Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a long time to get rolling.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After we'd had out 2016 Model S for a while, it started making us wait "One moment while systems boot up" or some such verbiage. Okay, not convenient but livable. Now, I get in the car and sit there with a black driver's screen, even after the main screen has lit up, and nothing. No "by your leave," it just takes twenty seconds or so before it jumps to life. This is definitely longer and different than before. Is something wrong? Can I expect the wait to get even longer? Is there something here I need to get out ahead of?

Thanks.

Check if one of the last updates did not enable the energy saving mode.

4F05321C-E023-4A9C-87EB-2D75DCD60152.jpeg

Set to Off should ensure instant start.

Last edited:
Sorry, but a bit confused. If the update did NOT enable it, then it would be OFF, no?
You would not be the first to have had a setting changed by an update. Happened to me also. It is what it is.

Are you saying that the wait is a symptom of saving energy? In that case, I will feel more patient since the whole reason for buying a Tesla was to save energy.
Yes, when energy saving is on, screens turn on slowly.

I can’t find this setting. Where is it?
"Model X has an energy-saving feature that reduces the amount of energy being consumed when Model X is not in use. On newer vehicles, this feature is automated to provide an optimal level of energy saving. However, on older vehicles, you can touch Controls > Display > Energy Saving and choose from the following options:"

of which one is:

"Always Connected - Preserves cellular connectivity when energy saving is active. This allows the mobile app to connect to Model X quicker, and provides immediate internet access when entering the car."

So apparently MCU2 loses the ability to control that. Not a huge deal, but my days of Hey Siri seem to be over.

The feature is in MCU1 cars. MCU2 don’t have this control anymore.

perhaps you have a MCU2 car (build after March 2018)

@AustinP -- thanks I was looking around the forums for information on this issue and I think your post solved my issue.

I'm still scratching my head how various updates have changed how the car performs. That is, I think I had "energy savings" turned to "ON" but my car used to start up / boot up faster. Or maybe I'm wrong. I'm also curious to see if I will be able to see how much more energy is being used with this energy savings turned to "OFF." Would be nice to get some more tangible numbers about the passive energy use. Anyway, I think this fixed my problem for now.

Reactions: AustinP
Unfortunately this was the same behavior my 2015 S showed as the emmc failure became imminent.
If you haven't already addressed this issue and it follows the same pattern as me, the next step was an increase in the "random" reboots of the MCU.