Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Takata Air Bag Recall - STILL!?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a notice 3 days ago that my 2016 CPO that I bought nearly 2 months ago needs to come in for airbag replacements. WTF??? Seriously? This Takata airbag issue has been known for years and years now. And my car was supposedly inspected and deemed safe to drive before I took delivery. So now to find out that my car didn't get new airbags when it was most convenient for all involved and instead we all have to waste time and effort doing it later - at some time to be determined. Meanwhile I should continue driving this car with potentially lethal 'grenade' style airbags???

One of the reasons I wanted a Tesla is because they are supposed to be SAFE.
This isn't safe, doesn't make me feel safe, and makes me mad.

related: Model S Safety Update

The problem with these airbags appeared on older airbags that had seen a lot of heat (e.g. parked in the sun). Since they could not make that many replacement airbags at once, they staged the replacement based on priorities like age and climate.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm not losing sleep over it. Our cars are only 3 years old, which seems to be long before the problem appears.

I received a notice 3 days ago that my 2016 CPO that I bought nearly 2 months ago needs to come in for airbag replacements. WTF??? Seriously? This Takata airbag issue has been known for years and years now. And my car was supposedly inspected and deemed safe to drive before I took delivery. So now to find out that my car didn't get new airbags when it was most convenient for all involved and instead we all have to waste time and effort doing it later - at some time to be determined. Meanwhile I should continue driving this car with potentially lethal 'grenade' style airbags???

One of the reasons I wanted a Tesla is because they are supposed to be SAFE.
This isn't safe, doesn't make me feel safe, and makes me mad.

related: Model S Safety Update
Chill buddy. Just drive your car and take it in when you get some time its no big deal.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Chill buddy. Just drive your car and take it in when you get some time its no big deal.
Yes. The email mentions that "The safety of our customers is paramount and we are taking this action even though there have been no airbag ruptures or other related incidents in any Tesla vehicles."

They have finished the recall on 2012 and 2013 cars and are now doing 2014-2016 cars.

They have finished the recall on 2012 and 2013 cars and are now doing 2014-2016 cars.

I'm pretty sure the recent notices are a result of a more recent recall. As I said, the Takata airbag recall was a multi-stage affair, as they identified new production batches that had problems, they issued new recall notices.

You made it sound like Tesla was so back-logged with the recall work they are just now getting around to recalling airbags they have known were unsafe for years. That's not the case.

Jeez dude, take a chill pill. Tesla is just following the NHTSA prioritization schedule, with 70 million airbags they cant do them all at once. From the NHTSA:

"NHTSA prioritized Takata air bag repairs to ensure that vehicles with air bags that pose the highest threat to safety are able to be fixed first, while also working to ensure that parts are available to repair every affected vehicle as quickly as possible.

Testing, field experience, and research show that older air bags in vehicles with prolonged exposure to hot and humid environments pose a much greater risk of exploding.

Based on the best available data, NHTSA ordered vehicle manufacturers to get replacement air bags for older vehicles first, since those air bags are most likely to have had long-term exposure to hot and humid conditions.

Regardless of these circumstances, every defective air bag must be—and will be—replaced. We ask for your understanding while the air bags that pose a higher risk to their vehicles’ drivers and passengers are replaced first."

And that wasn't originally known when the first batch of Takata bags were recalled. That was my point. Some people make it sound like Tesla is being slow or lackadaisical about this.

Agree. Basically most cars on the entire face of the planet had defective airbags that all have to be replaced.

The defects are mostly ones that make the inflators dangerous after years of exposure to corrosion, so you have to deal with it by fixing the oldest cars first. Our 2015/16s will be fine for years to come but at some point they won't be unless the inflators are replaced.

I'd suggest to the OP that this is their opportunity to get a free car wash if there are no other issues they can consolidate on the same trip:D

I'm pretty sure the recent notices are a result of a more recent recall. As I said, the Takata airbag recall was a multi-stage affair, as they identified new production batches that had problems, they issued new recall notices.

You made it sound like Tesla was so back-logged with the recall work they are just now getting around to recalling airbags they have known were unsafe for years. That's not the case.
I disagree. I first received a notice some time ago. This latest email was just an update. Tesla said that they were going to prioritize older cars and that's what they've done. Like Chancellor32 said: "it's no big deal."

From the 17 January 2017 email I received:
Although the current recall only applies to 2012 Model S vehicles, the passenger airbags of all Model S vehicles produced through late 2016 are expected to eventually be recalled. If you own a Model S produced between 2013 and 2016, your airbags are safe, and you do not need to take any action until you receive further notice from Tesla.
I have now received further notice from Tesla, entirely as expected. My car will be five years old in May.

Last edited:
I revived the notice Monday 1/7/19, I had a service scheduled for today so I added it on the app and they are now ordering the airbag (they do not stock them at the Pomona CA Service center). Will update after installed so others can gather an estimate of how long the wait is.

Note: on my other non tesla vehicle it took about 30 days to get a replacement.

First, the Takata airbag issue has been known for YEARS and it's been known that ALL their airbags are likely defective. They have killed people and just because that hasn't happened in a Tesla yet doesn't make it safe or NBD. It's likely simply a sample size thing.

Second, I can't just 'take it in when I have time.' The recall notice specifically says to wait til they contact me again to schedule service. And we all know that Tesla service takes FOREVER.

Third, this recall was known for years and my car was with Tesla for months before I purchased it. Records say it came off lease in May and then I bought it in November so they had all Summer to do the necessary work. They had ample time to perform this service. It leads me to think the company (like many) prioritize the bottom line profits over efficiency and good service. It just feels like Tesla is penny-pinching rather than building a company to be proud of.

Fourth, this is not the first issue I'm having with the company. My experience so far with Tesla is definitely sub-par.

First, the Takata airbag issue has been known for YEARS and it's been known that ALL their airbags are likely defective. They have killed people and just because that hasn't happened in a Tesla yet doesn't make it safe or NBD. It's likely simply a sample size thing.

Second, I can't just 'take it in when I have time.' The recall notice specifically says to wait til they contact me again to schedule service. And we all know that Tesla service takes FOREVER.

Third, this recall was known for years and my car was with Tesla for months before I purchased it. Records say it came off lease in May and then I bought it in November so they had all Summer to do the necessary work. They had ample time to perform this service. It leads me to think the company (like many) prioritize the bottom line profits over efficiency and good service. It just feels like Tesla is penny-pinching rather than building a company to be proud of.

Fourth, this is not the first issue I'm having with the company. My experience so far with Tesla is definitely sub-par.

Have you read any of the information regarding this recall? The replacement parts are in short supply given the magnitude of the recall. The NHTSA and ALL car manufacturers are working together to allocate the available parts to the most affected vehicles. The replacement schedule is just now getting to our cars, it has nothing to do with Tesla's choice of when to do it or Tesla being penny pinching. Tesla is doing EXACTLY what it is being asked to do, they cannot do it any earlier because they cant get the parts. Your car is perfectly safe, it is not a sample size thing, it is known that the problem occurs in high heat and high humidity environments over a period of many years.