Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a long trip to a National Park with no EV charging infrastructure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my kid's Scout Troop had a weekend camping trip planned at a National Park this past weekend, and this was the first long trip I've taken. From my door to the campsite was about 175 miles, and I was kind of nervous about taking a trip to somewhere that didn't have charging infrastructure available. So here are my impressions of the trip, with lessons learned.

Before the trip, I charged my Model 3 to 95%. Usually I only charge to 80%, but figured the extra range would come in handy.

There was an RV park near the National Park we went to, but unfortunately I should have called ahead by a few days and reserved a spot for a few hours to charge, as they were completely booked, so that was out. (Lesson learned, call a week or so ahead and verify a spot). Since the RV park was out as a charging source, we ended up stopping at a charging station on the way that was owned by a company called EV Trail (more on that later). That experience wasn't great. The DC fast charger they had was a CCS version, and I found that I was unable to use the adapter that came with my Tesla because of the way the plastic was molded on the end of the charger. This hasn't been an issue for me on other chargers, and weirdly enough, there were other reviews on Plugshare that showed Tesla owners using this particular charger, so I don't know what gives. Luckily, they had a couple of Level 2 chargers available, so we were able to charge there for about half an hour before continuing on our way.

We arrived at the camping spot at about the same time as everyone else, since we had left early. By the time we got to the camping spot, my car still had about 140 miles of range on it, which meant we'd have to do some charging on the way home, or find something nearby. Luckily, near the camping spot, and at the park, there was a small shop that sold drinks, coffee, and other stuff you might need on a camping trip. I struck up a conversation with the guy who ran the shop and asked if it would be possible to use his 110 V outlet to charge my car overnight. I offered him $20, and he was good with that. (Yeah, I know, I probably used only a couple bucks in electricity, but I figured what the heck.) We chitchatted a bit, and he asked some questions about the car and how it worked, and all that, super cool guy to talk to. I asked him if he'd thought about installing some L2 chargers at his shop, and surprisingly, he said that he had considered it, but that since his shop is located at a National Park, getting something like that approved would require going through mountains of government red tape and would take forever. He also mentioned that he'd seen people plugging in EVs at the visitor's center, but that the Park Rangers would issue a ticket to anyone who did this.

Anyway, I plugged my car in to let it charge overnight, until it started raining heavily. I know this is going to sound dumb, but I was worried that the portable charging unit would end up getting wet and shorting out or causing a fire or something, so I unplugged it. Luckily, it did stop raining later that night, and I went back and plugged the vehicle in. On the 110V outlet, the car was getting about 3 miles of range/hour.

The overnight charge gave me enough range that I was able to skip the EV Trail chargers on the way home, and stop in a city that had Tesla Superchargers available. We rolled into the parking garage with the Superchargers with about 17% charge remaining on the battery. Now, this was my first experience using a Supercharger, and I figured we'd have plenty of time to hit a local restaurant and grab lunch before heading home. We walked to a restaurant that was half a block from the parking garage. The car recommended charging to about 65% before continuing the trip.

The Supercharger hit that limit before the waitress had a chance to come and take our order. So, out of curiosity, I bumped the limit up to 85%, and it hit that charge level right about when our food came. Frankly, the charging went so fast that we could have just stayed in the car. I know this is probably old hat to most of you here, but I was astonished at how fast the car charged. The whole experience was great, I didn't even have to swipe a credit card, just plug the car in and walk away. Total cost for this was right under $20.

On the good side of things, the Energy Display screen did an excellent job of tracking energy usage on the trip, so I always had a really solid idea of how much power I was using, and how much range remained.

Now for the bad. As I mentioned earlier, we stopped at a charging station run by a company called EV Trail, and I was unable to use their L3 charger, and switched to an L2 charger for maybe 30 minutes or so. For that privilege, my credit card is now showing a charge of $40. Nevermind that the readout on the L2 charger only showed a charge of around $3. So, I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm thinking of reaching out to them to see if there's some kind of issue.

Even with the hiccups we encountered on our trip, I would say that the charging experience was not the massive hassle EV critics make it out to be, but it was still more complicated than stopping for gas, especially in places that don't yet have EV infrastructure built. It would be great if the National Parks Service would install chargers at National Parks, for one. Even if they were vendor based and you had to pay, I think it could be a nice little additional revenue stream for them.

