TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Taking a day trip

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rich_PSU, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Rich_PSU

Rich_PSU Member

So we have a day trip for a birthday party today. Every time I use EVTrip Planner, I always bump up the speed multiplier to something high like 1.5 with the hopes I get a worst case scenario. I sometimes add 10%-20% to the Rated Miles Used as well. In this case, EVTrip is saying that the total Rated Miles Used for roundtrip will be 232.

I have a P85 with 19" snow tires on right now, so I plugged in 21" since snow tires are not very efficient.

If add 10% to the 232, I'm getting pretty close to range. Should I try it or should I just take one of my ICE cars?

2. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

What are the expected weather conditions? I have found 240 rated miles delivers about 180 miles of 70mph interstate driving in 20*-35* weather without wet roads. Maybe 10% better on 55-60 mph roads. And that's with preheating the engine, but comfortable interior temps and using heated seats.

3. Rich_PSU

Rich_PSU Member

Temps will be about 50deg today. The drive is a mix of highway and country roads and will total 150 miles roundtrip. I'm going to do a Trip charge now since I've never done one before (got the car at the beginning of Dec) to see what it charges to.

4. Steve2498

Steve2498 Member

For me it would come down to your safety nets available. If you have none, take an ICE car. Do you have charging options available if consumption is higher than planned; Destination chargers, even RV parks? If so go for it, just make sure you have a workable plan B.

5. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Any chance you can plug in while at the party? Even a plain 120V exterior outlet will give you 3-4MPH of charge. If you're at your party for 6 hours, that's 18-24 miles of additional charge, which is pretty small, but in this case might make the difference between an uncomfortable shave and a sufficient margin.

Otherwise, check out plugshare and see if there are some public chargers you might use if you need it. L2 chargers are usually too slow for using in the middle of a trip, but in this case you probably only need an hour's worth or less.

6. Blue_Model_S

Blue_Model_S Member

Multiplier of 1.5 is plenty. You should be fine. I have used 1.2 as highest estimate for years. If you drive at the speed of the traffic you will be very close to 1.0.

Which snow tires do you have? Some are more efficient than others, e.g., Michelin X-Ice XI3.

7. 1.5 speed multiplier is a lot. Look in the details tab and see what speed that actually equates to, I bet it's way faster than you will actually travel. There are surface wind forecast maps if that is what you are worried about. For me 150miles on a range charge at 50 degrees seems easy.

8. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Hope it's as easy as it looks, would think less than 200 rated miles required.

9. Rich_PSU

Rich_PSU Member

Just got back from the party. As others have mentioned, it was easy. Multiplier of 1.5 was plenty. I've been used to using 1.5 since I pretty much got my car in the winter and noticed temps below 30 really impacts range.

Thanks for all of the support! Btw, 100% charge got me to 252. Not sure if that's good for a 2013 P85 w/33k miles but I had about 80 miles left. Plenty.

10. Glad to hear it went smoothly, the more you road trip, the more you'll get comfortable with energy usage under different circumstances. EVtripplanner does a good job of modeling energy usage even temperature until it gets really really cold. What it doesn't account for is wind and wet or snowy roads.

11. paulkva

paulkva Member

Glad the trip went well. For what it's worth, my 2013 P85 with ~30K miles also shows 250-254 at 100% charge. Cold temps do really impact range, but much more so on short trips and/or when the car starts cold.