Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a California driver's test in a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way folks drive out here, I was wondering if DMV administers any kind of test. Also, and related, do they still teach Driver's Ed in high school?

My Nephew lives in CA. I paid a couple hundred bucks for him to take some drivers ed/training class before he could get his license last year. (I'm the rich uncle, so I do stuff like this for all my nieces and nephews) So I don't think they do any of it in high school any more.

When I was in 9th grade they made us take drivers ed, but you still had to take a behind the wheel training class to actually get your license. It was expensive even back then, and my family was poor, so I never got my license until I was 17 and I moved to NV where that wasn't required.

Last edited:
My Nephew lives in CA. I paid a couple hundred bucks for him to take some drivers ed/training class before he could get his license. (I'm the rich uncle, so I do stuff like this for all my nieces and nephews) So I don't think they do any of it in high school any more.

When I was in 9th grade they made us take drivers ed, but you still had to take a behind the wheel training class to actually get your license. It was expensive even back then, and my family was poor, so I never got my license until I was 17 and I moved to NV where that wasn't required.
Yeah, I remember taking behind the wheel in a huge (by today's standards) 1968 Chevy Impala crammed with the instructor and 3 other students. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: Char
Yeah, I remember taking behind the wheel in a huge (by today's standards) 1968 Chevy Impala crammed with the instructor and 3 other students. :D
Hah, back in '74 we had the use of Buick LeSabres for our driver training in high school. Tanks, like my parent's 1967 Dodge Polara. Both my daughters had to take private lessons before they got their licenses as high school no longer offered that option ('03 and '07). Older daughter drove our '02 Honda Odyssey and the younger one a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee for their tests.

Yeah they use to do the whole thing at school. In my day, the mid 90s, they did the education part at school still but not the behind the wheel training. You had to do that separate and pay for it yourself. These days they don't do any of it at school and you have to pay for both parts from a 3rd party. (at least in CA)

Here in NV they don't require the behind the wheel part. They require you to have a permit for 6 months and keep a long of how many hours you drove and certain number have to be at night. I think they still do the ed part in school, or you can just read the book yourself and take the test. (you have to pass the written part to get the permit)

NC: Mandatory Drivers ed classes that can be taken any time after your 15th birthday through a state contractor. Includes classroom time (~ 30 hrs) and driving time (~ 8 hrs).

Then you have to have 60 hours of driving w/ your permit with a responsible adult over the course of 12 full months (You have to wait 12 months from when you finish the driving portion of drivers ed).

Long press the parking button on the right stalk and the parking brake icon will appear on the screen.

I did my California Road Test in my M3 at San Jose and had no issues. Before we took off for the test, the instructor asked me to turn off all of the automatic functions as "We aren't here to test the car's ability to drive itself".

• Funny
Reactions: PhiREflY
Park and Parking Brake are not the same on the Tesla.

As in most cars, putting in Park puts the transmission into park but does not engage the parking brake. Push the button and hold, the parking brake engages, a separate braking mechanism than putting in Park or pressing the foot pedal.

In theory, if you lose the regular brakes and regen is not enough, you can press and hold the parking brake to stop.

Teslas have no parking pawl/lock in the transmission. There is no transmission ... just a single speed reduction drive.

Pressing PARK applies the parking brakes, as described on pages 52 and 63 of the Model 3 owner's manual. Pressing PARK a second time applies the parking brakes with maximum force. Pressing and holding PARK while the vehicle is in motion will activate the parking/emergency brakes for as long as the button is held.