Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking Model X Skiing in NH/VT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have a Model S, but I want to get rid of my big ICE SUV that I use for Ski trips.

So my question is: Is it feasible to go skiing with a Model X in the New England area?

I've seen data on Model S mileage going down in cold weather and icy roads. I'm sure up and down mountains won't help either. Model X I would imagine may be even lower than an S.

My current thoughts are:

Day Ski Trip: Be sure to stop at supercharger on way up.

Rental Condo/House: This is a tough one. 110v it? Or Extension cord through window to dryer plug? Or go somewhere with charger at slopes (Loon)?

Resort: Go somewhere with destination charger.

I think the no go option would be: Rental house, with no charger in site... (aka Waterville Valley right now)

Any other approach to the NH/VT Ski Trip (From MA)?

Dave

The Mt. Washington Inn has a J1772 charger.
There are other resorts with chargers. A supercharger
is coming to Lincoln, NH (there's already SC's in Brattleboro, VT
and Hookset, NH)...

Check plugshare.com for more details.

Check supercharge.info... Lincoln NH's getting a supercharger! I think that answers your question - NH it is! You can ski Loon, Waterville, or even Canon with that addition.

The 110 outlet would work assuming you're not taking the car to the slopes (i.e., close enough to take the ski bus). Otherwise you're not going to be able to get enough charge, at least for a weekend.

Killington has two J1772s but they are slow (13mph) and the valets were shuffling Teslas when I was there last winter. I've used the Tesla destination charger and the J1772s at Stowe, and the 14-50 at the Mt. Washington Hotel. Do your research and always have a backup plan. In cold winter expect to use 10% more in normal driving, and a lot more at the beginning of a drive if you are unable to pre-heat the battery. Rely on the seat heaters and bring blankets and pillows for the kids in the back seat. There's not that much elevation in the East, but I found driving out West that the Model S generally takes an additional 6-8 miles of range per 1000 feet of climb.