Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Takata airbag recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla Ranger came over to my house a couple months ago to replace the passenger airbag in my Model S due to the Takata recall. It was replaced in about an hour. I didn't have to do anything. Tesla service called to schedule an appointment.

The original recalls focused on cars in high humidity environments like Florida and Hawaii, but have been expanded. I tried to find a list of the model years involved in actual injuries, but only found a Time magazine article that said the first five fatalities that started the recall included Model years 2000 to 2008.

A Tesla Ranger came over to my house a couple months ago to replace the passenger airbag in my Model S due to the Takata recall. It was replaced in about an hour. I didn't have to do anything. Tesla service called to schedule an appointment.

That’s interesting that a ranger was able to replace your airbag. I called Tesla last week to inquire about a ranger replacing mine and was told the repair is too extensive and I would need to bring my car into the service center. Only problem is I’m over 500 miles from a service center. Also I don’t live within range of a supercharger so I’m basically out of luck. After explaining this to the Lady at the service center she just kept asking me to check my calendar and let them know a date that will work to bring my car in.

My car is a 2012 Model, am I safe driving around another year until Tesla builds superchargers in my state allowing me to finally reach a service center?

I get a little anxious as I’ve heard some people describe my airbag as a ticking time bomb...

That’s interesting that a ranger was able to replace your airbag. I called Tesla last week to inquire about a ranger replacing mine and was told the repair is too extensive and I would need to bring my car into the service center. Only problem is I’m over 500 miles from a service center. Also I don’t live within range of a supercharger so I’m basically out of luck. After explaining this to the Lady at the service center she just kept asking me to check my calendar and let them know a date that will work to bring my car in.

My car is a 2012 Model, am I safe driving around another year until Tesla builds superchargers in my state allowing me to finally reach a service center?

I get a little anxious as I’ve heard some people describe my airbag as a ticking time bomb...
If you're in a cold climate, there's probably no problem. The dangerous chemical changes seem to be linked to high heat and humidity (eg. Florida).

I was just contacted by Tesla service in Tysons VA to schedule a ranger visit for the airbag. This will be a first for me in 5 years of ownership, I have always brought the car to the service center. The turn around on scheduling was nice and short too, contacted Thursday night by email, replied to them Friday morning and they confirmed the appointment for this Monday. Very nice!

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
I had my airbag replaced this week. Although I like my local service center, having service done at my house was really great. Super convenient, extremely fast appointment scheduling and technician was great. Honestly, as a Tesla enthusiast, getting the chance to speak directly to the person fixing the car is really great (as opposed to the service manager etc). I see this mobile service as a great opportunity to prove to owners how simple/low maintenance a Tesla can be. If you do need service, at least it is painless in terms of disruption of your day. And the repair was fast, 45 minutes tops.

Another data point and a warning to you if you are about to do the passenger airbag recall....

I have a 2013 S. Brought it to the San Diego service center for an annual service, a TPMS needs service message, and one door handle that wouldn’t open the door from the outside. Super friendly service intake and good service especially considering how busy and congested the service center is.

Picked up the car, get in, and see that there is a huge delamination or bubble all along the top right of the center screen. I go back in, and they call a tech over to look at it. He says, well, it might of been like this before. He is saying we didn’t do anything near this, then he sees the airbag recall was done. Which looks to me like that means the dash top came out and this probably happened in the process. He wants to argue that either it was already like this, or this was a random delamination that just happened to occur now as its a common problem.

The screen was fine when the car was dropped off. Luckily I am still under a CPO warranty so we don’t really need to have a fight over if its their fault or not. They ordered a center display and said they would call when the part was in to schedule a mobile service intstall.

But if you are out of warranty - and about to do the airbag recall, I’d take a picture documenting your good center screen right before the service as apparently damage to it is a possibility.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve