Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tailgating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
I have kind of a dumb question ("There are no dumb..."). We're going to NY Jets game on Sunday and planning on tailgating. I was looking in the manual regarding use of the power point in the rear to keep some chili in a crockpot warm during the tailgate, trying to see whether the 12v or HV battery is used to power it. The only reference I could find was this -

Note
Power is available whenever the vehicle is considered "awake". The vehicle may be awake for many reasons. For example, when using features such as Summon, or when features such as Preconditioning, Cabin Overheat Protection, Keep Climate On, Dog Mode, Camp Mode, Sentry Mode, etc. are enabled. The vehicle is also awake whenever the low voltage battery is being charged or is in use, during HV charging, when the vehicle is communicating with the mobile app, etc. Leaving an accessory plugged in does not deplete the low voltage battery.

The highlighted part made me wonder if the HV battery is used for things like running the audio system and powering the rear power point when the car is awake, as it would be during a tailgate (trunk would be open the entire time). Anyone know for sure? I'd be interested in other's experiences.

The last time we went to a game, I left a crockpot plugged in to the rear power point of my Mazda CX-5 during the game and killed the battery. I'm not going to do that again!

The 12v battery is being charged by the HV battery as needed. Most all accessories are run off of the 12V battery. As long as you don't go over the rated amperage, you should be good for a long while. Manual mentions not to exceed 12amps continuous. You don't have to worry about re starting the car for the car is always on unlike your Mazda was. Show up with a good state of charge and enjoy the event. You will be surprised how little the HV battery drains.
In our Model X we use a plug in cooler for trips and leave it running all the time with very little to no drain on the HV battery.

1669133035080.png

To keep the Tesla Model Y awake and the low voltage accessory power ports and USB ports powered on you can select Camp mode from the Climate Control screen. You can turn off the Climate Control HVAC system with Camp mode enabled to conserve power.

The Tesla Model Y 12V battery (now a 15V lithium battery module) does not power the low voltage accessory ports. The Tesla Model Y has a power conversion system (PCS) that uses power from the high voltage battery to provide low voltage power for all of the traditional 12V automotive systems including: lights, windshield wipers, computers, infotainment screen, radio, accessory ports, USB ports (5 volt), HVAC blower motor, power seat functions, heated seats, heated steering wheel, rear window defogger/defroster, cameras, sensors and airbags. The PCS also maintains the 12V battery or in the case of the later production Model Y the 15V lithium battery module.

Even when the Tesla Model Y vehicle is parked, whenever Sentry Mode is active the PCS continues to power the 12V systems. Only when the Tesla Model Y is in sleep mode (no Sentry mode or Summon mode active) does the 12V battery provide power for standby systems including the vehicle theft alarm, NFC, BT and LTE modems.

Last edited:
To keep the Tesla Model Y awake and the low voltage accessory power ports and USB ports powered on you can select Camp mode from the Climate Control screen. You can turn off the Climate Control HVAC system with Camp mode enabled to conserve power.

The Tesla Model Y 12V battery (now a 15V lithium battery module) does not power the low voltage accessory ports. The Tesla Model Y has a power conversion system (PCS) that uses power from the high voltage battery to provide low voltage power for all of the traditional 12V automotive systems including: lights, windshield wipers, computers, infotainment screen, radio, accessory ports, USB ports (5 volt), HVAC blower motor, power seat functions, heated seats, heated steering wheel, rear window defogger/defroster, cameras, sensors and airbags. The PCS also maintains the 12V battery or in the case of the later production Model Y the 15V lithium battery module.

Even when the Tesla Model Y vehicle is parked, whenever Sentry Mode is active the PCS continues to power the 12V systems. Only when the Tesla Model Y is in sleep mode (no Sentry mode or Summon mode active) does the 12V battery provide power for standby systems including the vehicle theft alarm, NFC, BT and LTE modems.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I can’t help with your question, but what is tailgating in British English?

We use the word tailgating if you are following a car far to closely, like right on their bumper. That’s why I read this thread - “I’m going out on Sunday and plan on tailgating!” 😂😂 found it funny 👍🏻
Tailgating can mean as you stated, following too closely. In the US to tailgate can also mean to have a picnic or a cookout in the parking lot of a sports arena before the game (usually American football), during half-time and after the game.

We use the word tailgating if you are following a car far to closely, like right on their bumper. That’s why I read this thread - “I’m going out on Sunday and plan on tailgating!” 😂😂 found it funny 👍🏻

@jcanoe already explained, but the word has both the meanings he said, based on context. I would guess its because in the "party" meaning, it specifically means "at a sporting event, usually in a parking lot, with the cars parked close together, fans get together and share food, drink, fun, and good times, before a sporting event".

I suspect that they have something in Europe that is the same thing (fans of a team coming together outside the arena to party together, drink together, and eat together before a football (soccer to us in the US) match). What is it called there?

Like the others said but even more. In a lot of places for college football it’s like a family reunion 7 times a year. We have around 85K people who actually attend my university’s games but often have twice that many who tailgate and don’t even make it to the stadium. Generators, tents, satellite dishes, TVs, mobile bars; it’s a traveling circus for American football fans

Awesome, thanks both.

I don’t know if we have a term for it - not come across one if we do. 🤷🏼‍♂️

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know which definition until I opened the post.

The term came from people opening their tailgates at sporting events and serving food/ drinks from there. It's extremely common. Some people go to the tailgating part without even having tickets to the game.

Just to report back - ended up using a camp stove to keep the chili warm during the pre-games festivities. I tested the (35 year old) crock pot in the rear power point on Saturday and it blew the the power point (it automatically resets after a few hours) so ended up using a camping stove to keep it warm. Only really used the car for sound system, food delivery platform in the rear and and occasional warm-up by some of the less-hardy members of our crew (and it wasn't even really that cold!). Good time overall. The MY is a great tailgate platform for sure.

Oh, and the Jets killed the Bears!

IMG_3193.jpg

In real English the word is 'boot' as in 'boot sales' beloved of poms at the weekends. Tail-gate parties are so necessary because 'Merkin 'football' goes on so long patrons will die of hunger without sustenance...

Reactions: Ciaopec