Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery unwashed and without cosmetic work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am detailing my car and ceramic coating it myself on delivery day. Has anyone requested Tesla to not wash/touch up the car? What was your experience? I really do NOT want them to touch it.

Why? Pro detailers instruct you to request the car unwashed and without any cosmetic touch up as the service centres actually damage the car (swirls, light scratches, garbage product that needs to be stripped) to make it look great on pickup (only.)

My brand new Tesla was simply sitting in the rain. 🤷‍♂️ So were the restrooms (porta potties only).

I think you're worrying about the wrong things. ;) It's not like buying a car at a dealer, for better and for worse!

On a possibly more helpful note, I was usually able to reach delivery center staff on the phone, though often answered by people at a different delivery center in my area than where my car was actually being delivered to.

I never asked what they normally do for wash and prep. I strongly suspect that no matter the best intentions of whomever you speak with, your car may end up prepped by someone who never gets word about your request. It shouldn't hurt to ask nicely though!

Reactions: likkuid
I am detailing my car and ceramic coating it myself on delivery day. Has anyone requested Tesla to not wash/touch up the car? What was your experience? I really do NOT want them to touch it.

Why? Pro detailers instruct you to request the car unwashed and without any cosmetic touch up as the service centres actually damage the car (swirls, light scratches, garbage product that needs to be stripped) to make it look great on pickup (only.)

During the long time I was leasing BMWs, and participating in BMW forums, I would see some people request this from their dealer (or even ask for it to be delivered with the white protective wrap still on, if possible).

I havent heard about this being successful with Tesla, and given how they typically operate, I think asking for this, even if successful is a bad idea.

Why? I only see a couple of outcomes for this:

1. They dont get the message to the people prepping the car that "this one" doesnt need to be washed out of the cars they are delivering that day. They wash the car anyway, and you end up frustrated that they didnt listen... Or

2. They do actually get the message, but translate " dont wash" to " dont dealer prep this car". You take delivery and find any number of issues, and they dont want to address them or really slow play it as "well, we honored the request to not dealer prep the car...."

Im not saying either one of those are desirable outcomes, or what "should" happen at all... just my guess at what is likely to happen given how Tesla tends to operate.

If you are detailing it anyway, you are likely going to do a paint correction, buffing, etc so will be able to address any micro scratches they might introduce, and its my belief that would be preferable to being mad / disappointed at vehicle delivery.

If you do try to get them to do it though, let us know how it comes out. I am curious on how well they execute something like this.

Reactions: Cho22 and likkuid
I texted then
During the long time I was leasing BMWs, and participating in BMW forums, I would see some people request this from their dealer (or even ask for it to be delivered with the white protective wrap still on, if possible).

I havent heard about this being successful with Tesla, and given how they typically operate, I think asking for this, even if successful is a bad idea.

Why? I only see a couple of outcomes for this:

1. They dont get the message to the people prepping the car that "this one" doesnt need to be washed out of the cars they are delivering that day. They wash the car anyway, and you end up frustrated that they didnt listen... Or

2. They do actually get the message, but translate " dont wash" to " dont dealer prep this car". You take delivery and find any number of issues, and they dont want to address them or really slow play it as "well, we honored the request to not dealer prep the car...."

Im not saying either one of those are desirable outcomes, or what "should" happen at all... just my guess at what is likely to happen given how Tesla tends to operate.

If you are detailing it anyway, you are likely going to do a paint correction, buffing, etc so will be able to address any micro scratches they might introduce, and its my belief that would be preferable to being mad / disappointed at vehicle delivery.

If you do try to get them to do it though, let us know how it comes out. I am curious on how well they execute something like this.
Thanks. I texted them today asking when they notified me my vehicle is on its way. I’ll keep my expectations low. And yes, I’ll be paint correcting, etc. myself.

Out of Spec Motoring on YouTube requested this and it worked out for him.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The only thing you want to know before hand is if they are going to take it through a wash with brushes, If they just spray the car off, and maybe hit it with some detail spray, there's not much to worry about. Before starting your ceramic, you'll want to fully prep the car anyway ( paint decon, strip wash, light paint correction, alcohol wipe ) If there's a few extra imperfections, they will come out during this process. Ceramic coating is 80% prep work

I texted then

Thanks. I texted them today asking when they notified me my vehicle is on its way. I’ll keep my expectations low. And yes, I’ll be paint correcting, etc. myself.

Out of Spec Motoring on YouTube requested this and it worked out for him.
Discovered any issues with paint or damages that were not spotted since the car was not washed/detailed? Did Tesla ask you to sign a waiver for the request?

Discovered any issues with paint or damages that were not spotted since the car was not washed/detailed? Did Tesla ask you to sign a waiver for the request?
No waiver. No issues missed (and I inspected thoroughly). Some clear coat scratches that are irrelevant to me that were hidden, but those will come right out when I polish.

They didn’t install front plate either as I brought a Quick Bandit mount.

YMMV on this request. The original rep I asked this of understood the reasoning. The next rep I spoke to to remind them was adamant this wasn’t possible and didn’t understand reasoning.

No waiver. No issues missed (and I inspected thoroughly). Some clear coat scratches that are irrelevant to me that were hidden, but those will come right out when I polish.

They didn’t install front plate either as I brought a Quick Bandit mount.

YMMV on this request. The original rep I asked this of understood the reasoning. The next rep I spoke to to remind them was adamant this wasn’t possible and didn’t understand reasoning.
Thanks! Delivery center SA told me he put the request in. Guess I'll find out on Monday when I pick up the car. Fingers crossed no major issues.