Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

taking delivery in CA but registering in WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as the title says I plan on registering in WA but plan on taking delivery in San Diego. I will be in San Diego for a few months taking care of some family matters. I was hoping I could take delivery in CA and drive back up to WA. I am not sure how registration would work. I know CA taxs are pretty much the same as WA and WA would credit the CA taxs for registration. I was wondering if tesla would be able to process the registration paperwork for a different state than the pick up location? Possibly have my WA plates/registration delivered to me where I will be staying in CA for a few months?

Read a lot of issues about tesla and registration on this forum. Just want to get some insight on the process.

Good luck! One of the inventory vehicles I was looking at was in Cali, talked to Tesla and they said there was NO WAY I (from Washington) could fly down and take delivery of the vehicle. Their reasoning was that Cali is making people register the vehicles IN Cali, and pay the taxes. Also, they used the COVID excuse, but I shut that one down quickly.

Good luck! One of the inventory vehicles I was looking at was in Cali, talked to Tesla and they said there was NO WAY I (from Washington) could fly down and take delivery of the vehicle. Their reasoning was that Cali is making people register the vehicles IN Cali, and pay the taxes. Also, they used the COVID excuse, but I shut that one down quickly.
Were you able to purchase the vehicle and register in WA?