Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take Delivery or Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have placed our MY order already and it won’t be here till sometime mid November. We are in no rush for it and were wondering if we are better off waiting till after Battery Day announcement for a possible change?

Well if the Y won't be here until November, any updates will most likely be included. You can just confirm this with your delivery person before pickup.

But most likely battery day improvements are going to S/X/Roadster/CT... but I'd want to wait to see too :)

We have placed our MY order already and it won’t be here till sometime mid November. We are in no rush for it and were wondering if we are better off waiting till after Battery Day announcement for a possible change?
It would be absolutely silly for Tesla to announce new battery tech for current models in production. This would hurt demand big time as people decide to wait. Tesla can't afford that. I expect battery day will be about products that will require massive batteries like Semi and Cybertruck, and trickle down to other products over time.

It would be absolutely silly for Tesla to announce new battery tech for current models in production. This would hurt demand big time as people decide to wait. Tesla can't afford that. I expect battery day will be about products that will require massive batteries like Semi and Cybertruck, and trickle down to other products over time.
If “over time” is 1-2 years, there will still be many people that would wait depending on what’s announced.

The S needs a refresh, if not redo. Plaid is not likely not that far off, and would likely be coupled with improved battery tech. This would allow for space to increase Y/3 performance, assuming that’s something Tesla could monetize.

Battery day is in less than a month. Unless you need a car ASAP, why not wait?

If “over time” is 1-2 years, there will still be many people that would wait depending on what’s announced.

The S needs a refresh, if not redo. Plaid is not likely not that far off, and would likely be coupled with improved battery tech. This would allow for space to increase Y/3 performance, assuming that’s something Tesla could monetize.

Battery day is in less than a month. Unless you need a car ASAP, why not wait?
yeah, wait if you like... no argument there. Since we're all just speculating here, I'm speculating that 3/Y will not get the new battery tech update anytime soon.

Waiting for for new technology is a fools game. The next year model will always be better no matter what you buy.

If what's offered works for you and the price makes sense then it makes no sense not to go out and buy it. Even if they announce new tech that makes existing batteries crap it doesn't matter for 3 reason.

1. The resale value is going to stay high for a Y for a long time. Unless people stop buying tesla's you will probaly be able to buy a new one in 3 years and just adopt new tech then. The early adopters will be the ones with the highest resale and something like a new battery would most likely have a lead time of a year or 2.

2. Even if the battery is way better you probably not going to see a increase in range because a 300 mile battery will always be cheaper then a 500 mile battery. The market doesn't dictate us needing a battery that goes 500 miles in a model y.

3. In 10 years when you need a replacement battery (if you even own the car) you will be able to buy the new battery anyways.

Waiting for for new technology is a fools game. The next year model will always be better no matter what you buy.

If what's offered works for you and the price makes sense then it makes no sense not to go out and buy it. Even if they announce new tech that makes existing batteries crap it doesn't matter for 3 reason.

1. The resale value is going to stay high for a Y for a long time. Unless people stop buying tesla's you will probaly be able to buy a new one in 3 years and just adopt new tech then. The early adopters will be the ones with the highest resale and something like a new battery would most likely have a lead time of a year or 2.

2. Even if the battery is way better you probably not going to see a increase in range because a 300 mile battery will always be cheaper then a 500 mile battery. The market doesn't dictate us needing a battery that goes 500 miles in a model y.

3. In 10 years when you need a replacement battery (if you even own the car) you will be able to buy the new battery anyways.

While I agree that waiting for the best is going to be a cycle with Tesla, just like waiting for the best iPhone means you get to wait for ever since it (objectively) improves every year. The rest of your points are drivel at best.
1) Resale value is no different than other higher end/luxury cars from what I have seen
2) Completely false on both points. If technology improves, a 500 mile battery could easily be cheaper than what we have today, that is how technology works. I would love a 500 mile battery and until charging speed matches the speed I can fill my ICE tank, I will always take more battery life.
3) I hope i don't have to replace a battery in 10 years given the cost and it may or may not fit. If something changes where electronics have to charge or other technology differences it may or may not just be plug and play

Careful with the misinformation

While I agree that waiting for the best is going to be a cycle with Tesla, just like waiting for the best iPhone means you get to wait for ever since it (objectively) improves every year. The rest of your points are drivel at best.
1) Resale value is no different than other higher end/luxury cars from what I have seen
2) Completely false on both points. If technology improves, a 500 mile battery could easily be cheaper than what we have today, that is how technology works. I would love a 500 mile battery and until charging speed matches the speed I can fill my ICE tank, I will always take more battery life.
3) I hope i don't have to replace a battery in 10 years given the cost and it may or may not fit. If something changes where electronics have to charge or other technology differences it may or may not just be plug and play

Careful with the misinformation

Resale value no doubt is way higher for a Tesla look at the model S it's still insanely high for a car even though the tech improved vastly. Tesla isn't sitting on cars for 200 days on dealer lots like Ford or Dodge. As long as there is demand Tesla will have a good resale value.

There not changing the range that drastically for the Model Y/ 3 in the next year? The biggest issue with batteries is the cost per KW right now.

I also think 10 years for a battery is a good estimate. Like it or not a lot cars will be pushing 200k miles. To be honest if I got 200k out an ICE car I would be pretty happy. Replacing a battery is no different then rebuilding an engine or transmission in cost. Being able to make it work is not going to be an issue.

If a new battery doesn't fit in the current model Y/3 frame I doubt Tesla would go to the expense to retool a factory.

If you want a Model Y go out and buy one. If something better comes along in the next year or two then sell it and buy the newer model.

Reactions: Reborn