Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking an M3 to the garage to swap tyres - what to tell them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had a search and couldn't find the answer so apologies if it has already been asked!

I'm looking to swap my standard tyres for CrossClimate 2's in the next few weeks.
Here in Herefordshire Tesla's aren't particularly common and my local indi / tyre shop won't have seen an M3 before.
Apart from giving them some jack pads, is there anything else they (& I!) need to know?

The torque settings on the nuts which are a little higher than many cars the same size as an M3. Most places now look them up on a computer as part of their safety procedure, but some don't.

Good idea to put some lube on the jack pads to make removal easier afterwards too.

I am confused. Are you saying that I need to buy "jack pads" before I change tyres? If they are required why does Tesla not supply them with the car?
Some of the big tyre fitter names now have them at their depots. It's still early days for Teslas. I'd have them if only to cope with the recovery van on the side of the road that I hope I never need.

I ordered mine through kwikfit and used their mobile tyre service. The guy knew exactly what to do and how to jack the car. I did have lifting pads though. Took a bit over an hour, but saved me from hanging around a garage.

My M3LR recently had all four tyres changed and it was a reminder of all things we now are used to;
  1. I left a print out of the pages from the manual for the jacking points and wheel nut torques on the passenger seat.
  2. Jacking pads were ready in the passenger's footwell.
  3. I put the car in valet mode.
  4. When the chap went to move the car in to the workshop I asked him if he'd driven a Tesla before, and would he appreciate a quick update? He hadn't and he did.
  5. Where to swipe the card.
  6. How to use the exterior door handles.
  7. How to select D/P/R, etc.
  8. The complete lack of handbrake controls.
  9. Hold mode (no creeping).
  10. How to open the door from the inside.
He appreciated the 2 minutes it took to go through things. Everything went smoothly.

My M3LR recently had all four tyres changed and it was a reminder of all things we now are used to;
  1. I left a print out of the pages from the manual for the jacking points and wheel nut torques on the passenger seat.
  4. When the chap went to move the car in to the workshop I asked him if he'd driven a Tesla before, and would he appreciate a quick update? He hadn't and he did.
He appreciated the 2 minutes it took to go through things. Everything went smoothly.
Fab stuff Luke, thank you very much!

Would you be so kind to upload the print out you gave the garage of the jacking points and wheel nut torques as my car going in on saturday to ATS euromaster to have all tyres changed and this would be very helpful

This! We'd also add:

Make sure they use protective sockets on the lug nuts so the wheels don't get scratched. Some lower-end shops (not that you'd take a Tesla to a lower-end shop, but it's worth mentioning) may used standard steel sockets that can scratch wheels.