Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a long trip to a National Park with no EV charging infrastructure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my kid's Scout Troop had a weekend camping trip planned at a National Park this past weekend, and this was the first long trip I've taken. From my door to the campsite was about 175 miles, and I was kind of nervous about taking a trip to somewhere that didn't have charging infrastructure available. So here are my impressions of the trip, with lessons learned.

Before the trip, I charged my Model 3 to 95%. Usually I only charge to 80%, but figured the extra range would come in handy.

There was an RV park near the National Park we went to, but unfortunately I should have called ahead by a few days and reserved a spot for a few hours to charge, as they were completely booked, so that was out. (Lesson learned, call a week or so ahead and verify a spot). Since the RV park was out as a charging source, we ended up stopping at a charging station on the way that was owned by a company called EV Trail (more on that later). That experience wasn't great. The DC fast charger they had was a CCS version, and I found that I was unable to use the adapter that came with my Tesla because of the way the plastic was molded on the end of the charger. This hasn't been an issue for me on other chargers, and weirdly enough, there were other reviews on Plugshare that showed Tesla owners using this particular charger, so I don't know what gives. Luckily, they had a couple of Level 2 chargers available, so we were able to charge there for about half an hour before continuing on our way.

We arrived at the camping spot at about the same time as everyone else, since we had left early. By the time we got to the camping spot, my car still had about 140 miles of range on it, which meant we'd have to do some charging on the way home, or find something nearby. Luckily, near the camping spot, and at the park, there was a small shop that sold drinks, coffee, and other stuff you might need on a camping trip. I struck up a conversation with the guy who ran the shop and asked if it would be possible to use his 110 V outlet to charge my car overnight. I offered him $20, and he was good with that. (Yeah, I know, I probably used only a couple bucks in electricity, but I figured what the heck.) We chitchatted a bit, and he asked some questions about the car and how it worked, and all that, super cool guy to talk to. I asked him if he'd thought about installing some L2 chargers at his shop, and surprisingly, he said that he had considered it, but that since his shop is located at a National Park, getting something like that approved would require going through mountains of government red tape and would take forever. He also mentioned that he'd seen people plugging in EVs at the visitor's center, but that the Park Rangers would issue a ticket to anyone who did this.

Anyway, I plugged my car in to let it charge overnight, until it started raining heavily. I know this is going to sound dumb, but I was worried that the portable charging unit would end up getting wet and shorting out or causing a fire or something, so I unplugged it. Luckily, it did stop raining later that night, and I went back and plugged the vehicle in. On the 110V outlet, the car was getting about 3 miles of range/hour.

The overnight charge gave me enough range that I was able to skip the EV Trail chargers on the way home, and stop in a city that had Tesla Superchargers available. We rolled into the parking garage with the Superchargers with about 17% charge remaining on the battery. Now, this was my first experience using a Supercharger, and I figured we'd have plenty of time to hit a local restaurant and grab lunch before heading home. We walked to a restaurant that was half a block from the parking garage. The car recommended charging to about 65% before continuing the trip.

The Supercharger hit that limit before the waitress had a chance to come and take our order. So, out of curiosity, I bumped the limit up to 85%, and it hit that charge level right about when our food came. Frankly, the charging went so fast that we could have just stayed in the car. I know this is probably old hat to most of you here, but I was astonished at how fast the car charged. The whole experience was great, I didn't even have to swipe a credit card, just plug the car in and walk away. Total cost for this was right under $20.

On the good side of things, the Energy Display screen did an excellent job of tracking energy usage on the trip, so I always had a really solid idea of how much power I was using, and how much range remained.

Now for the bad. As I mentioned earlier, we stopped at a charging station run by a company called EV Trail, and I was unable to use their L3 charger, and switched to an L2 charger for maybe 30 minutes or so. For that privilege, my credit card is now showing a charge of $40. Nevermind that the readout on the L2 charger only showed a charge of around $3. So, I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm thinking of reaching out to them to see if there's some kind of issue.

Even with the hiccups we encountered on our trip, I would say that the charging experience was not the massive hassle EV critics make it out to be, but it was still more complicated than stopping for gas, especially in places that don't yet have EV infrastructure built. It would be great if the National Parks Service would install chargers at National Parks, for one. Even if they were vendor based and you had to pay, I think it could be a nice little additional revenue stream for them.

