Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tailgate beeping twice - 2021 M3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi...my 2021 M3 SR+ has developed a strange issue where the boot occasionally beeps twice when opening. It happens when the tailgate has completed lifting. There are no obstructions or dirt on the struts. I have tried resetting the 'max height' by holding down the button, and also gently opened and closed the boot lid manually, but all to no avail. Tesla has replaced the powered strut once and tweaked the alignment of the tailgate itself which fixed the problem for a couple of weeks, but the problem has now retuned. I have a service appointment booked, but wondered if there were any thoughts on this problem? Thank you!

Interesting in one case that a strut was replaced and it's returned.

Could be a software issue, but then why would they be tinkering with the boot software.

I do wonder if the issue is the non-powered strut, leaving the powered strut to hold all the weight?

If you support the boot very slightly while it opens, does that stop the two beeps always?

Doesn't necessarily prove it, but may indicate if the issue is mechanical or software.

Reactions: AndyTheKeys

Could be a software issue, but then why would they be tinkering with the boot software.

I do wonder if the issue is the non-powered strut, leaving the powered strut to hold all the weight?

If you support the boot very slightly while it opens, does that stop the two beeps always?

Doesn't necessarily prove it, but may indicate if the issue is mechanical or software.
Mine started doing this on Saturday as well.... 2021 SR+

Sounds software related?
It could be. Mine is intermittent - possibly when the car is cold/wet. Could reproduce it consistently first thing this morning, but now cannot reproduce. Is your's the same?

Good suggestion, thank you. I now cannot reproduce the problem, but next time I will test.

Further to my above post I raised a service request with Tesla and promptly had my power strut replaced.

Tech showed me what had changed between the two and it appeared to be an O-ring at the top of the strut which my original one didn't have - my old strut had water in it and was showing signs of failure.

Seems to work fine now. Hopefully this update works going forward.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
The tail gate power strut on my M3P 21 has been doing similar things for about 2 months now. It's booked in Friday for replacement. The service log I accepted has " remove and replace power strut" comments. I guess it's a common issue as they've not even inspected it yet. Mike often fails to open at all, and all I get it are those beeps.

I’ve got the exact same issue on my 2021 M3 LR. It started 4 months after I purchased the car and it does it every time: two beeps when the trunk reaches its high point. Resetting the trunk travel does nothing. I’d be very interested if replacing the trunk strut fixes this as mine if only 4 months old!

I’ve got the exact same issue on my 2021 M3 LR. It started 4 months after I purchased the car and it does it every time: two beeps when the trunk reaches its high point. Resetting the trunk travel does nothing. I’d be very interested if replacing the trunk strut fixes this as mine if only 4 months old!
I had the strut replaced by a mobile engineer and the beeping problem came back a couple of weeks later. Tesla made a second visit and fitted an additional seal (‘O’ ring?). Since then I’ve not had the beeping for the past 3 or 4 weeks.