Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

And sadly, often, with a subsequent update, it reverts back.

There is a team now that scans for legacy, regional vs global configuration 'anomalies' and resets them periodically to take effect with a subsequent major/minor release pushed to the cars, when all thr subsystem xCUs go through their diagnostics procs.

Gotta love it.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
And sadly, often, with a subsequent update, it reverts back.

There is a team now that scans for legacy, regional vs global configuration 'anomalies' and resets them periodically to take effect with a subsequent major/minor release pushed to the cars, when all thr subsystem xCUs go through their diagnostics procs.

Gotta love it.
So far so good for me. Still have rear fogs and taillights working correctly based off config. But yeah, they are running automated scans against config changes but from what I was told it was against protected values (free supercharger access, FSD, acceleration boost,etc.) Also noticed that they grayed out some values in toolbox 3 and are no longer available to change by mobile.

It’s a shame that there aren’t other solutions to this, preferably a DYI. Right now the OP is the only one with a solution that is being sold and at $130, it’s quite expensive. If only someone could figure out the programming side instead.
Depends how deep you want to DIY, I've posted a solution that doesn't rely on guesswork-logic like the dongle solution. WTB Model 3 Euro tail lights

You don’t need a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter or wiring harness. All you need to do is swap the plugs which is quite simple.

Purchase 2 of the following from a vendor of your choice:
  1. TE Connectivity 1-1456426-1
Then swap out the plugs keeping the pins in their respective pin number locations. All you need is a precision flat head screwdriver to pop off the lock and then push the pins out of the old one. Took me less than 5 minutes to swap them out. You can keep the old 3 pin connector if you plan on swapping back sometime later but not needed if you don’t. Cost me about $11 which half of it was for shipping alone.
Are you talking about replacing the three pin connectors on the cars harness with the ones you have suggested ?, thanks for the reply though, have the inner lights now and eager to get them fitted :)

I just installed the Model Y taillights with the harness adapter. Took about 20 minutes. No errror messages, no fast blinking issues. Fit was comparable to the Model 3 taillights. I noticed the foam gasket around the Model Y taillight connector was much thicker, so I swapped the foam gaskets from the existing taillights. This made it easier to set them flush with the bumper.

Before and after:
View attachment 814051
This is a significant difference and (although I like amber turns…) is the reason to do this, especially if you have to drive in heavy traffic. Damn…another non-spouse approved project. 🤣

I bought one of the earlier harness directly from Nomisal at Teslogic earlier this year. It worked flawlessly up until a few days ago. I have a 18 M3P with newer Model Y lights. So I noticed recently while driving behind my wife that the turn signals flash for a brief moment before the brake lights came on. It never did that previously. It doesn't matter if the headlights are on or not. It is still the same. Otherwise it works as intended. Just strange that this is a recent phenomenon.

Mine is same thing, but on the left side. Weird part is its only doing it while in drive and reverse. Acting normal while in park.

• Informative
Reactions: dds28
I'm going to try the method sonicp3d mentioned above. I have some adapters from fog lights I'm not going to use to prevent having to splice in any wires going to the side markers.

I started getting the turn signal error with my adapter after a couple weeks. I wonder why it doesn't show up at first.

I bought one of the earlier harness directly from Nomisal at Teslogic earlier this year. It worked flawlessly up until a few days ago. I have a 18 M3P with newer Model Y lights. So I noticed recently while driving behind my wife that the turn signals flash for a brief moment before the brake lights came on. It never did that previously. It doesn't matter if the headlights are on or not. It is still the same. Otherwise it works as intended. Just strange that this is a recent phenomenon.

When you brake, does the turn signal light also show up on the screen or only visible on the lights itself?

are you using the updated adapters? The one that supposedly fixed the hyper flash? When you brake, does the turn signal light also show up on the screen or only visible on the lights itselfI am
are you using the updated adapters? The one that supposedly fixed the hyper flash? When you brake, does the turn signal light also show up on the screen or only visible on the lights itself?
I am using updated adapters, It did fixed the hyperflash and the error message on screen. Turn signal light only visible on the lights itself (not on screen). The weird part is it is only doing in drive and reverse, act normal when the car is parked.

• Informative
Reactions: thebestiam1
Just completed changing out both inners and outers for my 2019 M3 with 2022 MY tail lights. Used the adapter cable from Amazon for the outers. Works great. On the inners, I bought all the parts to make a pair of cable adapters but then I decided to see if I could remove the pins now that I had spare connector shells if something went wrong. The OEM shells are tricky to get off to slide the pins out. I managed to do it with one, the other cracked which is what I was afraid of. But the pins were unscathed and came out easily with a sharp awl to give a gentle push. The pins went into the new 4 pin connector shell easily and latched into place. If you dont like working with small breakable objects hanging from your deck lid, dont do it this way. Make the converter cable ;). Total time was about 30 mins for each pair ( inner/outer) and both sides to be swapped, installed and tested. So about an hour in total. Very happy with the results. Much brighter than the 2019 and I much prefer the amber turn indicators.

Attachments

• IMG_5893.jpeg
    IMG_5893.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_5905.jpeg
    IMG_5905.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5895.jpeg
    IMG_5895.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 155
Just completed changing out both inners and outers for my 2019 M3 with 2022 MY tail lights. Used the adapter cable from Amazon for the outers. Works great. On the inners, I bought all the parts to make a pair of cable adapters but then I decided to see if I could remove the pins now that I had spare connector shells if something went wrong. The OEM shells are tricky to get off to slide the pins out. I managed to do it with one, the other cracked which is what I was afraid of. But the pins were unscathed and came out easily with a sharp awl to give a gentle push. The pins went into the new 4 pin connector shell easily and latched into place. If you dont like working with small breakable objects hanging from your deck lid, dont do it this way. Make the converter cable ;). Total time was about 30 mins for each pair ( inner/outer) and both sides to be swapped, installed and tested. So about an hour in total. Very happy with the results. Much brighter than the 2019 and I much prefer the amber turn indicators.
Glad everything worked out for you. Enjoy!!