29226473908_ba75f13246_b.jpg

"Tesla Supercharger" by Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
I am curious about driving the Beartooth Highway east of Yellowstone. Any advice?
Easiest to do W to E, start at W Yellowstone supercharger and it’s 209 miles to the Billings supercharger (a new SC is under construction in Laurel which will cut about 20 miles) and you end up ~3500 ft lower in elevation than you start. You can also add level 2 charging in Mammoth Hot Springs and/or Red Lodge if needed.

It’s quite a drive, the scenery is great if the air is clear.

IMG_2366.jpeg

Great Sand Dunes National Park can be reached from Poncha Springs CO or Trinidad CO Supercharger Stations, although access will be improved when Alamosa CO Supercharger Station is built (currently in permit status).

I went to Great Sand Dunes NP the week after this past Xmas, but I came in from the Northeast. The closest supercharger in that direction is Pueblo, CO.

Since I have the CCS adapter, I was also able to top up while I ate a late breakfast at a diner right where you leave I-25 to head over Veta Pass (George's Drive Inn on Plugshare), which also has J-1772 units. There is also a relatively new ChargePoint higher speed CCS at the Alamosa Welcome Center where I saw another Tesla charger, but I didn't try. I charged overnight while staying at the Hampton Inn in Alamosa. Finally, I paid $10 to the RV park in Blanca to top up while I had lunch at the diner next door, so that I could drive down the Rio Grande gorge to Sante Fe, without having to go back to the interstate.

I went to Great Sand Dunes NP the week after this past Xmas, but I came in from the Northeast. The closest supercharger in that direction is Pueblo, CO.

Since I have the CCS adapter, I was also able to top up while I ate a late breakfast at a diner right where you leave I-25 to head over Veta Pass (George's Drive Inn on Plugshare), which also has J-1772 units. There is also a relatively new ChargePoint higher speed CCS at the Alamosa Welcome Center where I saw another Tesla charger, but I didn't try. I charged overnight while staying at the Hampton Inn in Alamosa. Finally, I paid $10 to the RV park in Blanca to top up while I had lunch at the diner next door, so that I could drive down the Rio Grande gorge to Sante Fe, without having to go back to the interstate.
It is these sort of workarounds that will become unnecessary for visiting Great Sand Dunes NP when the Alamosa Supercharger Station is built. We Colorado locals have been hoping for a Supercharger Station in Alamosa for years. It would be the first one on US 160 from I-25 to Flagstaff AZ, a distance of 600 miles and the major east/west route in the Four Corners area. Lots of big holes in the Supercharger network here in Rocky Mountain West.

I have made the trip to Great Sand Dunes NP by camping at Lathrop State Park, near Walsenburg, to get an overnight charge. Then visiting GSDNP and ending up at Poncha Springs Supercharger Station, near the junction of US 50 and US 285. (Poncha Springs is the first, most important, and heavily used, Supercharger Station in Colorado that is nowhere near an Interstate Highway.)

Last edited:
Reactions: vanjwilson and GSP
Glad to see it on the coming soon list. For supercharger voting purposes, would Pagosa Springs, Taos NM, or Durango (which frustratingly still isn't on the list) be the most useful next location?
Pagosa Springs is necessary for travel on US 160; the distance from Alamosa to Durango is 149 miles. I'd like to see Pagosa Springs and Cortez. The latter because it is the nearest city to Mesa Verde National Park and is a jumping off point to Flagstaff AZ, although too far to be practical for most cars without additional charging.

Durango is favored by many, being the biggest city in the area, but it is only 46 miles from the Farmington NM Supercharger Station. At 149 miles from Alamosa, Durango is a bit too far to be easy in winter, for shorter range cars, without Pagosa Springs. Pagosa Springs to Cortez is about 101 miles. At the crossroads of US 550 and US 160, Durango would be nice to have but isn't really necessary.

With all of the focus on building more supercharger capacity in densely populated areas I suppose none of these US 160 locations are likely to happen soon. We are lucky that Alamosa is finally in permit status, at long last!

Reactions: threeputts
I am curious about driving the Beartooth Highway east of Yellowstone. Any advice?
Yes, stay in Red Lodge, MT at Yodeler Motel with Tesla 3 Plugs 16 kW Tesla Destination

I've traveled East to West before and this summer I'm traveling West to East.

