Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery away from home ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if it would it be possible to do all the paperwork at my nearest Tesla store (Montreal), get my license plate, registration and car insurance done and then fly to Portland Oregon and take delivery of a Model 3 there ? (And drive it back home through a few national parks)

Sub question : Is there a difference between a Canadian model 3 and an American one ? i found out that there are restrictions for the S & X but no indication for the 3 : Transport Canada

Anyone know if it would it be possible to do all the paperwork at my nearest Tesla store (Montreal), get my license plate, registration and car insurance done and then fly to Portland Oregon and take delivery of a Model 3 there ? (And drive it back home through a few national parks)

Sub question : Is there a difference between a Canadian model 3 and an American one ? i found out that there are restrictions for the S & X but no indication for the 3 : Transport Canada

Yeah I’m pretty sure there’s absolutely no way to import a us model 3 currently...

Edit: at a minimum there are software changes for summon and maybe daytime running lights that are needed and that Tesla won’t do for you.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to get a US version actually, just wanted to take delivery across the continent and come back home afterwards. I've starting to think it might be easier to do this from Vancouver
My point is I don’t think they’ll deliver you a Canadian model 3 in the US. And no way to get a us model 3 back to Canada.

Vancouver is more likely but doubt they’ll put Quebec or Ontario plates on it for you.

The simple answer is No, right now theres no way. Maybe in the future they will add it to the list but as the S and X are not on the list I doubt the 3 will make it. And if it does who is going to supply the parts to make it compatible and at what time frame, you only have 45 days and its not as if Tesla move fast on doing this.
Read this thread and you will see only a few reasons why it's not just hard but impossible impossible.
Road Trip to California for Delivery??
And trust me I have imported cars before, from Porsche's to Mercedes and my Tesla.
Tesla is in a different league for importing because it's not like you can fit an aftermarket immobilizer, you need to integrate it to the rest of the system. And you should certainly pre order all the labels than need to be changed. And its not like you can turn the headlights on and leave it there, you have to either ask Tesla to reprogram the can bus, or do it yourself. And yes, RIV want proof of all these things before they sign off on it, but thats a moot point because unless your cars on the list then its either allowable as a temporary vehicle or its staying on the US side.
Vancouver is slightly different in as much as $300 will give you a temporary permit with full coverage for 14 days and will cover you in the US, but you have to pay tax in Vancouver, Tax in Ontario and then claim the Vancouver portion of the tax back. Thought about that as my car came form Anacortes.
Its not the answer you want, but thats the honest truth, as soon as the model 3 comes on the list make sure you can have the car reprogrammed before you get to excited. The ability to reprogram a US car and the immobilizer that runs on a different frequency using Canadian equipment may or may not be possible. those 45 days will tick by fast.

• Informative
Reactions: bijan
I don't think that there are any states that will process a title transfer and registration like that. That's usually a multi-week process. You can get a temp tag, but I'd guess that a US and Canada temps tags are invalid in the other country.

So, no.

You should be able to do it in Vancouver. You can register the car yourself and bring the plates with you. You need the vin, bill of sale and insurance.

When I bought my gen1 volt way back when it was impossible to find the config I wanted in Ontario so I almost flew to BC and drove back with the combo I wanted. I had it all arranged with a dealership there, but then one popped up in Ottawa and I flew there/drove back instead.

You can absolutely buy in Vancouver and drive back to Montreal.

When I purchased mine, I took delivery in Toronto then drove it back to Winnipeg.

You should be able to get all of your insurance and plates ahead of time, and just take your Quebec plates with you to pick up the car. The Tesla staff will mount the plates you bring with you when take delivery, no temp permits or anything required.

As far as taxes go, in Manitoba all I had to do was provide the tax number Tesla gave me, showing the taxes were collected in Ontario at the time of sale. I did not have to double pay, then claim one of them back. I would assume you should be able to do something similar.

He said he could pick it up in Vancouver.

The only thing to be careful of is bringing the plates with you across the US border. Make sure you have lots of paperwork to explain why you are bringing Quebec plates into, and then out of the US. I can only imagine the questions they'd ask!

I missed that, I assumed that he still wanted to pick up a US car at the border.
Actually if its a BC registered vehicle you just need a temp permit, it includes temp plates and insurance so no need for taking plates. Thats exactly what I did, you just drive across the border, no questions asked as its already registered in Canada. I came back across the US midwest because the charging stations were more reliable.
You have to use an autoplan broker, I called around and the ones on 104-9093 King George Blvd and 139 - 32900 South Fraser Way were very helpful. Or you could call ICBC 18006633051 or (driver licensing 18009501498) you can get a 7 or 14 day permit, maybe even a 21 day but I never had to go that route. it was around $280 fully comprehensive insurance for $95,000 agreed value and temp plates.
The journey was amazing and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I just missed the floods and the passes in winter are often closed so pick your timing.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
One thing to consider with the temp permits if going through the U.S. is liability insurance. It may be different with BC temp permits, however when I inquired about temp permits for my pickup in Toronto they told me I'd be crazy to drive into the states with them since the temps only provided $500k liability, and any accident in the states would go way above that once lawyers and doctors got involved.