Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

Just completed changing out ..........If you dont like working with small breakable objects hanging from your deck lid, dont do it this way. Make the converter cable ;).

Making the 3-to-4 pin adapters for the inner lamps makes sense when you consider that Tesla may someday use an over-the-air update that defeats the functionality of these brake/turn signal adapters. In such case, you'd need to revert back to the old Model 3 lamps.

Reactions: SteelClouds
It is strange that Tesla hasn't just unified all Model 3 and Y taillights to what is currently the Model Y taillights, since that would mean fewer different parts to deal with. Or is one less wire on each side in the Model 3 in the US enough of a cost savings against having different taillights to manage in the supply chain?
The current US Model 3 already has 4 pin tail light harness for the outer lamps with one pin (brake lamp) not used. Earlier versions only had a 3 pin harness for outer lamps.

Reactions: sorphin
The current US Model 3 already has 4 pin tail light harness for the outer lamps with one pin (brake lamp) not used. Earlier versions only had a 3 pin harness for outer lamps.
That is incorrect. The 3 pin to 4 pin harnesses that were changed on later years were for the inner taillights. All model 3s have 4 pin wiring harnesses for the out tail lights, but only 3 of the pins are utilized in the US for the running, brake/turn signal (controlled by programming) and ground. The fourth pin is used for brake outside of the US and the brake/signal pin becomes just utilized for the turn signal, again that is controlled by programming.

When did the change to the 4-pin harness occur, and is the difference then only in the taillight assembly and software that controls the taillights?
Not sure exactly when the change was made but probably around the time they started European deliveries so they could standardize the wiring harnesses in production. But yes the only difference in cars that have the 4 pin outer tail light harness is the tail light assembly and software programming.

The extra pin is a dedicated brake lamp circuit that just doesn’t have anything connected to it on the tail light assembly. North American cars are programmed to use the turn signal also as brake lamp. So you could connect a European or Model Y tail light without a harness but when you hit the brakes both the outer red “C” and the amber “—“ will light up.

So you could connect a European or Model Y tail light without a harness but when you hit the brakes both the outer red “C” and the amber “—“ will light up
Correct. The adapter harness “fixes” that so the blinker blinks by itself. The red tail lights do not blink with the amber indicator. I swapped the inner too because the newer lights are something like 18 watts vs 4 and are significantly brighter. If you don’t swap the inners work but seem dim to the new outside lights. That may or may not bug you. It bugged me so I swapped both.

I bought Nomisal's adapter from Teslogic on Amazon and installed it with Alpharex taillights.
Unfortunately, one of the adapters blinks too fast, another one works as expected.
Is there a way to fix it? Or do I need a replacement?