TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Taking Model 3 to the Track

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by kbecks13, Nov 15, 2018.

Tags:
?

Are you planning to track your Model 3?

1. Yes!

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Maybe - hesitant about if the car can handle it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe - not very into tracking/never done it before

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. No - no interest in tracking my car

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. No - warranty concerns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Alright everyone! I'm super curious to see what the distribution is for various people on this forum in terms of tracking your Model 3.

What's the general feeling for taking a Model 3 to the track? Any concerns about reliability or safety?

Let's discuss!

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

Already have twice. You just have to consider that your regular insurance won't cover you on the track so a track policy is wise. Also if you break something on the track there is a chance that Tesla won't cover it. I'm not worried about breaking the motors or something but rather damaging the smaller items like suspension components etc. I paid a lot for my expensive toy and I intend to enjoy it. :)

3. Spencer G

Spencer G Member

How did your brake fluid hold up under heavy braking? that's the only thing I would be consider about and change to a high temp fluid before tracking. I have a LR RWD

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

I didn't have any fade or other issues, but the larger calipers and rotors on perf package probably helped that. Regen definitely takes a lot fo the strain off the brakes compared to an ICE car. I could smell the fluid after a hard run but nothing major.

5. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Same, i had a little brake fade at the end of a 15 minute track session but nothing serious. The brake pads themselves were REALLY cooking and i could definitely smell them after 1 lap.

• Like x 1