Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take your time with your acceptance inspection (photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my Model Y on the 30th, I used the inspection checklist that a member provided to me in this POST.
It proved to be indispensable.
Before having the Tesla Rep unlock the vehicle, I spent about 45 minutes carefully going over the entire outside and underside of the car. I invited the Rep to go do his thing, and that I would let him know when I was ready for him, he seemed very cool with that and went and helped another customer. I found several issues during my thorough inspection.

1. Cracked triangular trim piece behind the passenger side mirror:

triangle-damage-1.jpg

2. I ordered mine with the tow package, and I assume all of this damage was caused by the clown that installed the trailer hitch and wiring. Damage to the rear bumper, and moderate damage and missing bolts on the under-bumper panels.

rear-damage-2.jpg

rear-damage-3.jpg

rear-damage-4.jpg

I also had him document a significant amount of moisture inside of the left rear taillight, and some deep scuffs and minor scratches on the rear bumper. One of the lower running boards under the right passenger door was sticking out about 1/4-1/3 of an inch which was also documented. Hopefully, these will all be repaired or the panels replaced soon.

Lesson? Don't hurry or be pressured to skimp on your acceptance inspection.

When I picked up my Model Y on the 30th, I used the inspection checklist that a member provided to me in this POST.
Before having the Tesla Rep unlock the vehicle, I spent about 45 minutes carefully going over the entire outside and underside of the car. I invited the Rep to go do his thing, and that I would let him know when I was ready for him, he seemed very cool with that and went and helped another customer. I found several issues during my thorough inspection.

View attachment 717610

2. I ordered mine with the tow package, and I assume all of this damage was caused by the clown that installed the trailer hitch and wiring. Damage to the rear bumper, and moderate damage and missing bolts on the under-bumper panels.

View attachment 717614

View attachment 717615

View attachment 717616

I also had him document a significant amount of moisture inside of the left rear taillight, and some deep scuffs and minor scratches on the rear bumper. One of the lower running boards under the right passenger door was sticking out about 1/4-1/3 of an inch which was also documented. Hopefully, these will all be repaired or the panels replaced soon.

1. Good reminder, thank you!
2. That totally sucks, sorry to see the damage. Those scratches on the underside panel are crazy. I read somewhere that it's a straight replacement for condensation inside the taillights.

Before having the Tesla Rep unlock the vehicle, I spent about 45 minutes carefully going over the entire outside and underside of the car.
1. Were you able to look at the car and make a detailled inspection before signing any documents and giving a check?

2. What do you mean by 'unlock' the vehicule? Do you mean be able to open the door and go inside.
Does this was before or after siging all the documents and giving a check?

Note: Did you also checked the four lifting locations?

Which store location did you used? I guess the store in Vallejo, CA.

Last edited:

2. I ordered mine with the tow package, and I assume all of this damage was caused by the clown that installed the trailer hitch and wiring. Damage to the rear bumper, and moderate damage and missing bolts on the under-bumper pa

did you make your payment after inspection or did you authorize Tesla to deduct from your account at acceptance?

1. Were you able to look at the car and make a detailled inspection before signing any documents and giving a check?

2. What do you mean by 'unlock' the vehicule? Do you mean be able to open the door and go inside.
Does this was before or after siging all the documents and giving a check?

Note: Did you also checked the four lifting locations?

Which store location did you used? I guess the store in Vallejo, CA.

1 & 2. I had already paid in full on the Tesla site. But, when you pick up the car in person (as opposed to having it delivered), they will not unlock the car and allow you inside until you "accept" the car at the dealership (Corte Madera). So following the guidance in the checklist (link in 1st post), I completed my exterior inspection prior to having them unlock the car. I also did a very thorough interior inspection after getting into the car, accepting the car does not prevent or block you from adding issues to the warranty list while still at the delivery dealership and completing the interior inspection.

Yes, I also carefully checked the 4 jacking points. I brought a big, old towel along with me and laid it on the ground so that I could lay on it and inspect the underside of the vehicle without getting dirty.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I paid in full online prior to picking the car up. Paying for it is not the same as accepting the vehicle, you can still refuse the vehicle if it is in unacceptable condition.
If however you wait to pay until acceptance you keep your money until the next car arrives. You could also elect not to purchase a Tesla and your out only 100.00. Based on nightmares posted here about getting refunds ect. From Tesla I would not pay until acceptance.

Reactions: K-Fresh