Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery in 2 days recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably will just start with an outlet then. Father in law is an electrician and excited about the Tesla I’m sure he would be happy to do the install :) the convienece won’t mean much at first because I’m excited to do anything with the car plugging it in included!! Haha Also thanks or all the info :)

It is just a matter of convenience. If you don’t mind unplugging the cord, coiling it up and sticking it in the car, it doesn’t matter. I preferred to install something permanent that is always hung in the same spot, and not having to retrieve the cord from a bag in the trunk. You can also just buy a second charging cord. Price is roughly the same. Today though, multiple Wall Connectors can be daisy chained and share a single electrical line. So if a second Tesla is a future possibility, that may be a consideration.

Best to try it out with what you have/get, and decide later.

Was there ISSUES or issues? I had a coolant leak (o-ring issue, was common around when I took delivery), squeaky FWD and that was it.
Really absolutely nothing I considered of consequence over 18 months of ownership.

I got a free un-cork improving my 0-60 by almost a second which was awesome and I got a Tesla loaner to use for a day while they did that as well.

Satisfied people don't complain and often don't share kudos.

Agree! There is also the issue of first time tesla owners who have owned other luxury ICE vehicles and expect the same fit / finish / zero issues, quick parts turn around. In the last case, one of our friends lost access to his 2 month old MX for 6 weeks, sitting in the shop for the usual FWD alignment issues. His other list of issues was double digits long. Front suspension issues, shake / wobbling on braking, etc.

On top of that, they gave him a FAT, gas thirsty (Infinity SUV) as a loaner.

He had to escalate pretty aggressively to get it fixed.

I took delivery last week. Production complete was 5/24. I literally had not one single issue minus a little rail dust on the back end, simple clay bar removal. Rail dust isn’t something Tesla can control as trains are trains. Just look it over really well before paperwork is signed and note anything you see in writing. 1 other thing I saw was just a couple of little sticky places from the wrap they put on them. It’s no big deal just a wipe off. FWD have been perfect, interior was perfect, had everything from the kit bag.

I crawled underneath it, and did a really thorough review. The DS even thanked me for doing that as it’s easier to address on delivery day. I told them I came in expecting worse from what I had read but they were incredibly professional.

Once we established that trust they dropped the canned statements and said that it’s more good than bad but more like 75-25%. So probably more than they are comfortable with.

Thanks for the tips. Planning to do that same in 2 days.

The state of delivery centers here in the bay area (2 miles from Tesla Factory) is probably worse than other places. They are extremely busy. I hope the delivery guys let me walk through the car patiently without being pushy.

Have a plan to drive somewhere beautiful after you pick it up and get take some photos with your family. Picking up a Tesla is a special day you will want to remember. Here's our pic on top of Mt. Tamalpais on delivery day :D

IMG_5508.JPG

It is just a matter of convenience. If you don’t mind unplugging the cord, coiling it up and sticking it in the car, it doesn’t matter. I preferred to install something permanent that is always hung in the same spot, and not having to retrieve the cord from a bag in the trunk. You can also just buy a second charging cord. Price is roughly the same. Today though, multiple Wall Connectors can be daisy chained and share a single electrical line. So if a second Tesla is a future possibility, that may be a consideration.

Best to try it out with what you have/get, and decide later.
Plan on moving later this year so I’m going to postpone it for now or sure! Thanks again!

Agree! There is also the issue of first time tesla owners who have owned other luxury ICE vehicles and expect the same fit / finish / zero issues, quick parts turn around. In the last case, one of our friends lost access to his 2 month old MX for 6 weeks, sitting in the shop for the usual FWD alignment issues. His other list of issues was double digits long. Front suspension issues, shake / wobbling on braking, etc.

At least he isn’t without a car at all but that does stink. I understand that those issues occur in ice vehicles too sometimes but it does sound faster to fix and less often. Hope that I’m one of the lucky ones or my repair centers are not terribly slow. I’m in Temecula closest pick up is San Diego.

When Tesla give you an ICE loaner, do they pay for gas?

Call ahead and request that they mount the front License Plate holder. They should do that for you and they are much more skilled than me. They also installed the charge adapter for the iPhone at no charge. I ended up having to wait to have both of these done, but it took them lass than 30 minutes to do both.

So update time!! Got the Tesla had everything that I wanted no noticeable flaws. Doors all shut flush and no noticeable cosmetic flaws to the tires or paint. Drove it about 120 miles today not a single problem. Took some pictures but they are on the camera will upload soon!

Reactions: dalfry
So update time!! Got the Tesla had everything that I wanted no noticeable flaws. Doors all shut flush and no noticeable cosmetic flaws to the tires or paint. Drove it about 120 miles today not a single problem. Took some pictures but they are on the camera will upload soon!

Sounds great as was my pickup in Feb and no problems after 5.5k miles. For all the issues you read about on the forums (and Tesla seem to have more than their fair share) it’s still probably a relatively small percentage of owners who actually have serious issues. But maybe quite a lot more who have the odd minor niggle or two.

I do think people tend to take a microscope to their new Teslas simply because of their reputation for poor quality control. The idea that German and Japanese cars all have perfect quality is IME a myth, but I think it does make people more complacent and less likely to look so closely at their cars on delivery. Maybe your odds of having a major issue are lower with a premium German car, but if the odds are pretty low anyway, even with a Tesla, then it doesn’t matter so much unless you are one of the unlucky few!