29226473908_ba75f13246_b.jpg

"Tesla Supercharger" by Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
If you want to use CCS fast chargers, you need to buy a CCS adapter.

The J1772 adapter included with your car is for J1772 L2 charging, not CCS. They are not the same.

If you want to use CCS fast chargers, you need to buy a CCS adapter.

The J1772 adapter included with your car is for J1772 L2 charging, not CCS. They are not the same.

Oh, duh. That makes total sense. Thanks.

Last edited:
Now for the bad. As I mentioned earlier, we stopped at a charging station run by a company called EV Trail, and I was unable to use their L3 charger, and switched to an L2 charger for maybe 30 minutes or so. For that privilege, my credit card is now showing a charge of $40. Nevermind that the readout on the L2 charger only showed a charge of around $3. So, I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm thinking of reaching out to them to see if there's some kind of issue.
Give it a couple of days. This practice is not all that uncommon at some 3rd party chargers.

Why am I getting charged $40 for my short charging session?​

You're most likely not. When you first connect your car and present payment, we authorize your payment method for an amount that will cover pretty much any charging scenario. Then, after your are done charging, we adjust the pre-authorized amount to match the amount shown on the payment screen of the charger.
Some credit companies will send notices to you via text or email as soon as we authorize payment and the wording of that notice can sometimes be misleading ... like "EV Trail has charged your card $40".

As others have noted, it is probably just a pending charge - gas stations usually do the same but you may not notice it as the pending charge gets cleared pretty quickly after the final tally on the pump is completed.

However, some EV charging provides work off a 'prepaid' model where you have to fill up your account first. Oh, they will still let you charge but they may have the minimum credit card charge set at $20 or $40. In which case you'll have to hope you do (or really don't) run into more EV Trail chargers in order to consume what will be a large credit balance on your EV Trail account. This, BTW, should be illegal IMHO.

Putting charging IN the National parks is probably less about ”red tape and regulation” and more that the NPS/Gov’t doesn’t want to have to pick one company over another… Tesla would be great, since they have provide infrastructure and MAGIC docks that will easily work with all cars, but that too would most likely be suspect… going with ChargePoint, EVGO, Electrify or someone else, well we’re back again at winners and losers. I think they will pick several and spread it out across all top tier companies soon. The next issue though, is POWER, as so many parks are indeed remote - by design, purpose and appeal and getting enough power to be delivered 365 days a year, vs. the parks needs for power could be an issue. I’d love to see someone bring in Solar/Battery/Geo generation and chargers, get SOME from the grid, do energy storage and have charging available - and maybe some preferred parking!… but I think we’re 2-3 years out for any of that.

Reactions: Prairie and Maxim_9
Putting charging IN the National parks is probably less about ”red tape and regulation” and more that the NPS/Gov’t doesn’t want to have to pick one company over another… Tesla would be great, since they have provide infrastructure and MAGIC docks that will easily work with all cars, but that too would most likely be suspect… going with ChargePoint, EVGO, Electrify or someone else, well we’re back again at winners and losers. I think they will pick several and spread it out across all top tier companies soon. The next issue though, is POWER, as so many parks are indeed remote - by design, purpose and appeal and getting enough power to be delivered 365 days a year, vs. the parks needs for power could be an issue. I’d love to see someone bring in Solar/Battery/Geo generation and chargers, get SOME from the grid, do energy storage and have charging available - and maybe some preferred parking!… but I think we’re 2-3 years out for any of that.
Death Valley has L2 chargers (x4) at Furnace Creek and x2 at the Inn. Probably due to these being contract run lodging facilities rather than NPS facilities.
They are free.

