Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking Delivery of a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR – Good&Bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally made the switch to a full EV. First time buying a Tesla after driving gasoline cars for as far as I can remember.
I am pretty excited and wanted to share the delivery process with you guys. I hope to share more videos and info about the car in coming days.

This is the 2021 Model 3 LR WHITE. I really like the car so far.

It did have a few defects though which I will detail in next video but they are

1) Plastic cover by front mirrors in bad shape
2) Scratches around the car specially by door handles
3) Paint issues in Trunk
4) Small gaps in interior pillar areas
5) Charging issues. I am unable to stop charging from car or phone. I have to do it manually.
6) Door hinges scratched
7) Weird scratch top right corner of front windshield.

So I already booked an appointment and will see how it goes.

Hello,

Many people here (myself included) will not click a video from someone posting here saying "look at my video" so it might be a good idea to also post your review in a text form for those like me. I mention this because I noticed that you are somewhat new, and the only other posts you have made here revolve around another video you created (in the model X section, relating to smart summon).

Can you post a text based review as well?

I had ordered a Model 3 LRAWD on Nov 22. Expected delivery date was Dec 21-31. Just noticed today on my account that expected delivery has been changed to “4 to 6 weeks from order date” This process is killing me. Guess will shop for another accessory today.

We have a steady stream of new members who take delivery of their first Tesla and then proceed to post everything they found wrong with the car. So while it’s too late to provide any advice here to the OP, I will provide advice to any future buyers who may end up reading this thread.

There is no reason to take delivery of a vehicle with numerous defects that you are not happy with. There is no guarantee that Tesla will fix them to your satisfaction and you will waste a lot of time taking the car in for various service appointments waiting around for them to try and fix things for you. Some of these defects may be deemed “within spec” according to Tesla. Paint defects may only be fixed with touch up paint.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment by going this route. If you feel the car has too many issues for you to deem acceptable, just reject the car and ask for another one. This is the most effective way to avoid having a disappointing experience with your first Tesla and then coming to this forum to talk about all of the things that are wrong with your car.

There is no reason to take delivery of a vehicle with numerous defects that you are not happy with.

I’m a to-be new guy. The problem is that many folks only have one car and may have sold theirs in anticipation of the new one so they’re under more pressure to accept it.

In my case, my lease ended and my order wasn’t fulfilled within the time frame I was targeting. I’m now renting a Toyota Corolla for about $800/month while I wait.

Reactions: jawnly211
We have a steady stream of new members who take delivery of their first Tesla and then proceed to post everything they found wrong with the car. So while it’s too late to provide any advice here to the OP, I will provide advice to any future buyers who may end up reading this thread.

There is no reason to take delivery of a vehicle with numerous defects that you are not happy with.

Count me as a future buyer who is expecting a car later this month. If the defects are fixable and minor, can I refuse delivery pending repair of those items, and pick up the car after it's fixed? Or do I have to start with another order?

Count me as a future buyer who is expecting a car later this month. If the defects are fixable and minor, can I refuse delivery pending repair of those items, and pick up the car after it's fixed? Or do I have to start with another order?

No, you can not. Once you refuse delivery that car is refused (and put back in the queue for someone else). You dont have to order again, but they will then attempt to match you with another vin.

On a side note, while tesla vehicles in general do not exhibit the QC of your typical BMW, the complaints here tend to be over dramatized (in that most of these people would not be printing out multi page checklists going to go pick up some other vehicle).

You need to check the vehicle, for sure, vehicles with dramatic issues are fairly rare. vehicles with smaller, fixable issues are a bit more common. Back to your question. Its possible something else has changed since I picked mine up in 2018, but I do not believe tesla will hold your vin, fix whatever you report, without you actually signing for (and accepting delivery of) the vehicle.

This is a bit more of an issue now, since there isnt a return policy.

Dont accept a vehicle with issues that you couldnt live with, is the best advice I could give (similar to the advice from @OCR1 )

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
When I picked up mine I had a friend with me and he had been through it before. The delivery people ask if everything was okay and he pointed out things that needed to be better. They worked on it while we waited and made it right. They seemed to want me to be happy. I enjoyed the experience.

Hello,

Many people here (myself included) will not click a video from someone posting here saying "look at my video" so it might be a good idea to also post your review in a text form for those like me. I mention this because I noticed that you are somewhat new, and the only other posts you have made here revolve around another video you created (in the model X section, relating to smart summon).

Can you post a text based review as well?

Yes of course but it is weird as in the other posts most people wanted a video as well. Anyways I am just here to help fellow owners or future owners with related info.

When I picked up mine I had a friend with me and he had been through it before. The delivery people ask if everything was okay and he pointed out things that needed to be better. They worked on it while we waited and made it right. They seemed to want me to be happy. I enjoyed the experience.

I found 10 issues (very visible) with my 2021 Model 3 LR. Also the entire trunk might need to be replaced!!!

Reactions: ilikemypizza

There is no reason to take delivery of a vehicle with numerous defects that you are not happy with. There is no guarantee that Tesla will fix them to your satisfaction and you will waste a lot of time taking the car in for various service appointments waiting around for them to try and fix things for you. Some of these defects may be deemed “within spec” according to Tesla. Paint defects may only be fixed with touch up paint.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment by going this route. If you feel the car has too many issues for you to deem acceptable, just reject the car and ask for another one. This is the most effective way to avoid having a disappointing experience with your first Tesla and then coming to this forum to talk about all of the things that are wrong with your car.

I agree with you and wish knew this before. This is the entire reason for the video to make as much people aware as possible.
You are also right about them fixing it, what if they don't do a good job. I will be stuck with this vehicle.
Also I am providing clear info and that is all.

What are the chances of the 2nd car having no issues lol. To be honest when you buy a Tesla there will be some sort of issues. Some buyers are ok with it and others are not. You just need to make a decision for yourself and like the car for what it is.

I agree with you and wish knew this before. This is the entire reason for the video to make as much people aware as possible.
You are also right about them fixing it, what if they don't do a good job. I will be stuck with this vehicle.
Also I am providing clear info and that is all.

Thats great. Any future updates can be posted here as a text based post and not video, as we dont need a running video commentary of your service center experience.

I'd love to see some pics of these so called "problems" you have listed with the car. People complain about the smallest, most meaningless things. It's misleading to future buyers cause they think their car may have some massive defect when in fact it probably won't.

Also tried to get through your video but couldn't, that was painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.