Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery of a Tesla in Utah?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Utah Model 3 Reservation holder here.

As we've seen in the news, Tesla lost the right to sell in Utah unfortunately.

Are there any Utah guys here who have taken delivery of a Tesla?

My questions:

A) When I take possession of the Model 3, will they ship it to me? And is that included in the 1000 delivery fee?

B) If needed I can fly to california and drive it home. Is this a better option for any reason?

C) What in the world is the tax rate for new cars in Utah? This website (Sales tax on cars and vehicles in Utah) says 6.85% but a maximum of $900. Is that true? It doesn't look like an official website, and I see references citing all sorts of different information.

D) Will I pay California Tax since I technically can't purchase this car in Utah?

I guess in short, can anyone who has taken possession in Utah shed any light on the process regarding these issues or the general process? I literally can't find any information on the web regarding this topic, but I see Teslas all the time in my area so its got to be happening somehow.

Reactions: tony b
Utah Model 3 Reservation holder here.

As we've seen in the news, Tesla lost the right to sell in Utah unfortunately.

Are there any Utah guys here who have taken delivery of a Tesla?

My questions:

A) When I take possession of the Model 3, will they ship it to me? And is that included in the 1000 delivery fee?

B) If needed I can fly to california and drive it home. Is this a better option for any reason?

C) What in the world is the tax rate for new cars in Utah? This website (Sales tax on cars and vehicles in Utah) says 6.85% but a maximum of $900. Is that true? It doesn't look like an official website, and I see references citing all sorts of different information.

D) Will I pay California Tax since I technically can't purchase this car in Utah?

I guess in short, can anyone who has taken possession in Utah shed any light on the process regarding these issues or the general process? I literally can't find any information on the web regarding this topic, but I see Teslas all the time in my area so its got to be happening somehow.

Cbutters,
I don't claim to be an expert-but purchased a model X in Utah. They will either deliver it to your home or have you pick it up at the sales center. I did the sales center and very nice orientation and presentation. This is included in your delivery fee. 6.85% sounds right-but trust me there is not a max! Paid way more than that in tax! You don't want to fly to California as you pay their sales tax which is MUCH higher!

• Informative
Reactions: tony b and Stirfelt
Cbutters,
I don't claim to be an expert-but purchased a model X in Utah. They will either deliver it to your home or have you pick it up at the sales center. I did the sales center and very nice orientation and presentation. This is included in your delivery fee. 6.85% sounds right-but trust me there is not a max! Paid way more than that in tax! You don't want to fly to California as you pay their sales tax which is MUCH higher!
I agree with @ModelX. I wasn't even given an option of delivery, just pick up at the store. My tax rate was 6.75%, matching the Utah County tax rate where I live (6.85% is generally the rate in Salt Lake county unless a particular city has additional taxes). I honestly preferred the out-of-state purchase. They fedexed me all the signing and temp registration documents a few days ahead, I signed them and sent them back. Then the pick-up was zero-stress because it was JUST the pickup, with no paperwork. Just had to sign one paper that I had taken possession of the car. I also liked registering at the DMV (except paying the sales tax all at once there! Ouch!), because I got my plates immediately instead of the typical dealership where they order in the plates and it takes two months (_after_ your temp registration has expired) and you have to go in and ask for them and nobody knows where they should be.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tony b and Tam
We have a Utah thread that you can jump in and chat with us.

Yes, you will pay Utah tax. It depends on where in the state you register your vehicle. Take delivery at the store. They will explain all of the features of your new car.

Reactions: tony b
I am a Utah resident and a Tesla Reservation Holder.

I am many months away from delivery, but I read this thread with interest. I am a part-time resident of Nevada, and intend to look into the benefits/penalties of buying and registering it there???? I already have one vehicle registered in Nevada, and it was hassle free (it was bought used).

I recently read a posting (actually a thread) about a buyer that did all that ccutrer mentioned paper-wise. When the vehicle arrived, there were serious defects .... and that began a difficult period of trying to get them corrected. I have not read if everything was finally resolved, but the fact that he owned the car .... complicated the process.

Personally, I would much prefer to order the car, put down whatever deposit is required, but not finalize the deal until after delivery and I have inspected the vehicle carefully, making sure that everything operates as it should. If that is not possible, (and I don't know that it is not) I would consider withdrawing from the reservation.

A bit more information: In 1970 I ordered a brand new Ford Station wagon. Before delivery however, a service employee damaged the drivers door. I was younger and foolishly accepted the car with the promise it would be repaired. The door never looked the same, it rattled, and the paint deteriorated as time past to the extent that the drivers door became more and more of an eye sore.

Last edited:
I know it's anecdotal, but between myself and a friend, I have zero qualms about Tesla making it right. My car is now in better-than-new condition mechanically (it originally had a pronounced judder when accelerating hard, and it was starting to get worse, so I asked the service center to take a look; they replaced the half-shafts, and no more judder!). This was over a year in when I finally decided that it was no longer acceptable to be doing that. I had a friend take delivery of his Model S a few weeks before me. I can't remember the exact details, but the gist is that there was some unnoticeable problem with a rear bumper, and Tesla pro-actively ordered completely new bumper assembly, and got it painted to match and everything.

So yes, I'm sure some people have some horror stories, but my own experiences working with Tesla have all been amazing. Dave's Body Shop (the only local certified Tesla body shop), on the other hand...

Reactions: Stirfelt