Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

taking long time to turn on / start up: 2013 Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Model S 60
s/w ver 2020.48.37.8

By taking a long time to turn on, I mean, open the driver door, get into the car (with key), sitting in the seat, brake pedal pressed and . . . waiting . . . waiting for the car to boot up. This used to be almost instantaneous upon getting in the car. Now it is frequently in the 20-40 seconds range for the car to turn on.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

FYI, this was not resolved by the covered emmc warranty repair.

2013 Model S 60
s/w ver 2020.48.37.8

By taking a long time to turn on, I mean, open the driver door, get into the car (with key), sitting in the seat, brake pedal pressed and . . . waiting . . . waiting for the car to boot up. This used to be almost instantaneous upon getting in the car. Now it is frequently in the 20-40 seconds range for the car to turn on.

I had this happening when I had MCU1, in my 2013 S85. My workaround was to turn off the Energy Savings in the settings.
Because I don't drive the car every day, I usually left the Energy Savings on, and just turned it off during road trips, or other occasions.

Since then, I got the MCU2 upgrade, and it has been solid ever since. (There isn't an Energy Savings tab anymore either)

Reactions: DSK
My 2017 MS has been turning it self off - the same thing you are experiencing - for the past several months. I have not sat there to see how long before it happens but it does not happen after just a few minutes. When I enter the car, especially after hours of it being idle, I have to wait 30 seconds for it to wake up. To avoid this I sometimes adjust the climate remotely before going to the car and that avoids the issue. And you are correct, this has only been happening the past two or three months.

Reactions: DSK
2013 Model S 60
s/w ver 2020.48.37.8

My 2015 70D with MCU1 (w/ original eMMC) behaved just like this for many months, maybe more than a year+ … I forget because it just became the norm annoyance I had to put up with each drive. I used to joke that my car would be useless as a getaway car in a heist (or IKEA sale) :)

Then a few weeks ago I got the MCU2 upgrade. Problem solved, both screens on instantly when entering the car and ready to drive immediately

Last edited:
thanks all! @earcandy -- thank you -- the energy savings was turned "ON" so I turned that off and I think it has solved the issue. Subsequently, I found a similar thread (not for lack of searching) that had the same advice

I think this also solved my choppy / stuttering audio issues as the car was booting up