Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery of 2016 Model X 75D this afternoon (9/18/2019)- looking for advice on what to check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought a 2013 Tesla Model S 85 (CPO) a couple of years ago and at that time, fortunately, they were doing both cosmetic and mechanical refurbishment. Fast forward to today and we are taking delivery of a 2016 Tesla Model X 75D (CPO) and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything to check. Please feel free to make any suggestions on what else I should check, aside from making sure everything is functional and in good shape.

1. There are some light rock chips on the hood and when I went to the Service Center to take a sneak peak earlier this week I ran into someone on the Delivery Team and he said that because it's near the end of quarter they will likely fix them to make sure the delivery happens. This is unexpected and we'll see if it actually happens. He made it sound like we can add fixing them to the "Due Bill" (or something like that) fairly easily.

2. The driver's side FWD doesn't seem to be perfectly aligned near the top of the closed door. It's very close, though. The passenger's side does seem to be perfect. This doesn't seem to be a huge issue to me.

3. All of the 22" tires and wheels seem to be in very good shape, almost brand new.

4. How long will it take to add to my existing Tesla app? (With my last CPO purchase, it was added later that day!)

5. It has the Accessory Hitch and I'm hoping it has Tow Mode. (I'm not counting on it but it would be NICE.)

6. Have the FWD switches been upgraded to the latest version?

7. I'll check for the "shutter" on our first drive. (I am aware of the recent TSB regarding the "dreaded shutter" that it might have.)

8. What annual services have been performed? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

9. When was brake fluid checked/replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

10. Has the A/C disiccant bag been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

11. Has the cabin filter been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

12. Have the wiper blades been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

13. Has the 12V battery been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

14. Have the battery and/or drive unit been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

15. What warranty work has been done on it so far? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

Thanks!

Martin

Congrats!

Delivery was an odd experience because it is clear they are overworked and understaffed.

Fortunately we already have a MS and have driven MXs while the MS was in for service, so we knew a lot about it without needing explanation.

There were some cosmetic flaws that they (of course) could do nothing about. But that's okay, there's a ROCK STAR paint correction guy here in Austin that I have an appointment with in a couple weeks for paint correction and window tint.

The one thing that was the biggest concern was there were rock chips on the windshield, about five of them. Very obvious and ugly, and not seen in the pre-purchase pictures. Surprisingly, they agreed to replace the entire windshield as a safety concern. So that was a huge win.

Great news on the windshield replacement. They could have just went to some cheap window ding filler and called it a day. Please share any news on how they handle the shudder issue. I'm looking to buy a CPO X as well, but looking for comfort that they fix those issues with no questions asked.

Reactions: mrod1975
Great news on the windshield replacement. They could have just went to some cheap window ding filler and called it a day. Please share any news on how they handle the shudder issue. I'm looking to buy a CPO X as well, but looking for comfort that they fix those issues with no questions asked.

Yeah, we were sort of prepared to walk away if the windshield wasn't fixed or replaced. I'm glad we didn't have to!

So I don't think I have the shutter issue. I drove it and floored it from a standstill and nothing noticeable. I also floored it from 20 mph, 30 mph, and 40 mph, and nothing.

Congrats!! I found mine and placed the order tonight. It only has 6k miles so I’m hoping to use your questions as a starting point when I pick up.

How long from when you placed your order was everything ready?

Nice! So I ordered on Aug 30th and picked it up yesterday, so just under three weeks.

Ours was in San Francisco and had to be shipped to Fremont and then the Austin Service Center. Keep in mind this was likely because I uploaded everything they asked for in a very timely manner. (Insurance, driver's licenses, CarMax offer to match on our trade-in, etc.)

I have a friend who ordered his a week before us. His was somewhere in NY and it got delivered to Houston on accident a few days ago. I think he might be a week away from taking delivery as of today.

Also of special note is that the Build Details lists an Accessory Hitch but the UI shows Tow Mode in Service --> Tow Mode.

I'm a little fuzzy on what, if any, differences there are between the Accessory Hitch and Tow Package.

Are most of you buying CPO through local? Or paying the shipping and returning if not happy? Is shipping refundable?

