Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Take control immediately" (not using any Autopilot features)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was driving and got a beep with a message "Take control immediately" with some small print below (too small to read quickly).

However, it popped up in rather odd circumstances:
  • Not using any driver assistance (Autopilot) features (traffic-aware cruise control or autosteer).
  • Hand firmly on the wheel, entering a curve.
  • Staying in the lane, not crossing the line at the edge of the roadway or making an unsignaled lane change.
  • Not following closely behind another vehicle.
  • No debris or obstacles in the road.
  • No activation of automatic emergency braking.
Software is 2022.16.3.

What would cause that message to pop up?

Also, the position of the message low on the screen with some small print that is unreadable quickly is bad UI for what seems to be an emergency message. Emergency messages should pop up in larger font near the top of the screen to be more visible while the driver is still looking at the road.

Reactions: Tpstulane
So I was driving and got a beep with a message "Take control immediately" with some small print below (too small to read quickly).

• Not using any driver assistance (Autopilot) features (traffic-aware cruise control or autosteer).
  • Hand firmly on the wheel, entering a curve.
  • Staying in the lane, not crossing the line at the edge of the roadway or making an unsignaled lane change.
  • Not following closely behind another vehicle.
  • No debris or obstacles in the road.
  • No activation of automatic emergency braking.
Software is 2022.16.3.

What would cause that message to pop up?

Also, the position of the message low on the screen with some small print that is unreadable quickly is bad UI for what seems to be an emergency message. Emergency messages should pop up in larger font near the top of the screen to be more visible while the driver is still looking at the road.
Perhaps it was a software crash of some kind. It takes several seconds for the system to reboot. Did it return to normal after the error?

Your issue sounds like a false AEB activation. My assumption is there’s something that essentially caused an illusion for the AEB system to transiently freak out, then it figured out what was going on and fixed itself.

Tesla’s poor UI decisions with v11 are Legend.

Reactions: Mikecm1
I get this sometimes, alway driving manually. It's just like when you do cross the lane line, so seems to be just active lane keep assist functionality.

It's so bad for me that I turned off the lane keep assist entirely. If I go on a long trip alone, I set it to warning, for some protection, but I don't trust it.

The worst was on a poorly paved road, and it mis judged the road edge, started warning about take control immediately, and then said something like corrective steering has been applied. I never felt any corrective steering.

Another time was the same, but in deep snow on a side street, it actually tried to swerve onto the median, over a curb. Had to yank it back.

Several times it's done it on clear dry roads with no lane lines, when it can't tell where the road edge is, just like you described above.

I've not had any when I have lane keep assist entirely off.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
It's a message from the Collision Avoidance Assist system. I get one every time I drive forward down my driveway a bit too quickly. It thinks I'm going to hit my neighbor's mailbox.

As to what circumstances set your off, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. My previous car use to always register a false collision warning because of a dip in the road near my house. It thought I was going to crash into... the road. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
I get warnings like this every few weeks almost always in two or three specific locations. Re-calibrating the cameras didn't make a difference. sometimes the warning says the car took over the steering but there is no indication this actually happened. About six months ago I was getting the warnings on the highway which was disconcerting but it hasn't happened for a while so that may have been fixed.

The fine print should be available in "Service" --> "Notifications" (button on the upper right)

I agree with your UI complaints. I imagine Tesla thinks/hopes the need for these warnings will diminish and go away soon.

Tesla needs to have these critical warning messages stay on the screen long enough to read them. I've had several similar instances, and it is soooo frustrating not to be able to actually see what the warning was. I understand that it is likely alerting to an automated system response, and that you can go into the service screen to check on recent alerts, but it would be nice to know what is happening (or not happening) at the precise time it occurs. Alternatively, maybe Tesla can offer a speed reading class lol

Tesla needs to have these critical warning messages stay on the screen long enough to read them. I've had several similar instances, and it is soooo frustrating not to be able to actually see what the warning was. I understand that it is likely alerting to an automated system response, and that you can go into the service screen to check on recent alerts, but it would be nice to know what is happening (or not happening) at the precise time it occurs. Alternatively, maybe Tesla can offer a speed reading class lol

Any "emergency" message should be in large font across the top of the screen, not in small font at the bottom of the screen.

Reactions: cruiserlarry
I couldn't agree with you all more! One of the reasons I set up a dashcam to record the screen and traffic was to analyze stuff like this. Frustrating that I can't read the text in the video and can't read it while responding to the usually unexplained red steering wheel and beepage when normally driving. Most recently it showed up using FSD beta. Could not figure out why.

Last edited:
In line with this are the occasional multi-beep warnings that are not accompanied by any visual indication. Would be helpful at least for these things to go into the user-accessible log.
^^^Definitely this^^^
I remember some of the really annoying FSD alerts that were impossible to see because I was busy stopping FSDb from doing something stupid, but the alert appears and almost immediately disappears.
It took having a passenger to be checking the screen to see what was happening.
That was that fun time when FSDb would mistake "tar lines on the road" as pedestrians - yay

Reactions: cruiserlarry

• Not using any driver assistance (Autopilot) features (traffic-aware cruise control or autosteer)....
How far away from using Autopilot features? Sometimes I take control through steering wheel pressure and/or braking and then 30-40 seconds later will get the "Take control immediately!" panic alarm even though those features hadn't been reenabled.

Also, in 10.12.3 I've been getting the "Take control immediately" alarm sometimes on a particular highway that goes from being a regular highway to limited access (Interstate) highway with no ramps or transition other than just designation in the mapping data. It never did this here before 10.12.3 - would just switch from Autosteer on City Streets to Navigate on Autopilot at that spot.

Last edited:
How far away from using Autopilot features? Sometimes I take control through steering wheel pressure and/or braking and then 30-40 seconds later will get the "Take control immediately!" panic alarm even though those features hadn't been reenabled.

Also, in 10.12.3 I've been getting the "Take control immediately" alarm sometimes on a particular highway that goes from being a regular highway to limited access (Interstate) highway with no ramps or transition other than just designation in the mapping data. It never did this here before 10.12.3 - would just switch from Autosteer on City Streets to Navigate on Autopilot at that spot.
Was not using any Autopilot features recently when that message occurred.

The road was a freeway, but approaching a ramp to go to another freeway.

On my way in my M3 red banner appeared in the screen saying Take control immediately. I was on my block with both hands on the wheel going 20 mph with both hands on wheel and was not using cuise. This banner popped up a few weeks ago when I was in traffic going 55 but not using cruise. A second computer issue has been the blind spot moniter occ shows a black space when i turn on the directional. This occurs both right and left. If I center the turn stalk and then hit it again it works.The mobile mechanic came out to check the blind spot moniter but without time of the error he couldn't help. I'll catch it the next time it happens. I already did a reboot with no changes. I was suprised they insist on coming out for this computer problem and couldn't just do it logging in. I tried to contact tesla to see if there was something they could advise me to do but they have no phone number to call. Should I keep them coming out for these compuer gliches? I'm asking readers if there is something I could fix with out them coming out?

I get this a lot, mostly on dirt roads or poor road surfaces. I turned off all lane departure warning and emergency lane departure. Still get it sometimes.

You can call Tesla. Look up the number for the closest service center. It's VM hell, but eventually you can get through, or at least get a call back. Once you're talking to a live rep, I've found them really helpful (but I'm in a small market, not a crushing backlog here).