TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TAKATA RECALL 2012-16 MS

Discussion in 'Model S' started by zackmilo, Aug 7, 2017.

1. zackmilo

zackmilo No chrome for me!

Just looked at cars affected by recall and it includes 2012-2016 model s. Has anyone heard about this? Here is a quote from NHTSA. It says, "Takata air bags installed in tens of millions of U.S. vehicles are subject to recall due to a safety defect that may cause the air bag inflators to explode and cause serious injury or death"

Takata Air Bags

2. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

• Like x 1
  3. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I just got a class action lawsuit notification from my previous BMW on this. Apparently, I might be entitled to some money if there are funds remaining. Not sure if Tesla is included in any lawsuits.

4. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Comforting to know that a safety device may kill you :rolleyes:

5. zackmilo

zackmilo No chrome for me!

I know right!

• Like x 1
  6. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I got a notice about it a few months back saying they would contact me when they were ready to do the recall. Today I got that call and my recall will be performed on Wednesday. This is for my 2012 Signature series Model S. I am assuming they will be performing the recall more or less in order based on the age of the car. So if they are still on Signature series cars they have a long ways to go to hit cars made in 2016. I also have a September 2013 Model S and it is not scheduled yet.

7. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I got a letter about this. I think they are working on the 2012s for now. I have a 2013 and have not been notified yet that I am due. I have been to the service center several times, and I always forget to ask about it.

8. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Apparently, the notifications for Takata airbag recalls take into account both how old the car is and how humid your climate is. The ammonium nitrate Takata used as an explosive absorbs moisture over time, which makes it unstable. Accordingly, people living in humid climates are more susceptible to airbag malfunction. For example, people living in Florida often get their recall notices before people living in Arizona. At least that is what I read somewhere... I think it was an article in Bloomberg.

• Informative x 1
  9. dss33

dss33 Member

Came here to say what you said. That's exactly right. We were notified about it in a letter for our 2016 S, but told they'd reach back out when it's necessary. I'm sure if you pushed your SC to do the replacement early, they would, but it sounds like it's really something that only becomes an issue over time (4+ years).

10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

The only problem I have with the humidity requirement is how often used cars are shipped across country. My truck (not involved in the recall) was in Houston when I bought it. My 2013 was up in San Jose and our 2015 is from Conneticut.

But I live in the desert. So does my Conneticut car get in earlier than other California 2015's? It spent 30k miles on the more humid east coast.

11. ev-now

ev-now Member

I'm in CO, but my 2015 was from CA - I was told they are factoring where the car has been and for how long - not where it is now.

12. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

With all the data gathered by Tesla, I suppose it would be easy to know exactly how long their cars have been in specific climates.

• Like x 1