Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery out of registration state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a model 3 on order on 3/31. I currently live in TN but the car will be registered in NY. Do you think it’ll be possible to take delivery in TN and transfer my old plates to it? Does anyone have experience with out of state delivered with an S or X?

I'm interested too. I think it shouldn't be a problem as long as the state you are taking delivery doesn't force you to pay sales tax (like Cal. does).

I think they will put temp plates on the car in the state it is delivered but you can take the car info to new state to apply and get new title and registration. And pay any tax then.

We took delivery of our X in St Louis, MO but registered it in TX. Drove for a couple months on temp plates from Tesla. Had to have them ship new temp plates since new plates had not yet been delivered. They registered the car at HQ since TX allows this. All fees were taken care of by Tesla and passed through to us. Just had to have the car inspected before they could do the plates. Was really no issue.

Assuming I could take home delivery, how do they handle sales tax? Would I avoid the problem, or do they still charge tax based on the nearest dealership? Or something even more silly like charging me CA sales tax?
I am not in the same situation but I would assume they would either charge your state tax or not charge tax. Hopefully some other buyers on here in the same situation can chime in on this exact situation.

In my state, Colorado, Tesla only charges the state tax. Then we have to pay county and city sales taxes when registering the car.
How does this work for Oregon buyers? We have no sales taxes. Would you have to pay Cali taxes if you get it in Freemont?
Yes. Anyone who takes delivery in Fremont has to pay California taxes. There are lots of discussions about buyers taking delivery in Nevada, Oregon, etc. instead of California. It would be better in your case to just take delivery in Oregon.

Last edited:
I am not in the same situation but I would assume they would either charge your state tax or not charge tax. Hopefully some other buyers on here in the same situation can chime in on this exact situation.

In my state, Colorado, Tesla only charges the state tax. Then we have to pay county and city sales taxes when registering the car.

Yes. Anyone who takes delivery in Fremont has to pay California taxes. There are lots of discussions about buyers taking deliver in Nevada, Oregon, etc. instead of California. It would be better in your case to just take delivery in Oregon.

Thanks for the info.