glad to see all the love for amber turn signals, but I still recommend tapping the side repeater signals for immediate response to the rear tail turn signals.

It's for sure a lot more work than the plug-and-play adaptor, but it'll make all the difference for when you need to let others behind you know about a sudden evasive maneuver you're about to make.
I admit this is definitely a consideration for me, especially since a few folks here have expressed similar concerns. I'll definitely remain open to alternate solutions that are nearly as simple to install and are reversible (harnesses vs. tapping) as the options presented in this thread though.

The momentary hyper-flash Hellajdm experienced is also curious to me and I will be looking out for it to see if it's a deal-breaker (after I receive my adapters and can actually swap out the lamps).

Last edited:
It’s like when the brake pedal is stepped on and then u hit the turn signal it flashes quickly for like 2 secs then goes normal. Just thought it was odd. But when your not on the brake pedal and turn the turn signal on, it works like normal.
This is NOT normal(quickly flashing)! Does it appear on both sides? Check that connecters are good seated. If only one adapter acts like this, it need to be replaced.

View attachment 808733Here’s a quick reference for what to expect using the adapters from @Nomisal

Everything works perfectly except when the brake is depressed and turn signal activated the first blink is skipped as noted by others. Watch the repeater with and without brake applied.

2018 LR RWD and model Y US spec tail light 150208700D for those curious.
Ehh I can live with that blink, doesn't even look that bad. Just bought the adapter, just need a hold of those tail lights!

Reactions: android04 and NJM3
I just can repeat, that RED combined light acts the same way on braking - starting from "fade period"(OFF).
With the adapters and amber turn it will start from ON, so only about 0.3-0.4 a second later then RED. It shouldn't make sense because you must operate turn signals much in advance of maneuver.

Guys. Who has bought from amazon, please write a small review there. This will help me much. Thank you!

Reactions: RocDeef and NJM3