TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Taking Freeway Exits with Update 8.0 on AP

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ssrajputev, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ssrajputev

ssrajputev Member

After I got the major 8.0 software update, I noticed in Tesla's email/update that cars in AP mode should be able to take freeway exits. It's supposed to do it automatically from the nav's directions or with flipping the turn signal.

Can anyone confirm this?

2. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I couldn't get mine to take any exits with the signal...

3. BLKTSLA

BLKTSLA Member

Where in the release notes or other communication does it say that it can take freeway exits? I see people talking about this but don't have any documentation to support it, can someone point me to it?

4. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I think it might depend on how the exit lane marker is painted. I've had it work and I've had it fail.

5. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

what happened when it worked? The car followed your nav instructions? or did u hit the signal stalk and have the car automatically shift to the exit lane?

6. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

As far as I know that feature is supposed to be coming in 8.1, not 8.0...

7. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

While Elon tweeted that the car would be able to take freeway exits via turn signal in 8.0 and automatically based on navigation in 8.1, he did not say what release of 8.0 or 8.1 would contain those features.

As of the currently released 8.0 build (2.36.108), the release notes do not mention either feature, so I'd say that these features are not yet implemented in any form. I would not trust the car to navigate an exit at this point until the release notes say it's supported.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. soooma

soooma Member

Autopilot as nifty as it can sound is something nice to brag about with your non Tesla owners it if you have a death wish use it in real life!

In 25 minutes trip it almost killed me 5 times if i wasn't paying attention !!

• Dislike x 2
  9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I can't confirm this and I don't think that the nav and AP system have any sort of interaction.
    I almost always shut the AP down when making exits.

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

bingo, you should always be paying attention, failure to do so could be extremely dangerous.

• Like x 3
  11. PaulR

PaulR Member

A quote from the latest edition I have of the Model S Owner's manual which I find on My Tesla (page 69) under the heading of Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and has been there, at least, since 7.1 - maybe before.....

"In right hand traffic, engaging the right turn signal when driving in the right-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a restricted access road only, such as a highway or freeway), causes Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to assume you are exiting. As a result, Traffic c-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow down the vehicle. Likewise in left hand traffic, when engaging the left turn signal when driving in the left-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit. The onboard GPS (Global Positioning System) determines if you are driving in a region with right or left hand traffic. In situations where GPS data is unavailable (for example, inadequate signal), engaging the turn signal near an exit does not cause Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle. "

So it's under TACC, not Auto Steering. I recall that it worked, but had a problem when you tried to use it to change from one highway to another as it assumed you wanted to slow down, when, under that condition you wanted to maintain your speed since you were still on the highway and not an exit.

• Like x 1
  12. ssrajputev

ssrajputev Member

That makes sense. I looked it up and couldn't find this specific info in my release notes or the email Tesla sent out last week about the update. I think I read an Electrek article and thought it was activated already.

Tesla Autopilot with new v8.0 software update is able to handle highway interchanges

13. ssrajputev

ssrajputev Member

That's true. I tried to take an exit this morning. There was some traffic heading into the exit, so I was only going about 40 MPH, instead of the usual 65. I think because the exit lane was already clearly marked, the car steered to the right and took the exit, as if it was just a regular curve in the road.

Another Tesla owner published a video of his car doing this:

14. soooma

soooma Member

Then it's not Auto Pilot :)
    It's a gimmick that's not ready to be rolled out to the public !!

• Dislike x 4
  15. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I think that it is far from being a gimmick.
    while AP is far from perfect the system probably should have been called driver's assist or interactive AP.
    when used properly as instructed to it works quite well.

16. esk8mw

esk8mw Active Member

It is not a gimmick.

Autopilot is named after and operates like...well, autopilot. Aircraft pilots don't turn on autopilot and go to sleep. They still have to monitor many things while the computer handles some of the brainless tasks. I bet it's been said 100,000 in this forum: autopilot =/= autonomous.

17. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

I think I'm ready to be done with this forum.

• Like x 1
  18. number12

number12 Member

Other than UI anyone just sticking with 7.1 till 8.1?

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Can you give some details?

Also, your forum info (on the left of your post) says you joined about a month ago. How long have you been driving Model S?

Thanks.

• Helpful x 1
  20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It's kind of up to Tesla for some of us. (No update offered.)