Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a California driver's test in a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My son is taking his driving test tomorrow to convert his learner's permit into a real California driver's license. He has spent more time driving my Tesla M3 than my wife's Lexus, and is more comfortable with it, but we're not sure about the driver's test.

Does anyone have recent experience taking the California driver's test in a Tesla, ideally a model 3? How did the examiner handle things like the "set and release the parking brake" requirement, since the Model 3 doesn't have a traditional parking brake.

He's taking the test at the DMV in Walnut Creek, SF Bay Area, so I would think the examiners have seen a reasonable number of Tesla's already but you never know.

Thanks for any experiences you can share!
Bob
My son failed the driving test today, for absolutely no reason other than the regenerative breaking in the Tesla. They said the car slowed down without his foot on the break and they cannot know that he knows how to operate a vehicle with traditional breaking. I spoke to the supervisor at the DMV, who just repeated this. I told them and told them again that is is just the way the car operates, and how can they fail him for that, and got nowhere. I also emphasized that they are penalizing people for going electric, and that the DMV needs to shift its thinking. Now we need to find an alternative car for his test in two weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
My son failed the driving test today, for absolutely no reason other than the regenerative breaking in the Tesla. They said the car slowed down without his foot on the break and they cannot know that he knows how to operate a vehicle with traditional breaking. I spoke to the supervisor at the DMV, who just repeated this. I told them and told them again that is is just the way the car operates, and how can they fail him for that, and got nowhere. I also emphasized that they are penalizing people for going electric, and that the DMV needs to shift its thinking. Now we need to find an alternative car for his test in two weeks.
There was a similar incident reported here. They ended up finding a rental car, but it was rejected and DMV said they can only rent from DMV. From a quick search, using rental cars for a driving test have the issue of driver age (rental companies may have age restrictions), and also you have to get special assurance paperwork from rental company that the rental is approved for a driving test before DMV will let you use one. Better to borrow a car from a friend or family.
Tesla driving test hell: How DMV examiners' biases are inhibiting the EV transition
DMV Evaluators Make It Impossible For Tesla Driver To Pass Driving Test

Instead of arguing with the DMV guys (which obviously are not well informed on this), there are ways to get around it even driving with a Tesla. First of all, if you have an older Tesla you can turn down the regenerative braking to "Low" (instead of "Standard") under Driving.

Another thing is even without that setting, under Driving > Stopping Mode, choose Creep (to simulate auto transmission) or Roll (car doesn't creep forward) mode. Do not use Hold mode, which applies regen at much slower speeds, and also applies the brakes automatically.
See page 59 in manual.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Then if there is no "Low" regen setting, your son will have to learn to modulate the accelerator pedal to try to prevent regen braking (not just release it fully when slowing down), and then use the brake pedal to stop. Basically try to simulate what it would be like driving a conventional car with no regen.

You can also set car to "Chill mode" Under Driving > Acceleration to reduce the acceleration (p 118 in manual), which may make it easier to modulate accelerator.

That is highly frustrating I'm sure. The explanation given by the DMV examiner is sketchy at best. In his shoes if I wanted to be sure your son could operate the car I would have guided him to a quiet street and asked him to do an emergency stop to be sure he knew how to brake the car beyond the "engine" braking. Clearly your son knew how to operate the car safely given its braking characteristics.

Maybe tweet Elon and ask him to add a DMV button to turn regen way down.

Charge the car up to 100% before the test so regen is limited and he is forced to use the brakes.

I had gotten in the poor habit of just opening the door to leave while still in gear (the warning message never bothered me) until I was driving my wife's ICE car and the car started rolling away as I opened the door and let go of the brake. I now make it a point to put my car in park before leaving (now I just have to remember to turn off the car and locking the doors when I drive her car).
I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten in my wife's ICE bucket and had to get back out to get the keys out of my pocket.
Charge the car up to 100% before the test so regen is limited and he is forced to use the brakes.
But what if he wants to use the breaks?

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten in my wife's ICE bucket and had to get back out to get the keys out of my pocket.

But what if he wants to use the breaks?
I've done two cross country trips in a Camry since I bought my Tesla, otherwise I never drive anything else. Both times I had to acclimate myself again, but it doesn't take long once you realize the car isn't stopping on its own. I always keep regen on hold, and driving to normal. My wife sets it to creep or roll and chill mode. Whatever...