Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Take over steering wheel immediately" bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No42

Jun 25, 2018
WA
So, when you are on AP on a freeway, and press the go pedal to pass the car next to you and happen to exceed the AP auto-steer limit even for a sec (90mph I think) the car will yell on you to take over the steering immediately since it is beyond the limit.
The bug is you will not be able to engage the auto-steer any more until the end of the current trip like the car punishes you thinking you were not holding the steering or ignoring AP nags.

Have you guys noticed this?

I am on 2018.36.2

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and MP3Mike
So, when you are on AP on a freeway, and press the go pedal to pass the car next to you and happen to exceed the AP auto-steer limit even for a sec (90mph I think) the car will yell on you to take over the steering immediately since it is beyond the limit.
The bug is you will not be able to engage the auto-steer any more until the end of the current trip like the car punishes you thinking you were not holding the steering or ignoring AP nags.

Have you guys noticed this?

I am on 2018.36.2

Not a bug, Autosteer disables until it is placed in park if you are in AP and go over 90 MPH. You should get a warning saying it is unavailable for the rest of the drive after that happens (page 68 of manual). Same behavior as S and X. If you need to pass someone at that speed, disengage, pass, then reengage. 90 MPH is the upper limit of TACC, AEB, and lane departure warning also.

Well, I understand the motivation of "AP jail" when you ignore "hold the steering wheel" msg.
It is not clear though why you should not be able to re-engage the AP after the pass.
If it is not a bug, than even worse, it is poor designed feature.

As a side note, how they decided to punish you exactly like that in this case? I insist they also turn on the climate, seat heater and radio to max, block the windows, and disable power steering for example.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Well, I understand the motivation of "AP jail" when you ignore "hold the steering wheel" msg.
It is not clear though why you should not be able to re-engage the AP after the pass.
If it is not a bug, than even worse, it is poor designed feature.

As a side note, how they decided to punish you exactly like that in this case? I insist they also turn on the climate, seat heater and radio to max, block the windows, and disable power steering for example.

If you push the feature beyond its stated limits, the car takes the feature away from you, temporarily. Seems fair.

The other day my dishwasher punished me for loading too many items at once. Had to make dishes myself until next dinner.

Just kidding, that was my car, punishing me for driving her :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pkmmte
I imagine in Texas where the legal speed limit is up to 85mph on some highways, or in some EU counties with no speed limit highways it would be always impossible to pass without loosing the AP functionality if you forget to disengage it beforehand.

Stop saying panishing. At first I thought you made a typo but your doing it over and over. That is not a word.

Its a scary though that there are people trying to use AP at over 90Mph that cannot even spell.
If you're going to criticize the spelling of others, first learn the difference between "your" and "you're." ;)

Back on topic, it makes me wonder why people even have Autosteer on if they feel the need to manually drive and pass a vehicle at speeds over 90 mph. Turning it off first when you're taking control to do a passing maneuver seems like the best approach.

Last edited:
Back on topic, it makes me wonder why people even have Autosteer on if they feel the need to manually drive and pass a vehicle at speeds over 90 mph. Turning it off first when you're taking control to do a passing maneuver seems like the best approach.

Exactly. There should not be any contest on who is in control at that speed. I practice disengaging AP by resisting the wheel motion, but I wouldn't want to be making a quick takeover move at that speed. Not that I couldn't, but its a risk that I don't need to take.