Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taiwanese planning trip to LA, SF & Yosemite with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I'm Andy from Taiwan. I've driven a Tesla Model S P85 in Taiwan for almost 2 years. And as my model X delivery time approaching, I decided to have a road trip from LA to Yosemite and San Francisco with my new Model X in June. I'm familiar with Tesla's charging infrastructure, yet knowing nothing about public charge station in California. I found out that there's two public station supplier such us chargepoint and EVgo in CA. I'm wondering which ones you guys preferred .And any advice of traveling with model X in CA?

btw, here's my P85 shoot in Taiwan :)

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 139
Outside of Yosemite National Park you can probably rely on superchargers. Those are pretty easy to find in most parts of California, and there are a couple on the way to Yosemite: you probably know about supercharge.info already.

Inside Yosemite National Park there are only a few options, L2 at best. They don't seem to be affiliated with any network, probably because they are inside a national park. But you can find them through chargepoint and plugshare. I believe they are free, or free for guests of the facility that supplies the electricity. At busy times you may have to wait, and charging will be slow.

As a backup plan you might download the chargepoint app to your phone. You can register payment with a credit card or paypal, and it's free to sign up. I've done that, but so far I haven't used it.

Although I have a Model X, I haven’t charged in California with that. I have charged my Model S when there - mostly using Superchargers and destination charging at the hotel. I did use ChargePoint (using my ChargePoint card) once. But as mentioned before, PlugShare, is your best resource for locating charging stations. The ChargePoint stations are independently owned, but you can charge there using their card, mobile app or calling a toll free number. See How to Charge an EV with ChargePoint

Out of curiosity, are you planing on taking your Model X back to Taiwan when you finish your road trip here? I also noticed that Tesla is hiring in Taiwan, so I wonder what the Tesla charging infrastructure is going to look like in Taiwan? Hopefully, they will use the US style port.

• Love
Reactions: desperadoyoyo
There is a Tesla HPWC at the Majestic ( formerly the Ahwahnee Hotel ). You'll get the full 80A but there's only one so you may have to wait. When I was there with my family a few weeks ago, there were at least 3 other Teslas there. The good thing is you don't need to be fully charged to get out of the valley and make it to either the Fresno or Manteca SC because of regen going downhill for most of the drive out.

Outside of Yosemite National Park you can probably rely on superchargers. Those are pretty easy to find in most parts of California, and there are a couple on the way to Yosemite: you probably know about supercharge.info already.

Inside Yosemite National Park there are only a few options, L2 at best. They don't seem to be affiliated with any network, probably because they are inside a national park. But you can find them through chargepoint and plugshare. I believe they are free, or free for guests of the facility that supplies the electricity. At busy times you may have to wait, and charging will be slow.

As a backup plan you might download the chargepoint app to your phone. You can register payment with a credit card or paypal, and it's free to sign up. I've done that, but so far I haven't used it.
Thanks for your kindly reply! It's really helpful!! I'm thinking about stay in Mammoth for a day before entering Yosemite and use Tesla's SuperCharger over there!
Thanks again!!

Although I have a Model X, I haven’t charged in California with that. I have charged my Model S when there - mostly using Superchargers and destination charging at the hotel. I did use ChargePoint (using my ChargePoint card) once. But as mentioned before, PlugShare, is your best resource for locating charging stations. The ChargePoint stations are independently owned, but you can charge there using their card, mobile app or calling a toll free number. See How to Charge an EV with ChargePoint

Out of curiosity, are you planing on taking your Model X back to Taiwan when you finish your road trip here? I also noticed that Tesla is hiring in Taiwan, so I wonder what the Tesla charging infrastructure is going to look like in Taiwan? Hopefully, they will use the US style port.

Thanks for your detailing reply! I've learned a lot!! I'll get a ChargePoint card anyway I guess :)
About your question, I'm going to ship my X back to Taiwan as soon as I leave US. ANd there's over 300 public charge stations using SAE J1772 all over Taiwan, and all Teslas in Taiwan imported from US. So I think there's a great great chance that Tesla would use HPWC as destination charger and the same figure of SuperCharger just like in US.
btw how's your experiences of driving Model X on the mountains? Does the range drop like Model S or worse?
And does the navigation estimation of the range count in the route climbing? Because the navigation doesn't work in Taiwan so I've never use it before. TAT
Thanks again!!

There is a Tesla HPWC at the Majestic ( formerly the Ahwahnee Hotel ). You'll get the full 80A but there's only one so you may have to wait. When I was there with my family a few weeks ago, there were at least 3 other Teslas there. The good thing is you don't need to be fully charged to get out of the valley and make it to either the Fresno or Manteca SC because of regen going downhill for most of the drive out.

Uhhh I forgot the regen counts! lol
I guess there's no need to worry!!!
Thank you for reminding!
btw Does Ahwahnee Hotel willing to let Teslas that don't live there to use them?
Since it's really hard to find a room in June~ :)

Hi, I'm actually curious how you charge your Model S in Taiwan since there are no Superchargers built there?

Are you the only person in TW who owns a Tesla there?

Actually there's over 40 Model Ss and one Roadster in Taiwan now and more S and X is coming. And yes there's none SuperCharger in Taiwan yet. Though we do have 2 50kW ChAdeMo in Taichung, the center of Taiwan. Also there's over 300 220V 40A (also 80A) public charge stations through out Taiwan. From head to toe, Taiwan spreads around 500km So I think it's quite convenient for a 85kW Model S~
I personally think that Taiwan is one of the most suitable country to use EV cars. Yet the government is fxcked up for a long time, the Tax is crazy that doubles up the prize. Wish it'll all be fix when the new government get on~ :)

Thanks for your detailing reply! I've learned a lot!! I'll get a ChargePoint card anyway I guess :)
About your question, I'm going to ship my X back to Taiwan as soon as I leave US. ANd there's over 300 public charge stations using SAE J1772 all over Taiwan, and all Teslas in Taiwan imported from US. So I think there's a great great chance that Tesla would use HPWC as destination charger and the same figure of SuperCharger just like in US.
btw how's your experiences of driving Model X on the mountains? Does the range drop like Model S or worse?
And does the navigation estimation of the range count in the route climbing? Because the navigation doesn't work in Taiwan so I've never use it before. TAT
Thanks again!!
I was in Taiwan about 6 months ago visiting my wife's family. We took a trip to Sun Moon Lake and stayed at
Sun Moon Lake Bamboo Rock Garden (日月潭竹石園生態渡假會館). They had some chargers there, which I added to PlugShare - just for fun. Hopefully, Tesla will use US spec chargers because I may send my Model S to my brother-in-law.

I haven
t driven the Model X up any steep mountains yet. We do have a house in the White Mountains in AZ, but Ive only driven the Model S there. I would think that due to the weight, the Model X will not do as well. For example, my Model S starts off with a rated range of 255 miles and arrives with 20-30 miles remaining. The trip is 202 actual miles with a net 4000+ft elevation gain - average speed is about 55mph. We have a regular 90D Model X and the 100% charge rated range is 263 miles.

The Tesla Navigation does take the elevation into account. You will notice in the Trips screen that the battery level graph will not be a linear line, but will vary with terrain. There will be places on the graph where the line goes back
up indicating your are going downhill and increasing your battery level.

• Love
Reactions: desperadoyoyo