Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Lights Not Working - Any Solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Driving home from work tonight I got several high beams from behind me on the highway. Then while in traffic, someone rolled their window down and started yelling that my lights are off.

I turned of the vehicle when I got home and when turning it back on, it still doesn’t work. I rebooted the infotainment and the issue persists. The brake lights work so clearly they aren’t burnt out.

This is a 2022 Y performance with ~8,000 miles. I booked an appointment on the app but the earliest was a mobile appointment for Monday. As I leave for work in early morning and don’t go home until the evening…I guess I can’t go to work tomorrow or risk getting pulled over or getting into an accident. I also have a meeting I need to be at on Monday night…Looks like I am going to miss that as well if the mobile service can’t fix it.

Does anybody have solutions?
Does anybody have solutions to expedite a service appointment or speak with a customer service rep?
Is there anyway to get Tesla to give me a loaner even before the appointment begins?

I’m so frustrated by this car. Two times now the passenger air bag sensor has stopped working to the point that they just replaced the entire seat last time. Yet another SAFETY issue. Both times, I had to wait one month for a service so it was not a weekend car with the family for 2/7 of our ownership thus far. Carbon spoiler has fallen off and needed to be replaced. I have a feeling that the front head lights are not aligned correctly and pointing a little too high because I get a high beam from cars once every other week when auto high beam is set to off.

Last edited:
What happens when you turn on the lights manually?

Exterior lights (headlights, tail lights, side marker lights, parking lights, and license plate lights) are set to AUTO each time you start Model Y. When set to AUTO, exterior lights automatically turn on when driving in low lighting conditions. If you change to a different setting, lights always revert to AUTO on your next drive.

Touch one of these options to temporarily change the exterior light setting:
  • OFF: Exterior lights turn off until you manually turn them back on or until the next time you drive.
  • PARKING: Only the exterior side marker lights, parking lights, tail lights and license plate lights turn on.
  • ON: Exterior lights turn on.
Did you know that you can adjust the headlights?

To adjust the angle of the headlights, touch Controls > Service > Adjust Headlights, then follow the onscreen instructions. You can choose which headlight you would like to adjust by selecting it on the touchscreen.

(Proceed with caution when adjusting headlights. Tesla has carefully calibrated the position of the headlights to be in an optimum position for most driving scenarios. Tesla recommends that you do not adjust headlights unless you are familiar with how headlights should be adjusted. Once adjusted, you will be unable to automatically restore them to their originally calibrated position. Contact Tesla for assistance when adjusting headlights.)

Last edited:
Reactions: howardnj
What happens when you turn on the lights manually?

Exterior lights (headlights, tail lights, side marker lights, parking lights, and license plate lights) are set to AUTO each time you start Model Y. When set to AUTO, exterior lights automatically turn on when driving in low lighting conditions. If you change to a different setting, lights always revert to AUTO on your next drive.

Touch one of these options to temporarily change the exterior light setting:
  • OFF: Exterior lights turn off until you manually turn them back on or until the next time you drive.
  • PARKING: Only the exterior side marker lights, parking lights, tail lights and license plate lights turn on.
  • ON: Exterior lights turn on.
Did you know that you can adjust the headlights?

To adjust the angle of the headlights, touch Controls > Service > Adjust Headlights, then follow the onscreen instructions. You can choose which headlight you would like to adjust by selecting it on the touchscreen.

(Proceed with caution when adjusting headlights. Tesla has carefully calibrated the position of the headlights to be in an optimum position for most driving scenarios. Tesla recommends that you do not adjust headlights unless you are familiar with how headlights should be adjusted. Once adjusted, you will be unable to automatically restore them to their originally calibrated position. Contact Tesla for assistance when adjusting headlights.)
I lowered mine a little when shining them against my closed garage door. A few had been flashing their lights at me. This seems to solve the problem. The headlights are very bright for night driving. i love my Tesla. :)

Driving home from work tonight I got several high beams from behind me on the highway. Then while in traffic, someone rolled their window down and started yelling that my lights are off.

I turned of the vehicle when I got home and when turning it back on, it still doesn’t work. I rebooted the infotainment and the issue persists. The brake lights work so clearly they aren’t burnt out.

This is a 2022 Y performance with ~8,000 miles. I booked an appointment on the app but the earliest was a mobile appointment for Monday. As I leave for work in early morning and don’t go home until the evening…I guess I can’t go to work tomorrow or risk getting pulled over or getting into an accident. I also have a meeting I need to be at on Monday night…Looks like I am going to miss that as well if the mobile service can’t fix it.

Does anybody have solutions?
Does anybody have solutions to expedite a service appointment or speak with a customer service rep?
Is there anyway to get Tesla to give me a loaner even before the appointment begins?

I’m so frustrated by this car. Two times now the passenger air bag sensor has stopped working to the point that they just replaced the entire seat last time. Yet another SAFETY issue. Both times, I had to wait one month for a service so it was not a weekend car with the family for 2/7 of our ownership thus far. Carbon spoiler has fallen off and needed to be replaced. I have a feeling that the front head lights are not aligned correctly and pointing a little too high because I get a high beam from cars once every other week when auto high beam is set to off.
it looks like you got the Friday late afternoon built =). Time to sell the car for Ioniq5 or EV6 or GV60 that people in this forum worship.

Nah. BMW IX already in transit but three months later than expected. Would like this fixed before I sell it (unfortunately prices have been dropping vs peak opportunity during the summer). Panel gaps and falling off spoilers don’t super bother me. The seat sensors (safety), the tail lights (safety), the oddly small mirrors and no blind spot lights on the mirrors (safety) feels like auto 101 that I find baffling and has me comfortable with moving on.

it looks like you got the Friday late afternoon built =). Time to sell the car for Ioniq5 or EV6 or GV60 that people in this forum worship.
Sounds like you are drinking the Tesla koolaid and the clear definition of a fanboi. Just because there is competition don't act like people can't talk about other cars. "looks like the friday afternoon built"...or it looks like poor quality control which is known for.....

bring it to service, end of thread
Was hoping there was a diy method or something. Initially Tesla app said a three week wait for service which basically means I’m taking a major risk every time I drive the car (which is primarily early morning or at night). After complaining on the app about this and how I have no other means of transportation they said I can drop it off today and they will try to squeeze me in. Person at the store said they have been seeing this happen a lot more frequently. Wasn’t sure if it was software. Said he’s been seeing pinched wires in other cases…