Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a road trip to Yosemite this weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BLKMDL3

Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I am driving from LA-Yosemite on Saturday. I heard there are snow chains restrictions and by law I have to have chains in my possession. I don't want to spread $500 on chains from Tesla if I am only going to use them once. What do you guys recommend I do? Should I just buy cheap chains because I am likely not going to have to use them? Thanks.

We just did a trip in Yosemite last weekend before the snow hit. The view was spectacular. The first day it was sunny so there is no need for chain at all.
The second day when we came back again, there was snow shower and I think the chain control level was R1 and ranger stopped all the cars to check whether it's all wheel drive or have snow chain mounted. We are X with 20 inch rims and all season tires, so the ranger was happy to let us go without chain.

Two things I like to remind are I heard there was some flood warning in the Yosemite valley and there was plan to evacuate the stuff, you may want to call them ahead to make sure it's open; the second thing is with the recent moisture, fog can easily build up, the night when we were driving down through 49, there was a while the fog was so heavy that we can barely saw the taillight of the vehicle ahead and the car is crawling at 5 MPH, I was never missing autopilot at that point.

We just did a trip in Yosemite last weekend before the snow hit. The view was spectacular. The first day it was sunny so there is no need for chain at all.
The second day when we came back again, there was snow shower and I think the chain control level was R1 and ranger stopped all the cars to check whether it's all wheel drive or have snow chain mounted. We are X with 20 inch rims and all season tires, so the ranger was happy to let us go without chain.

Two things I like to remind are I heard there was some flood warning in the Yosemite valley and there was plan to evacuate the stuff, you may want to call them ahead to make sure it's open; the second thing is with the recent moisture, fog can easily build up, the night when we were driving down through 49, there was a while the fog was so heavy that we can barely saw the taillight of the vehicle ahead and the car is crawling at 5 MPH, I was never missing autopilot at that point.
I checked the flood warnings. The roads are now open. I hope they don't require us to put the chains on. We have the 20'' too. But Yosemite Valley got up to 1-2 feet of snow in the past couple days so a little worried that we will need chains. By our hotel, the Tenaya Lodge at the Fish Camp supercharger also got a foot of snow.

Last edited:
If you can actually find the $500 official chain. I call around nearby Tesla stores and they are all out of stock with no ETA. After some research, I got this as backup. sz441 super z-6
For one I pray that I never need to use it. It is said that highway patrol will turn people away if it actually reaches R3 condition. For other conditions, just carrying a chain should be enough for MX. The super Z6 line is suppose to have extremely low clearance requirement (1/4") I checked the clearance on the MX rear tire and there is about 1.5" between the suspension and the inside of the tire.

If you can actually find the $500 official chain. I call around nearby Tesla stores and they are all out of stock with no ETA. After some research, I got this as backup. sz441 super z-6
For one I pray that I never need to use it. It is said that highway patrol will turn people away if it actually reaches R3 condition. For other conditions, just carrying a chain should be enough for MX. The super Z6 line is suppose to have extremely low clearance requirement (1/4") I checked the clearance on the MX rear tire and there is about 1.5" between the suspension and the inside of the tire.
Any experience with autosocks or thoughts?

I've been driving 4WD SUVs up to Tahoe/Yosemite for a long time and never been asked for chains (and never carry them). Here is the Caltrans chain guides
Winter Operations

I've never seen a major road that goes R3, they typically just close them if too many cars start spinning out in R2 (ie, if it ever gets to R3 you want to find a place to wait it out anyway cause it will be ugly)

• Informative
Reactions: flar
I think we are just going to go with no chains. We will call on our way to see what conditions are and if we need to we will stop on the way. Is this a mistake? Thanks

I drive up to Mammoth/Mono County all the time. I'm guessing you will be entering from the other side but the advice should still apply.

I highly recommend you carry chains (even if they don't fit), I have been asked to show that I have chains but never had to put them on the 4WD and I drive in the snow there a lot. R3 chain control is very rare on the 395 side.

Also, if you do get into a bind, chains that don't fit can be laid out and driven over to get additional traction.

I drive up to Mammoth/Mono County all the time. I'm guessing you will be entering from the other side but the advice should still apply.

I highly recommend you carry chains (even if they don't fit), I have been asked to show that I have chains but never had to put them on the 4WD and I drive in the snow there a lot. R3 chain control is very rare on the 395 side.

Also, if you do get into a bind, chains that don't fit can be laid out and driven over to get additional traction.
Thanks for the advice. We will indeed be entering from the other side from the 41. Will consider just buying chains in case.

Reactions: ohmman