Death Valley has L2 chargers (x4) at Furnace Creek and x2 at the Inn. Probably due to these being contract run lodging facilities rather than NPS facilities.
They are free.
It’s a good data point, I would add though that that Inn, if I recall has been around much longer than the Park has been a designated NP? Maybe someone like that gets their own allowances? Still, I think lodging could put in charging capability, like the Awaneed in Yosemites has I think TWO Tesla Destination chargers, but for hotel GUESTS only-via Valet. I will say though a 20$ at 06:00 in the morning tends to get around this. ;-)

It’s a good data point, I would add though that that Inn, if I recall has been around much longer than the Park has been a designated NP? Maybe someone like that gets their own allowances? Still, I think lodging could put in charging capability, like the Awaneed in Yosemites has I think TWO Tesla Destination chargers, but for hotel GUESTS only-via Valet. I will say though a 20$ at 06:00 in the morning tends to get around this. ;-)
The Awahnee has two free Rivian J1772 chargers. There are several more over by the store.

So from the conversation I had with the proprietor of the shop, he told me that the building the shop occupied was owned by the government, but he was independent, so since the building itself is owned by the government, he can't make any changes to the building because it's considered a historical thing, and would require approval and funding through the federal bureaucracy.

I suspect that if the National Parks Service wanted it, though, they could make it happen, though the most logical place for chargers would be at the Visitor's Center.

I do agree about the challenges in picking a supplier for the chargers, as well as getting the infrastructure in place to support them, though I think this wouldn't be a huge deal if they stuck mostly to Level 2 chargers.

FYI : I admire your bravery and initiative. :D

For an old school boy scout here, I remembered those summer trips when we run low on gas and hoped of making it to the -next- gas station and -hope that - it is still open :) ... For a single-car EV family, I think it is ok to take the plunge but prepare ... there is multiple hills, terrain, ... that will affect your EV ranges and you do not want to be the one on the 5 PM news ...

You did not say which National Park ! Do you realize there are over 400 in America? CA alone, we have 9, and I barely visit 4 within the last 50 years.

As other posters said, National Parks are federally run and controlled, I do not think the EV game will get there anytime soon, and even if they do, infrastructure built today can be destroyed tomorrow by fire or flood, .... we are in the very bottom of the food chain, IMHO.

Good report, I just want to add my practical sense to others, and keep on camping, the experiences are the memory of a lifetime.

EV,

FYI : I admire your bravery and initiative. :D

For an old school boy scout here, I remembered those summer trips when we run low on gas and hoped of making it to the -next- gas station and -hope that - it is still open :) ... For a single-car EV family, I think it is ok to take the plunge but prepare ... there is multiple hills, terrain, ... that will affect your EV ranges and you do not want to be the one on the 5 PM news ...

You did not say which National Park ! Do you realize there are over 400 in America? CA alone, we have 9, and I barely visit 4 within the last 50 years.

As other posters said, National Parks are federally run and controlled, I do not think the EV game will get there anytime soon, and even if they do, infrastructure built today can be destroyed tomorrow by fire or flood, .... we are in the very bottom of the food chain, IMHO.

Good report, I just want to add my practical sense to others, and keep on camping, the experiences are the memory of a lifetime.

EV,

Hey, thanks! We had a previous campout that was in a very rural place (no infrastructure at all!) so I took our gas vehicle for that trip. I figured this trip would be a good way to get my feet wet in taking a long-ish range trip. I did spend a bunch of time planning out the route, and in retrospect, some of it was kind of unnecessary, and was kind of a result of range anxiety. Seeing how well the energy management app worked has gone a long way to reducing that anxiety for future trips. Frankly, if I were to do the trip again, I probably would skip the L2 charging on the way down, and maybe the Level 1 charging I did at the park, and would have just hit the L2 charger on the way home before hitting the Super Charger.

The overall camping trip was fun, but we got rained on quite a bit, so there was a lesson there for my kiddo in learning to adapt to less than ideal circumstances.

I suppose it depends on which National Parks one wants to visit but I've been to more than a dozen National Parks in the West in my Tesla, some of them many times, and it has been pretty easy. The proximity of Supercharger Stations to National Parks has improved a lot over the seven years I've been driving my short range S-60.

Seven years ago I used my TT-30 adapter to plug-in at my campsite in Zion National Park:
Model S at campsite Zion NP1683sf 6-10-16.jpg

Zion also has a couple of Level 2 EVSEs in the main parking lot, as well as charging at Zion Lodge, and there are many hotels in Springdale UT with charging. Now, there are Supercharger Stations nearby in Cedar City UT and St. George UT so no slow charging is needed to visit Zion. Same with nearby Bryce Canyon National Park (Beaver UT Supercharger Station) and Cedar Breaks National Monument (Cedar City UT Supercharger Station).