I used https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ to find both my 2013 Model S 85 (CPO) a few years ago and to find our 2016 Model X 75D last month. By accident, the MS was in Dallas so there was no delivery fee a few years ago to bring it to Austin. But the MX was in San Francisco so there was a $2K delivery fee, which we paid. My understanding is that if the car had damage not seen in the online pictures, then it would be easy to return it and everything would be refunded. Fortunately, we did not have to return either of them.

We bought a 2013 Tesla Model S 85 (CPO) a couple of years ago and at that time, fortunately, they were doing both cosmetic and mechanical refurbishment. Fast forward to today and we are taking delivery of a 2016 Tesla Model X 75D (CPO) and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything to check. Please feel free to make any suggestions on what else I should check, aside from making sure everything is functional and in good shape.

1. There are some light rock chips on the hood and when I went to the Service Center to take a sneak peak earlier this week I ran into someone on the Delivery Team and he said that because it's near the end of quarter they will likely fix them to make sure the delivery happens. This is unexpected and we'll see if it actually happens. He made it sound like we can add fixing them to the "Due Bill" (or something like that) fairly easily.

2. The driver's side FWD doesn't seem to be perfectly aligned near the top of the closed door. It's very close, though. The passenger's side does seem to be perfect. This doesn't seem to be a huge issue to me.

3. All of the 22" tires and wheels seem to be in very good shape, almost brand new.

4. How long will it take to add to my existing Tesla app? (With my last CPO purchase, it was added later that day!)

5. It has the Accessory Hitch and I'm hoping it has Tow Mode. (I'm not counting on it but it would be NICE.)

6. Have the FWD switches been upgraded to the latest version?

7. I'll check for the "shutter" on our first drive. (I am aware of the recent TSB regarding the "dreaded shutter" that it might have.)

8. What annual services have been performed? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

9. When was brake fluid checked/replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

10. Has the A/C disiccant bag been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

11. Has the cabin filter been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

12. Have the wiper blades been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

13. Has the 12V battery been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

14. Have the battery and/or drive unit been replaced? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

15. What warranty work has been done on it so far? (I'll likely have to get this from the Service department.)

Thanks!

Martin

Thats a good list. Since this is a 2016, check for windshield ghosting. This was an issue with earlier cars and they later modified the windshield to remove. Search for the updated windshield part # and check if your car has it. If not, you should have them fix. You will notice it immediately at night with the lights of oncoming traffic.

Also the front doors latch mechanisms were updated for a more reliable version.

Reactions: mrod1975
Thats a good list. Since this is a 2016, check for windshield ghosting. This was an issue with earlier cars and they later modified the windshield to remove. Search for the updated windshield part # and check if your car has it. If not, you should have them fix. You will notice it immediately at night with the lights of oncoming traffic.

Also the front doors latch mechanisms were updated for a more reliable version.

Thanks for the information! So the windshield is getting replaced because of rock chips on it, and I'm hoping it will be the updated part number. I'll be sure to check it.

I asked about the FWD switches being the older style and the Delivery Guy, who was not great, said they could not update them. I'll likely open a Service Ticket to have them updated within the next couple of weeks or so.

One thing that was not great was the Delivery Guy said they could not tell me any previous warranty or service history on the car because it belonged to someone else. I'll likely reach out to the Service Department within the next couple of weeks to get those questions answered.

Congrats!

Delivery was an odd experience because it is clear they are overworked and understaffed.

Fortunately we already have a MS and have driven MXs while the MS was in for service, so we knew a lot about it without needing explanation.

There were some cosmetic flaws that they (of course) could do nothing about. But that's okay, there's a ROCK STAR paint correction guy here in Austin that I have an appointment with in a couple weeks for paint correction and window tint.

The one thing that was the biggest concern was there were rock chips on the windshield, about five of them. Very obvious and ugly, and not seen in the pre-purchase pictures. Surprisingly, they agreed to replace the entire windshield as a safety concern. So that was a huge win.

Can you refer your ROCK STAR paint guy? Fellow MX owner here in Austin, purchased a '17 MX P100D a few months back and it needs a little correctional love..

Thanks in advance!