Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take delivery tomorrow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soooo... first post and very excited to be here.

I am scheduled for delivery tomorrow for a new S 100D. Been a fan of the company, cars and Musk for years and finally got to a point where I could (sort of) justify the purchase.

Are there common pain / awareness / caution points that anyone can point me to for new owners? Or should I just sit back and revel in this sweet vehicle when I drive it off the lot tomorrow? Any suggestions on how to get up to speed on the interface, tips, tricks, etc?

Reactions: Don TLR
Soooo... first post and very excited to be here.

I am scheduled for delivery tomorrow for a new S 100D. Been a fan of the company, cars and Musk for years and finally got to a point where I could (sort of) justify the purchase.

Are there common pain / awareness / caution points that anyone can point me to for new owners? Or should I just sit back and revel in this sweet vehicle when I drive it off the lot tomorrow? Any suggestions on how to get up to speed on the interface, tips, tricks, etc?

First, congrats on your new Tesla! :)

Second, you may feel the urge to rush through things so you can take your new baby for a spin, but take your time to go over the vehicle and make sure nothing is missing like your charging cable/adapters, license plate frames (both front and back of mine were missing), etc. The DS should walk you through everything on the vehicle. The biggest complaint lately has been paint imperfections or scratches. Accidents happen, no big deal, just make sure to document anything you feel should be fixed (but don't be too obsessive ;)). And make sure any extras/upgrades you may have paid for are there. Did you already download the app?

Third, take a ton of pictures of you having a blast and post them here!

Welcome to the family! :D

Reactions: Ormond
I can’t find this info anywhere but what exactly comes with a new Tesla. I’m picking mine up next week as well. Is there a list of all the items somewhere?

I don't think there is a cookie-cutter, all-encompassing list. Just check for the normal things like carpeted floor mats for the front and back rows, license plate frames, hard copy manuals, etc., and Tesla specific items like your Gen 2 charging cable bundle with adapters (pictured below). And obviously, any options you may have purchased (Enhanced AP, Ultra High Fidelity Sound, etc.). On occasion they forget to add software-enabled options that you ordered, so just have them show you how to use them and if they are not there, they can quickly add it (assuming you're at a service center). Good luck! :)
1139373-00-A_0.jpg

One thing I wish I knew, and embarrassingly took me too long to figure out: The button for the wind shield washers can be pressed at two depths. The first notch just activates a single wipe. The second notch turns on the washers. Before I realized that I had thought they sent me off the lot without washer fluid!

Thank you guys for the response. I’m supposed to take delivery soon but I’ll be out of the country. Trying to create a list of things for my wife to check on upon delivery. This stuff should help. Hoping for no paint defects etc

Delivery day was an interesting experience.

On the plus side, I had all the time I could have wished for to look the vehicle over. When the scheduler suggested it would only require about 15 minutes, I was a little concerned. But they had so much going on that I had a couple hours to carefully look over the vehicle, get used to the interface, ask questions, etc. The car was beautiful. The DS was helpful and earnest but pulled from their energy side to cover delivery demand, so wasn't extremely informed and had to get help for many of my questions.

On the room-for-improvement side, there were a couple items. First, they almost comically went out and found the hugest guy possible to intimidate you into hurrying through the paperwork when it came to signing. :) One surprise that came up was that they insisted I add the car to my insurance before driving off the lot. Supposedly this was a lender requirement but necessitated a scramble when I was otherwise ready to drive off the lot. It seems someone would have known that in all the time between my loan approval and taking delivery, but what do I know. To have the huge guy following me around and asking literally about every 90 seconds whether I had the email confirmation about the insurance yet was extremely annoying, particularly given I was talking with the DS trying to get a couple final questions answered. Finally, I missed a checklist item and, despite having my order in well before the free supercharging deadline, discovered that, at this juncture, it still shows as a 1 year credit for 400KW. They've assured me a correction is in process.

On the interesting side, one of the last questions I had was in reference to two little cards that were in the car and presumably valet cards. When I asked how they worked, the DS insisted they didn't go with the car and shouldn't be in there. Apparently they are only used with the M3?

All in all, it was a decent experience with some hiccoughs that clearly spoke to the strain they are under on the delivery side of the house. Post-sale communication was scattershot and expectation management almost non-existent.

Still, when thinking about the process vis a vis a usual new car buying experience, I don't think it was notably better or worse which, given how impressive the car ultimately is, I'll take!

Pictures to follow once I take a few with my cell phone. I see that the ones from my camera are too large for the forum.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions going into the delivery process. Much appreciated!