Arches and Canyonlands (Island in the Sky District) National Parks are easily reached from Moab UT Supercharger Stations or from Green River UT Supercharger Station. The Needles District of Canyonlands (best for hiking) can also be reached from Blanding UT Supercharger Station. Blanding allows easy access to Natural Bridges National Monument (now surrounded by Bears Ears NM).

Grand Canyon National Park, South Rim, is now served by a Supercharger Station in Tusayan AZ. The North Rim is still difficult to get to but can be reached by cars with a longer range than mine from Page AZ Supercharger Station.

Petrified Forest National Park is next to Holbrook AZ Supercharger Station.

Saguaro National Park is served by several Supercharger Stations in Tucson AZ.

White Sands National Park will be easy to reach from the Las Cruces NM Supercharger Station, currently under construction.

Most of the many National Parks and Monuments in California can be reached from some of the hundreds of Supercharger Stations in that state. An exception would be Channel Islands National Park, for obvious reasons.

Mesa Verde National Park can be reached from Blanding UT or Farmington NM Supercharger Stations. Charging in the park is available at the campground or at Farview Lodge for hotel guests.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is just twelve miles from Montrose CO Supercharger Station.

Black Canyon in winter0377edsf 2-22-12.jpg

^ Black Canyon of the Gunnison in winter. In some places the canyon is less than 1000 feet across at the rim but more than 1800 feet deep.

Colorado National Monument is a short distance from Grand Junction CO Supercharger Station.

Dinosaur National Monument can be reached from Craig CO Supercharger Station, although access will be greatly improved if a Supercharger Station is ever built in Vernal UT.

Great Sand Dunes National Park can be reached from Poncha Springs CO or Trinidad CO Supercharger Stations, although access will be improved when Alamosa CO Supercharger Station is built (currently in permit status).
Great Sand Dunes with mountains behind20230526_072319762.jpg

^ A distant view of Great Sand Dunes National Park last week. Some of the dunes are more than 700 feet tall; the base elevation of the dunes is a bit over 8000 feet, to put the mountains behind in perspective.

Rocky Mountain National Park has its own Supercharger Station in Estes Park CO but can be reached from both sides from many others.

Yellowstone National Park is easily explored from West Yellowstone MT Supercharger Station, and can be reached from Boseman MT Supercharger Station, as well as several others.

Grand Teton National Park can be explored from the Jackson WY Supercharger Station (although it may take some patience due to ICEing in the grocery store parking lot).

Badlands National Park is near Wall SD Supercharger Station. Mount Rushmore National Memorial is twenty miles from Custer SD Supercharger Station.

In western Canada, Jasper, Banff, Yoho, and Kootenay National Parks are easily accessed from the Jasper AB, Canmore AB, Golden BC and Invermere BC Supercharger Stations, among others. (I just got back a couple of weeks ago from a 4500 mile road trip to those Canadian National Parks; they are well worth a visit.)
Jasper National Park 20230511sf_134249681.jpg

^ A typical mountain vista in Jasper National Park AB.

Emerald Lake Yoho National Park 20230513sf_140746989.jpg

^ Emerald Lake in Yoho National Park BC.

A lot of National Parks are so easy to visit in a Tesla, that it is simpler to list some that are not yet easily accessed. That includes Great Basin National Park NV, Glacier National Park MT, and Big Bend National Park TX. As well as the many National Parks in Alaska, some of which don't have road access anyway (such as Katmai, Glacier Bay).

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on which National Parks one wants to visit but I've been to more than a dozen National Parks in the West in my Tesla, some of them many times, and it has been pretty easy. The proximity of Supercharger Stations to National Parks has improved a lot over the seven years I've been driving my short range S-60.

