Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery in a week, best insurance company?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - just received my VIN after patiently waiting for the last 7 weeks. Ordered model 3 performance. In the state of Florida, I need to have insurance before taking delivery. I currently have USAA and they quoted me an additional 700 bucks. I also have a new ETron so my total 6 month premium is around 1700 (100/300, also stacked coverage) Not sure if this is a great rate or not. Hate using the quotes on the websites since they will hound me with countless phone calls and emails. Much appreciated!!

Hey all - just received my VIN after patiently waiting for the last 7 weeks. Ordered model 3 performance. In the state of Florida, I need to have insurance before taking delivery. I currently have USAA and they quoted me an additional 700 bucks. I also have a new ETron so my total 6 month premium is around 1700 (100/300, also stacked coverage) Not sure if this is a great rate or not. Hate using the quotes on the websites since they will hound me with countless phone calls and emails. Much appreciated!!
Long time AAA member, but they ended up being pretty expensive for my M3. Shopped around to a few major insurance companies and found that USAA was the least expensive for me, by quite a bit. Moved all our autos to USAA (my home owners was already with them after a couple years ago due to AAA cancelling us since we're in a fire zone).

I just got my VIN today and got quotes from all of the major insurers. Geico was significantly less expensive for me (29, no current car - so no current auto policy).

6 month premiums, 50/100/50, $500 ded comprehensive, $500 ded collision, rental, etc. Brooklyn, NY.
Geico 618.27
Progressive 1691
State Farm 1,134.60
Esurance 2123.81
Allstate 1,990

I just got my VIN today and got quotes from all of the major insurers. Geico was significantly less expensive for me (29, no current car - so no current auto policy).

6 month premiums, 50/100/50, $500 ded comprehensive, $500 ded collision, rental, etc. Brooklyn, NY.
Geico 618.27
Progressive 1691
State Farm 1,134.60
Esurance 2123.81
Allstate 1,990

Maybe it's just me, but 50/100/50 seems low for a higher cost of living state like NY.

I've had USAA since 1976; they also insure my home. When considering which insurance company to use, don't forget to take into account USAA's subscriber account returns; that comes to a few hundred dollars a year (increasing every year). Also if you've been with them for more than 40 years, there's the annual Loyalty returns, which usually are at least double the subscriber account returns.

I've had USAA since 1976; they also insure my home. When considering which insurance company to use, don't forget to take into account USAA's subscriber account returns; that comes to a few hundred dollars a year (increasing every year). Also if you've been with them for more than 40 years, there's the annual Loyalty returns, which usually are at least double the subscriber account returns.
I’ve been with them for over 15 years and have never had a claim (Knock on wood) and they do kick back a few hundred bucks a year. Their customer service is amazing and the main reason we’ve stayed with them. I haven’t looked elsewhere for insurance in so long so I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Figured asking a bunch of Tesla owners about their insurance would provide consistent answers but getting a broker is good advice
Ask about claims experience - that’s the big variable with Tesla insurance since they have such tight control over service and repairs. Some companies balk when it’s time to pay up because they can be so expensive to fix.

But really, as far as offering good compare/contrast when it comes to rates and value for your specific circumstances, I really highly recommend a good broker. They will pay for themselves many times over.

I currently have a 2019 Ford Fusion Energi (PHEV), which listed for about $40K. Here is my coverage and costs effective September 20.
upload_2020-8-19_22-13-2.png

For March-October, my 6 month premium was $546.49

Reactions: Sbyrd24
That’s a great rate, what state do you live in?

New Jersey

I recommend trying out different deductible prices in the online configurators. I found going from $500 to $1k collision brought some significant savings while dropping comprehensive from $500 to $100 was only a few dollars more so worth it since Tesla's tend to get targeted with more vandalism.

This is also for 100/300/100 though I believe my $350 may be temporary due to covid19, prior it was around $450 but still significantly cheaper than my previous cars which were all in same price range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sbyrd24
New Jersey

I recommend trying out different deductible prices in the online configurators. I found going from $500 to $1k collision brought some significant savings while dropping comprehensive from $500 to $100 was only a few dollars more so worth it since Tesla's tend to get targeted with more vandalism.

This is also for 100/300/100 though I believe my $350 may be temporary due to covid19, prior it was around $450 but still significantly cheaper than my previous cars which were all in same price range.

Even in NJ, it can vary wildly by county.
I’m in Morris, and (without any Covid adjustments) my premium is $424.19 for 6 months.

$250k/$500k/$100k limits. $100 comp deductible; $500 collision deductible.

Increasing to a $1k collision ded didn’t make sense for us - the rate only changes by a few dollars. If I ever had to use it any time in the next 20 years, it’s cheaper to keep the lower deductible.

• Informative
Reactions: zhu-