TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tail lights

Discussion in 'Model S' started by donaldp, Apr 6, 2015.

1. donaldp

donaldp Member

Why doesn't the inside LED light illuminate on the tail light assembly? I'm referring to the inside lights that are housed in the section that raises when the hatch is opened.

2. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

#2 Danal, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I can't tell you why Tesla decided to do this; I can tell you the liftgate lights have very limited wiring. The liftgate assemblies get "Tail", "Reverse", and "Ground", and nothing else. At least on 2015 VIN cars.

We've been looking at all the wiring in the back, finding the right places to 'tap' for the Lighted Rear Applique. The vid shows a "Knight Rider" scroll effect... when driving, the applique does much more conventional things, like tail/stop/sequenced turns, things like that. We had to pick up "stop" from the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light; most people call it the "led strip"), turn signals from the lights that are NOT on the liftgate (which meant running wires down the rubber tube) and so forth. Not much to work with in the liftgate itself.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

You mean like this?

image.jpg

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

If there's an LED found on the car, it will illuminate under certain situations...

A picture pointing to the LED of interest would do wonders here.

5. donaldp

donaldp Member

#5 donaldp, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    2013_tesla_model-s_det_lt_8181304_600.jpg
    The inside light that is just to the right of the chrome surrounded reverse light. The light in question would raise up when the hatch is lifted to be clear
    lighted-t.jpg

The inside part that is not lit in the second pic.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I thought the inner "C"s only lit up when hitting the brake or blinking with the turn signal.

7. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

So on Euro-spec cars the clear section just inside of the red outer section is yellow turn signal only. DOT in the US mandates a specific amount of area that is covered. So US-spec lights do both the red "ring" and the clear "ring"

Now, if you are talking about the section that is mounted to the lift gate vs the body of the car. I cannot recall if the clear "ring" is lit for stop on both the hatch and body assemblies.

8. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

#8 Alysashley79, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    ^^^this is pretty cool. I'm not a fan of the lighted T mostly just because it's a little much for me but I love this design. Is this something you made or purchased?

9. Danal

They are just becoming available:

For Sale Lighted rear applique with special effects and Bluetoot... | Panjo

Or, if that link changes:

Exterior Parts and Lighting Items for Sale

I am the manufacturer of the electronics. I supply the electronics to Artsci. Artsci is the manufacturer of the 'mechanics', meaning the water-jet cut of the Applique, the 3D printed letter inserts, and he is the overall legal owner of the accessory company that sells these.

10. Danal

#10 Danal, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    I believe the original post was referring to segment 3 in the labeled pic. That pic has "Parking" (sometimes called "Tail") lights on. As you can see, segment 1 and 4 light up "medium brightness" red. In the picture with the brake lights on (notice the strip at the top of the window), you can see that segment 1, 2, and 4 light up "bright red". Segment 3 does not light. And, on USA 2015 model year cars, there is no wiring that could possibly light it. The harness that reaches the liftgate tail light assemblies contains only Tail, Reverse, and Ground. No stop or turn wire is present in the harness.

Turn signals also do not light segment 3.

Just for completeness: Segment 5 is the reverse light (or reverse/fog on European cars, reverse on one side and reverse-fog on the other).

Tesla Tail Labeled.jpg

Tesla Tail Brake Lights.jpg

11. donaldp

donaldp Member

Yes, section 3 is what I was asking about. Thank you Danal for providing the numbered pics.
    The brake lights would look much better if section 3 illuminated as well.

12. fadkar

fadkar Member

I just noticed that today as well. I wonder why they don't light up?

13. Requiem

Requiem Member

Slightly off topic, but in european cars, for segment 5, one side has reverse light (white light) and one side has rear foglight (red light). When reversing, there is only 1 white light.

14. HowardLynnSMith

Anybody know how to make the tail lights clear? Do the LED's behind the red reflector in 4 shine red or white? I want to make mine look more like an Aston Martin with the clear tail lights that still light up red when illuminated.

IMG_1094.jpg IMG_1095.jpg