Seven years ago I used my TT-30 adapter to plug-in at my campsite in Zion National Park:
View attachment 942740
Zion also has a couple of Level 2 EVSEs in the main parking lot, as well as charging at Zion Lodge, and there are many hotels in Springdale UT with charging. Now, there are Supercharger Stations nearby in Cedar City UT and St. George UT so no slow charging is needed to visit Zion. Same with nearby Bryce Canyon National Park (Beaver UT Supercharger Station) and Cedar Breaks National Monument (Cedar City UT Supercharger Station).

Arches and Canyonlands (Island in the Sky District) National Parks are easily reached from Moab UT Supercharger Stations or from Green River UT Supercharger Station. The Needles District of Canyonlands (best for hiking) can also be reached from Blanding UT Supercharger Station. Blanding allows easy access to Natural Bridges National Monument (now surrounded by Bears Ears NM).

Grand Canyon National Park, South Rim, is now served by a Supercharger Station in Tusayan AZ. The North Rim is still difficult to get to but can be reached by cars with a longer range than mine from Page AZ Supercharger Station.

Petrified Forest National Park is next to Holbrook AZ Supercharger Station.

Saguaro National Park is served by several Supercharger Stations in Tucson AZ.

White Sands National Park will be easy to reach from the Las Cruces NM Supercharger Station, currently under construction.

Most of the many National Parks and Monuments in California can be reached from some of the hundreds of Supercharger Stations in that state. An exception would be Channel Islands National Park, for obvious reasons.

Mesa Verde National Park can be reached from Blanding UT or Farmington NM Supercharger Stations. Charging in the park is available at the campground or at Farview Lodge for hotel guests.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is just twelve miles from the Montrose CO Supercharger Station.

Colorado National Monument is a short distance from Grand Junction CO Supercharger Station.

Dinosaur National Monument can be reached from Craig CO Supercharger Station, although access will be greatly improved if a Supercharger Station is ever built in Vernal UT.

Great Sand Dunes National Park can be reached from Poncha Springs CO or Trinidad CO Supercharger Stations, although access will be improved when Alamosa CO Supercharger Station is built (currently in permit status).
View attachment 942759
^ A distant view of Great Sand Dunes National Park last week. Some of the dunes are more than 700 feet tall.

Rocky Mountain National Park has its own Supercharger Station in Estes Park CO but can be reached from both sides from many others.

Yellowstone National Park is easily explored from West Yellowstone MT Supercharger Station, and can be reached from Boseman MT Supercharger Station, as well as several others.

Grand Teton National Park can be explored from the Jackson WY Supercharger Station (although it may take some patience due to ICEing in the grocery store parking lot).

Badlands National Park is near Wall SD Supercharger Station. Mount Rushmore National Memorial is twenty miles from Custer SD Supercharger Station.

In western Canada, Jasper, Banff, Yoho, and Kootenay National Parks are easily accessed from the Jasper AB, Canmore AB, Golden BC and Invermere BC Supercharger Stations, among others. (I just got back a couple of weeks ago from a 4500 mile road trip to those Canadian National Parks; they are well worth a visit.)

A lot of National Parks are so easy to visit in a Tesla, that it is simpler to list some that are not yet easily accessed. That includes Great Basin National Park NV, Glacier National Park MT, and Big Bend National Park TX. As well as the many National Parks in Alaska, some of which don't have road access anyway (such as Katmai, Glacier Bay).
Thanks for this great information.
Just a few notes on the "difficult" parks...
- We accessed Big Bend by charging at the Gage Hotel (Tesla L2) in Marathon, Tx (Nice hotel. Stayed overnight.)
- We drove through Glacier NP from the north by charging in Fernie, a campground to the East of Babb and another campground near West Glacier.

I do a lot of these same road trips with my short ranged SR+ :). definitely reminds me of the bad old days of being in the chevy wagon at 13 mpg and a 20 gallon tank. Dad looking for all the downhills to coast :D. When I road trip, I have my CCS adapter and my Chad adapter. Why? because I have been where the SC is packed, the CCS are crap and the only thing available is the lowly Chad that nobody wants :D.. I will also add that many RV parks are set for people using generators and 30 amp circuits.. you need to use a "bonded" ground on those or it the Tesla mobile adapter whines and wont work. I bought one that is molded into the proper shape and connector to plug into the mobile charger as the cord. Very clean.

Reactions: Maxim_9