Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take a different MY or wait indefinitely..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a little background. I placed a MY order a few months ago, originally I had planned on just getting the Stealth MY Performance, but then I saw something about PUP's getting out sooner, so I switched to that. I personally think there are pro's and con's of each. I mean as much as I love the 21" wheels they are impracticable and I would have to switch them out eventually, it snows here after all. That said, I do like the upgraded brakes. I also could go either way on the ~10mm lower suspension so that's a toss up, same with the CF spoiler, and don't really care about the aluminum pedals.

With all that said, today Tesla is saying my car that I ordered, the White MY Performance with PUP is in Fremont but they can't even ping it so they are saying they have no clue if or when that car would even make its way over here, pretty much saying to me, going to have to wait for the factory to re-open. Well today they said they could give me a White MY Stealth Performance (VIN 24XX).

So today I went to go check it out. Overall I thought the car's fit and finish was really good. The rear hatch didn't have any defects I could see, panel alignment was good as well, not 100%, but about 98%, smaller gaps then my Honda ;) The only issues I saw were these.

1. Passenger seat behind the driver seat wouldn't fold down when the button was pulled.. seems to be common and is fixable so not an issue.
2. Driver side B pillar, the inside cover is a little separated from where it should be, so has a small gap. Again easily fixed so not an issue.
3. This is the bigger one. The edge of the paint between the hood and the driver fender has scuffing about 4" long. You don't even see it if your looking head on at the car, only from an angle, and even then its on the inside lip, not the top edge. That said, they told me the body shop could fix it, would take a couple days but they could get it done. Obviously this one is not a simple replace a broken clip or push some molding in etc... Paint issues are always the sticky point, even if its a minor one like this I feel (granted not as minor as a simple chip).

Right now I am leaning towards taking this one as who knows when another will come, and originally this was the version of the car I wanted.

I know its my choice at the end of the day but always open to hearing from others what they would do?

It's what you originally wanted and is available. Paint is always fixable. White paint is the easiest to fix. Trim even easier to fix. Later if you want the PUP stuff, you can always pay for it and mount. Just costs you a bit...

No brainer. Go for it and don't look back. Life is short. Good luck!

SS

I switched interior colors (white to black) to get it now and am thrilled, just make sure you'll be happy with whatever you get since you'll be living with it. I personally get a lot of joy just driving it around, and while all else being equal I would've chosen the white interior, it wasn't all equal! That said, there are certainly some things I wouldn't have traded and that is personal preference, but I don't think it's totally unreasonable to adjust to what is actually available, people do it all the time when they buy cars off the lot that aren't exactly how they would've otherwised spec'd them. Instant gratification FTW (but again, do what makes you happy in the short and long term, not what you think you "should" do either way).

Reactions: empiredown
I think the biggest thing holding me back is the brakes. Those are some nice brake calipers on the PUP... But then again I am sure I could really just install them if I wanted for a few thousand, which is what I would have had to pay to get wheels and tires to replace the 21s.. kind of break even when you think about it.

You could just paint your non pup calipers red if it's the cool color you are after. Who needs breaks with regen anyway ;). I'd jump on it. That's the spec you wanted. I'm also biased because that's the spec I am waiting on also (except white interior).

You could just paint your non pup calipers red if it's the cool color you are after. Who needs breaks with regen anyway ;). I'd jump on it. That's the spec you wanted. I'm also biased because that's the spec I am waiting on also (except white interior).

It was more the type of calipers vs the color. But yeah under most circumstances they work the same.

Sounds like this is just the car you want. Fixes sound relatively easy. Gonna be hard to find an early production Y without some sort of imperfection. Grab it!

Reason I say this is that perhaps when the factory starts up again their will once again be little issues until everybody gets up to speed.

After thinking about this more over the weekend, I think what I am getting most hung up on is the wheels and brakes... I understand the aerodynamic properties of the Gemini wheels.. but I just am not a big fan of them as much as I try to convince myself. Also the rubber on these Gemini wheels is pretty poor, lots of bad reviews on tirerack. So I probably would find myself getting some 20" wheels (Induction most likely) no matter what trim I pick :( Plus more then likely the stock rubber doesn't have a warranty and would be worn down by 35k miles...

Then on top of that, getting the better PUP "red" brakes for essentially free seems to make sense to me even more, its not like Tesla is giving a discount on the Stealth if you choose that one with the "silver" brakes.

Of course saying all this means I will probably be waiting at least 2 more months for a car, but probably 3 is more likely... But at the end of the day I think its what will make me the happiest, and if I want to keep this car for 5+ years, I can wait another 3 months I feel.

So if anyone wants a White/Black Stealth P in Northern VA... Tyco should have one.