Zami97W.jpg

Started our road trip in our 22 MYP (19" T-sportline w/Michelin CC2 tires) from Colorado Springs this week and went to Mount Rushmore, Wall Drug, Devils Tower, Lovell, Cody, Yellowstone Park, West Yellowstone to Idaho Falls. We charged in Loveland, Wheatland, Lusk, Custer and spent the night in Rapid City. We went out to Wall and charged there while we walked around Wall Drug. Then we headed back west to charge in Spearfish, Gillette, and Sheridan. The drive over the mountain to Lovell was gorgeous. Loved the ability to accelerate up the hill around the turns and then coming down the mountain no braking was required on the 10% grade -- let the regenerative breaking do all the work and got back most of what we used going up the mountain. Took it up to 130mph on the big long straightway out of the mountains just before crossing the bridge over Big Horn Lake into Lovell.

I was able to use my aunt's 240V Nema 14-50 outlet (for a welder) at their house in Lovell to do a full charge overnight. We charged to 100% (~270 miles) and headed off to West Yellowstone via Cody and Yellowstone Park. We were a little nervous and alternate routes were to charge in Billings or Big Timber and go around Yellowstone Park. However we decided to trust the Tesla route and try to make it all the way from Lovell to West Yellowstone (~180 miles). The car showed we were on track to make it to the West Yellowstone supercharger with 20% battery left. Once we got close to the east park entrance we lost cell service on our phones and in the car and suddenly the car was trying to route us back through Billings and around the park. We decided to ignore the re-route and just cancelled the trip in the Tesla navigation in the car and trusted our initial plan. We went in the East entrance of the park and took the northern route through Canyon, Norris, and out to the west entrance via Madison junction. We were making good time and the battery level was good though the park, but unfortunately we ended up stuck in standstill traffic for 2.5 hours waiting for a head on collision wreck to be cleared just before Madison Junction. Sitting there didn't really use much battery so we just waited playing some games, but couldn't watch movies since we had no cellular service in the park. Finally made it to the West Yellowstone supercharger with about 20% battery (~60 miles). We made it!

Not sure if you could make it from the Sheridan supercharger to the West Yellowstone supercharger without either an overnight charge somewhere in Lovell or Cody or going through Billings and maybe Big Timber and in then the North entrance of the Park. The West Yellowstone supercharger was awesome and we easily made it to Idaho Falls. A supercharge in Cody, Wyoming would take a lot of stress off that northern Wyoming route through Yellowstone Park! I checked plugshare and there was a few slower charger options in Cody and a handful in the Park, but nothing that we considered unless it was a real emergency. We saw probably a dozen Teslas in Yellowstone Park, but very few from Cheyenne to Mount Rushmore all the way to Cody.

I suppose it depends on which National Parks one wants to visit but I've been to more than a dozen National Parks in the West in my Tesla, some of them many times, and it has been pretty easy. The proximity of Supercharger Stations to National Parks has improved a lot over the seven years I've been driving my short range S-60.
A lot of National Parks are so easy to visit in a Tesla, that it is simpler to list some that are not yet easily accessed. That includes Great Basin National Park NV, Glacier National Park MT, and Big Bend National Park TX. As well as the many National Parks in Alaska, some of which don't have road access anyway (such as Katmai, Glacier Bay).
Now that Terlingua TX has issued a permit for a Tesla supercharger, Big Bend National Park will be quite accessible once it is complete.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Yellowstone National Park [YNP] is easily explored from West Yellowstone MT Supercharger Station, and can be reached from Boseman MT Supercharger Station, as well as several others.
A lot of National Parks are so easy to visit in a Tesla, that it is simpler to list some that are not yet easily accessed. That includes Great Basin National Park NV, Glacier National Park MT [GNP], and Big Bend National Park TX. As well as the many National Parks in Alaska, some of which don't have road access anyway (such as Katmai, Glacier Bay).

GNP -- Will be helpful when Kalispell finally gets one.
5RLY2M2.jpg

YNP -- best option I've used is to also take in Beartooth Highway and stay at the Yodeler Motel (URL) with a 3 chargers
b4laV70.jpg

Beartooth All-American Road.jpg

SMJZS   0.0000,0.0000 0 20190424 000943 #0025.jpg

It’s a good data point, I would add though that that Inn, if I recall has been around much longer than the Park has been a designated NP? Maybe someone like that gets their own allowances? Still, I think lodging could put in charging capability, like the Awaneed in Yosemites has I think TWO Tesla Destination chargers, but for hotel GUESTS only-via Valet. I will say though a 20$ at 06:00 in the morning tends to get around this. ;-)
As far as Yosemite is concerned, there is a supercharger facility a few miles outside the valley now at a hotel. I used it this past May. I stayed at a mile or so down the road so it was a convenient stop on the way to or from the Valley.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1