TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Taking apart the side mirror assembly - looking for help

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pgrothe, Jul 9, 2014.

1. pgrothe

pgrothe Member

Hello everyone,

I am the DIY kind of person. I managed to vinyl wrap most of my chrome trims so far and I am actually stuck with wrapping the chrome section of the mirror assembly. I have the non self folding mirror units. I am mentioning this because the two kind of units are very different.

Wrapping the part that is attached to the door is the painful one. It seems that there is a way to disassemble the hinge that join the mirror unit to the mirror mount on the door. I'm sorry if my descriptions are not very clear. I could probably add some pictures later.

Could anyone gives me the information how to take apart the to main sections of the mirror assembly of the Model S ? Removing the plastic covers is fairly easy.

Many thanks

2. Caloncho

Caloncho LongerTelomeres?

can you put some pictures?

3. pgrothe

pgrothe Member

I'm sorry, I had to borrow someone else picture. The red circle I drew is were the hinge is. The must be a way to unscrew or remove that part. That way I could easily wrap the lower portion of the mirror in vinyl. Otherwise it makes a messy job.

9e56e326-6aeb-4789-a221-10400d3145482.jpg

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Probably not a lot of help but the side mirrors get delivered already assembled (as in your photo); I doubt the service centers even know how to take them apart. That said, there's a few folk who have had their cars wrapped so you might want to trawl the Model-S-Interior-Exterior section and post there or PM a couple of them.

5. pgrothe

pgrothe Member

I sent a few PM. We will see if I can get some information. I will post any finding here.

6. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Hi Pierre. I got your PM. The place that wrapped my car definitely didn't take anything apart so they must have found a way to do the mirror assembly in place. I've actually looked at it a few times and couldn't see the seams anywhere!

7. pgrothe

pgrothe Member

They are really good. Could you tel me where ? I guess that would be on the south shore. I believe I met last year at on of the meet of the Tesla club. Are you the one who had a fake hamster in the drunk to show that you have one more HP than anyone else ? :)

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Perhaps you're in the wrong part of the forum. I was trying to decide if you wanted information on the Roadster side mirrors or the Model S side mirrors & it took until you posted a picture to know.

I'll ask the mod for this area to move it over to Model S.

9. pgrothe

pgrothe Member

I thought I was pretty clear when I specified model S :)

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You did :). It was buried. It really belongs over in the Model S forum.

11. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

That's me! :)

I did it at affichage.ca in Brossard. Looks like a professional place, I'm very satisfied.

12. pgrothe

pgrothe Member

I will call them tomorrow. Auto Bugatti is asking me 250 just for the mirrors and I have to leave the car for at least a day. If your shop can do it and if its closer to my place then its a deal.

13. pgrothe

pgrothe Member

Thanks for helping me. I wasn't exactly sire where to post that one. I thought Technical discussions was appropriate.

14. flodrab

flodrab Member

can't help you with the disassembly part, but I do have a question/comment/suggestion ... what are you wrapping the mirror body with? ... my guy did a carbon fiber look, and every time I'm at a supercharger, people come up, ask about my car, and invariably tell me how much they like the mirrors
    mirror.JPG

15. Caloncho

wow, @flodrab, I wish somebody in NYC could do my side mirrors like that! To the detailers I went it seemed really hard without taking them apart (and they did not know how to).

Cheers!

Cal

16. flodrab

flodrab Member

I called the guy who did my wrap and he says it isn't necessary to remove them, they just do it in place

BTW, had a hard time deciding how to do the nosecone, but finally went with a "4 color" look ... mostly body color (matte gunmetal), matte black dechrome, carbon fiber in the skinny upper portion, and a red accent "T" ... (another BTW, the Model X model on display in the lobby at the Hawthorne Design Center has the same skinny top carbon fiber section) ... here's the nose, and a full side view ... (also did the rear diffuser in CF, but no pic):

front T.JPG side.JPG

17. Caloncho

well done, pretty cool ride!

18. Killhaug

Killhaug New Member

Im getting mine wrapped this wednesday and I cant decide on matte gunmetal metallic or charcoal metallic, but I think Ill go gunmetal. How has the quality been? Im also choosing Avery Dennison and Ive never had a wrapped vehicle before so dont know what to expect.