Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TAKATA RECALL 2012-16 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a notice about it a few months back saying they would contact me when they were ready to do the recall. Today I got that call and my recall will be performed on Wednesday. This is for my 2012 Signature series Model S. I am assuming they will be performing the recall more or less in order based on the age of the car. So if they are still on Signature series cars they have a long ways to go to hit cars made in 2016. I also have a September 2013 Model S and it is not scheduled yet.

I got a letter about this. I think they are working on the 2012s for now. I have a 2013 and have not been notified yet that I am due. I have been to the service center several times, and I always forget to ask about it.

I got a letter about this. I think they are working on the 2012s for now. I have a 2013 and have not been notified yet that I am due. I have been to the service center several times, and I always forget to ask about it.
Apparently, the notifications for Takata airbag recalls take into account both how old the car is and how humid your climate is. The ammonium nitrate Takata used as an explosive absorbs moisture over time, which makes it unstable. Accordingly, people living in humid climates are more susceptible to airbag malfunction. For example, people living in Florida often get their recall notices before people living in Arizona. At least that is what I read somewhere... I think it was an article in Bloomberg.

• Informative
Reactions: dss33
Apparently, the notifications for Takata airbag recalls take into account both how old the car is and how humid your climate is. The ammonium nitrate Takata used as an explosive absorbs moisture over time, which makes it unstable. Accordingly, people living in humid climates are more susceptible to airbag malfunction. For example, people living in Florida often get their recall notices before people living in Arizona. At least that is what I read somewhere... I think it was an article in Bloomberg.

Came here to say what you said. That's exactly right. We were notified about it in a letter for our 2016 S, but told they'd reach back out when it's necessary. I'm sure if you pushed your SC to do the replacement early, they would, but it sounds like it's really something that only becomes an issue over time (4+ years).

The only problem I have with the humidity requirement is how often used cars are shipped across country. My truck (not involved in the recall) was in Houston when I bought it. My 2013 was up in San Jose and our 2015 is from Conneticut.

But I live in the desert. So does my Conneticut car get in earlier than other California 2015's? It spent 30k miles on the more humid east coast.

The only problem I have with the humidity requirement is how often used cars are shipped across country. My truck (not involved in the recall) was in Houston when I bought it. My 2013 was up in San Jose and our 2015 is from Conneticut.

But I live in the desert. So does my Conneticut car get in earlier than other California 2015's? It spent 30k miles on the more humid east coast.

I'm in CO, but my 2015 was from CA - I was told they are factoring where the car has been and for how long - not where it is now.

So oddly I just got an email from Tesla today to inform that the recall has expanded (?) to vehicles from 2014 through 2016 and I might be approached for a replacement service. CA car never outside of California.

I took it for an unrelated service a few days ago. I wonder if it was flagged in their system as a result...

So oddly I just got an email from Tesla today to inform that the recall has expanded (?) to vehicles from 2014 through 2016 and I might be approached for a replacement service. CA car never outside of California.

I took it for an unrelated service a few days ago. I wonder if it was flagged in their system as a result...
I also just got the email...about an hour ago...haven't been to a SC yet as my CPO was just purchased in Oct....the email states that its on a rolling schedule...and those with 2014-mid 2016, its now their turn....after mid 2016, different airbags used so we are the last of the recalled models left to redo the airbags

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
I also got the email. I wonder if can be done by mobile service? I'd rather not make a 600 mile two day trip to the service center just for air bag replacement.

The humidity is typically fairly high in my car this time of the year due to melting snow on the floor mats. I usually leave the passenger side window open to help ventilate the car but there is melting snow in the garage too. I hope that seasonal humidity doesn't affect the air bag inflators too much.

I also got the email. I wonder if can be done by mobile service? I'd rather not make a 600 mile two day trip to the service center just for air bag replacement.

The humidity is typically fairly high in my car this time of the year due to melting snow on the floor mats. I usually leave the passenger side window open to help ventilate the car but there is melting snow in the garage too. I hope that doesn't affect the air bag inflators too much.

from the FAQ: I have a 2012-2016 Model S – does the airbag have to be replaced at a Tesla Service Center?
No. Mobile Service, which is widely available, can replace the airbag at the convenience of your home, office or other location.

• Helpful
Reactions: NoirMS
from the FAQ: I have a 2012-2016 Model S – does the airbag have to be replaced at a Tesla Service Center?
No. Mobile Service, which is widely available, can replace the airbag at the convenience of your home, office or other location.
Thanks for that. Mobile service would be a big help and they are often in my area anyway (lots of Teslas here).