TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tail of the Dragon

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Cottonwood, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

After following all of the winter driving discussions, its time to think about some summer driving.

A friend of mine sent me this, and the road looks like a lot of fun in a Tesla with summer performance tires (and maybe a good radar detector, and/or someone riding shotgun watching Trapster).

Has anyone taken a Tesla on the "Tail of the Dragon", US-129 from North Carolina to Tennessee? The List #0011: Drive the Tail of the Dragon - Autoblog. Maybe, we can get an HPWC put in at the Tail of the Dragon Store, or maybe a Supercharger one day?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's a fun road, but for the most part a radar detector isn't going to be necessary. It's a major through-way that's often congested, and does see a lot of truck traffic. You'll get to make good use of all that low end torque, though.

3. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Believe this picture is of my latest trip to the Dragon. You'll see most everything on US-129 which is probably the best road but there are lots of roads in the area that may be better because they don't have as much traffic or attention from law enforcement.

Overload on pictures at: http://www.killboy.com which is where I found (and purchased) these pictures of myself:

Deals_Gap_1_2004.jpg

Deals_Gap_2_2004.jpg

4. irradiator

irradiator New Member

Charging will be an issue with the dragon. Until Tesla drops a supercharger in Chattanooga or Knoxville, you might not even be able to get there. Things are a little different if you have a Chademo adapter, though, as there are chargers at the Cracker Barrel in Athens, in range for a nice loop through the dragon. I live close enough that I routinely ran up there with my previous car, crossing over from Tellico Plains TN to Robbinsville NC on the dragon, and then returning on the Cherohala skyway, a road built for the express purpose of attracting road trippers. A radar detector is not needed for the dragon, as nobody is going to significantly exceed the speed limit unless they are on a motorcycle, it is truly a tortuous road. The skyway, on the other hand, is made to fly. If you do make it there, try to avoid the summer weekends, as Gizmotoy says they can be a traffic jam. Weekdays are usually wide open.

5. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Low-end torque?!?!

I believe it's just "pure" torque... at any end! ;)

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Well it does taper as the motor revs higher, but it was mainly referencing the fact that you're not going to be going very fast due to all the traffic. Unless on a day trip during the week, as was mentioned.

So you'll get to maybe accelerate out of the turns and that's about it.

7. BobbyM5

BobbyM5 Member

We took the Tail of the Dragon from Knoxville to Asheville over July 4th and it was an awesome drive in the Model S. Now i try to drive it once a month, its a great early morning drive!
    Tesla ToftD3ss.jpg

8. sperrysburg

sperrysburg Member

FYI, there is a HPWC at the Tail of the Dragon across from Deal's Gap. The location is on plugshare. I drove through the Tail twice this year in my Chevy Volt. Can't wait to do it in a Tesla.

9. rfinn

rfinn White Lightning

There is a Tesla charger at Tail of the Dragon in Deals Gap. I have driven the Dragon 2times in my Model S. I would suggest going on a week day, week ends are too many motorcycles.

10. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

LOL, now both of the forums on which I hang out most have a "Tail of the Dragon" thread!

You all have some catching up to do though, in the other forum it is at page 2225 ... and over 8,000,000 clicks.

Lots of interesting stuff in it, too: Killboy failure Dragon Fest - Page 2214 - ADVrider

11. zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc Member

I just want you guys to know you are killing me with talking about driving the Tesla on the "Tail of the Dragon".

I hope my sobbing sounds don't drown out the rest of your day.

12. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

Finally got to drive this recently - needed a CHAdeMO adapter to get there. Great fun - there was a Porsche club event there while I was there. Does anyone else think that T is Tesla-esque?
    And yes, that's a HPWC I'm using - a full 80A for 60MPH charging.

IMG_4598 (1).jpg