TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Take a friend on a test drive

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jackl1956, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

I have a friend who is a conservative republican. Listens to "Rush". Yeah, yeah, I know. He is a rabid Tesla naysayer. What can I say, he's my friend. Under a false pretense, I normally don't lie, I am going with him to the mall. It is my intent to take him on a Model S test drive. Nefarious?

2. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

I hope you don't mind being the center of attraction during the kicking and screaming episode. Good luck! *Friends don't let friends remain ignorant about Tesla* :)

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I suppose it would be if you put him in the frunk.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If you're not against "unveiling the surprise early" and you are comfortable with "friendly bets", bet him $100 that he will be impressed with the vehicle after the test drive. At worst, it costs you $100 to get him to drive the vehicle willingly.

If he turns down the $100 bet, you have something to hang over his head forever. Priceless.

5. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

I had a similar experience the other day. A friend I rarely see just started working at a Chrysler dealership in upper sales. I was curious to see what his feelings were about Tesla's marketing strategy of not using franchises (he did not know we have a Roadster) . The next thing I knew, he was in a tirade about how the stock is overpriced, the cars are overpriced, and the cars and company are generally overhyped crap. I mentioned that our Roadster was outside. Without missing a beat, he went on about how beautiful it was and he needed to go out and look at it more closely. About halfan hour later, I was being pelted with curious questions about the car and company. This ended with him saying that he was going to send Tesla his resume later in the week.

I think you are going to have a great time with your Republican friend. Please post the whole discourse here for all to enjoy ;-D

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

By the way,

National Plug in Day is dedicated to this activity. If you can't attend a local gathering, then this is the designated day to go out and find one or more people who know nothing about EVs and give them a ride/drive. Lets see how many Teslaficionados we can make in one day!

National Plug In Day 2013: Sept 28/29

7. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

We went to the event in St Petersburg last year and had a great time.

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Heh. Perhaps all should think "Who is the John Petersen in my life?", and go seek him or her out in the most appropriate (benign, evasive, provocative or whatever you think would work best) way. Convert THAT person and all the rest will be a cakewalk!

9. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Not at all. Tell him that Tesla just started to sell an OEM hybrid model from Lexus under their badge, and that you want to check it out together with him. Then, after the test drive, ask the Tesla sales rep with your friend listening "I thought the range extender would kick in after 2 miles or so?". Finish the demonstration by having a look in the 'engine bay'.

10. evme

evme Member

There is no need to trick him or anything, just bring out the car. I am pretty sure 90% that don't like it for political reasons don't even know what it looks like. If he ask what kind of car it is, tell him its a "Model S". The goal would be to avoid saying Tesla until he gets to experience the car. But no need to get into lying about things, there are ways to answer questions in a round about way without resorting to lying. You can even play a little guess game and give him a hint that it is made in America.

Try to stay away from getting political.

11. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

My poor distraught long time friend and (my) BMW salesman drove my P85 and then the P85+ when it showed up. Still a friend but lost a customer. He's a little bummed as I think he sees the writing on the wall.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

You're more patient than I am. I would have said something like, "Ah. Ok. If that's how you feel about it you obviously won't want a ride in my Roadster" and started walking out. The backpedalling scene would be worth recording.

13. Effects

Effects Member

Guess I'm confused. I'm a political conservative. I think the Tesla is great. Am I supposed to have another idea because I'm conservative?

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

It all goes back to the DoE loan that's been paid off since, Mitt Romney branding Tesla a loser last year, that anything "green" is probably a pseudo-liberal agenda and so on...

15. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#15 SwedishAdvocate, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I certainly hope not!

Though it would have been nice if a certain media corporation could have been onboard from the get-go…

16. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

#16 dsmith2189, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    you could make it into a movie and have the catch phrase be "Who is John Gault?"
    Instead of a car you can use a train or even a hyperloop public transport.
    and in the movie all the politicians can try to take the company down, but can't because it is a quality product.

17. Electric Dreamer

Wow, according to this thread, you have to be a democrat to drive a Tesla? Guess I broke the mold when we bought our Model S. Hubby works for a major oil company and is a conservative . We love our S! Hopefully this ends yet another segregation issue. Everyone can drive a Tesla! Share the love:love:

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It's so much simpler to just pigeonhole everyone. Keeps the cognitive load lower.

19. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

dsmith,
    I'm on board.

Who is Elon Musk????????????????????????????

20. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

In September the Italian Tesla Store, which is in Milan, will move for a week to Rome. On that occasion many friends of mine will test the Model S and, maybe but I still am not sure, also a Football Champion. I will not say the name of this Champion because I don't know if I will manage to make him test the Model S; I can only say that he is a Champion of the World.