Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Takata Air Bag Recall - STILL!?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a notice 3 days ago that my 2016 CPO that I bought nearly 2 months ago needs to come in for airbag replacements. WTF??? Seriously? This Takata airbag issue has been known for years and years now. And my car was supposedly inspected and deemed safe to drive before I took delivery. So now to find out that my car didn't get new airbags when it was most convenient for all involved and instead we all have to waste time and effort doing it later - at some time to be determined. Meanwhile I should continue driving this car with potentially lethal 'grenade' style airbags???

One of the reasons I wanted a Tesla is because they are supposed to be SAFE.
This isn't safe, doesn't make me feel safe, and makes me mad.

related: Model S Safety Update
Ive noticed (in my 2014 car anyway) that the passenger airbag has been deactivated and cannot be activated. I wonder if Tesla have forced this off until the recall?

Also, during a recall, can I request some free checks while they have they car or would that be cheeky?

December 2016 S75D here. Living in MA. Got the email to schedule a service for the recall 3 weeks ago. I scheduled it for two weeks after. A Tesla Ranger (I mean Tesla Remote Service :) ) came, replaced the airbag and gone. It took him 45 minutes or so. I didn’t have to move (other than giving him the key fob). Good experience here...

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I remember getting a letter about my car's airbags a year or two ago, saying that the car would be recalled at a later date. So I agree with some others who have posted above, saying that they were aware of the future need to replace the airbags.
I received a second letter a month or two back, saying that my airbags would be replaced when the parts were available, etc. That letter came at about the time that there was a story in the newspapers and online that cars were being recalled for Teslas in the 2014-2016 range, as well as thousands of other cars by other manufacturers.
This happens continually, as someone else noted. There was a story just last night that certain Subarus are being recalled for the same thing.
What I wonder about is whether the industry and the regulators should be allowing Takata to make the replacement airbags. I suppose the answer is that Takata is obligated to do it and will do it for free. But should we trust them? I guess we have no choice. Meanwhile, I await my summons to have mine replaced.
On a similar note, I got the letter a year or so ago saying that Tesla was doing a voluntary recall of steering bolts that could corrode. Mine actually failed before i was called in. I hope the airbag detonators don't follow that pattern...!

The Tesla Ranger who visited me last week said he would be back to replace my airbag when he got some replacements in stock.

[He doesn't much like doing them because the dash is difficult to disassemble in the cold without damage (wants the car preheated first) and he seemed uncomfortable working with the explosive charge. Training on airbags must have been "interesting"...]

First, the Takata airbag issue has been known for YEARS and it's been known that ALL their airbags are likely defective. They have killed people and just because that hasn't happened in a Tesla yet doesn't make it safe or NBD. It's likely simply a sample size thing.

Second, I can't just 'take it in when I have time.' The recall notice specifically says to wait til they contact me again to schedule service. And we all know that Tesla service takes FOREVER.

Third, this recall was known for years and my car was with Tesla for months before I purchased it. Records say it came off lease in May and then I bought it in November so they had all Summer to do the necessary work. They had ample time to perform this service. It leads me to think the company (like many) prioritize the bottom line profits over efficiency and good service. It just feels like Tesla is penny-pinching rather than building a company to be proud of.

Fourth, this is not the first issue I'm having with the company. My experience so far with Tesla is definitely sub-par.
Takata has been slow to identify the problem airbags and even slower to provide replacement parts. This is industry-wide. My Mom's 2006 Audi finally had its airbag replaced last year. They just replaced my 2015 Model S airbag last month.
Relax and enjoy your car. (It's safe.)

2015 70D here. I first received an email from Tesla about the airbag recall in Jan 2017, basically saying it would be replaced at some future date and not to worry in the meantime. Received a second email about this in Jan 2019, saying they're now working on scheduling replacements for 2016-2018 models.

My car was in for annual service in January and I asked that they take care of the airbag recall (and steering bolt recall) at the same time. For whatever reason they somehow forgot to do the airbag during the appointment, but scheduled a followup visit by Mobile Service a week or so later to come to my house. It took the mobile service technician about 50 minutes total to do the work (btw it's only the front passenger airbag that's affected by the recall)

unrelated service note: while the mobile service technician was here, he checked to see if my "liftgate drain plugs" in my car were the newest version (they already were). He said the new style plugs are designed to let moisture out of the hatch and prevent the problem of condensation in the tail lights. My service invoice showed this drain plug issue as "Corrections: SB-19-11-001 - not applicable", I assume that's a service bulletin number. just fyi

...unrelated service note: while the mobile service technician was here, he checked to see if my "liftgate drain plugs" in my car were the newest version (they already were). He said the new style plugs are designed to let moisture out of the hatch and prevent the problem of condensation in the tail lights. My service invoice showed this drain plug issue as "Corrections: SB-19-11-001 - not applicable", I assume that's a service bulletin number. just fyi
I had the tailgate drain plugs replaced by a ranger last week. I still had the old ones in place.

2015 70D here. I first received an email from Tesla about the airbag recall in Jan 2017, basically saying it would be replaced at some future date and not to worry in the meantime. Received a second email about this in Jan 2019, saying they're now working on scheduling replacements for 2016-2018 models.

My car was in for annual service in January and I asked that they take care of the airbag recall (and steering bolt recall) at the same time. For whatever reason they somehow forgot to do the airbag during the appointment, but scheduled a followup visit by Mobile Service a week or so later to come to my house. It took the mobile service technician about 50 minutes total to do the work (btw it's only the front passenger airbag that's affected by the recall)

unrelated service note: while the mobile service technician was here, he checked to see if my "liftgate drain plugs" in my car were the newest version (they already were). He said the new style plugs are designed to let moisture out of the hatch and prevent the problem of condensation in the tail lights. My service invoice showed this drain plug issue as "Corrections: SB-19-11-001 - not applicable", I assume that's a service bulletin number. just fyi
The mobile service is great.
I called them to fix my door handle ($226) and they also replaced the airbag, steering box bolts and the rear hatch drain plugs.

Reactions: dgpcolorado