Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking my driver's license road test (NJ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery but, I’m going to take my road test for my driver’s license next month and I need to disable or cover up all the parking sensors visuals and sounds. Is there a way to disable ALL the parking assist features including the backup camera and dash indicators and sounds? Or do I literally need to cover up everything?

Hey sukeband! I took my driving test about 5 years ago in NJ and they required a car with a hand pulled emergency break so I don't think a tesla will work. I originally took my dads Mercedes and they told me I could not take the test and had to reschedule.

Btw I just took delivery today! Best experience ever.

Hey sukeband! I took my driving test about 5 years ago in NJ and they required a car with a hand pulled emergency break so I don't think a tesla will work.

Wow, glad I don't live in NJ. I don't own a vehicle anymore with a handbrake. The proliferation of electronic parking brakes has affected both our cars, and I have 1 truck with a foot brake. That's going to be harder and harder to meet with the popularity of electronic parking breaks increasing. Even many rentals I get have them now. (For the record, I don't like them).

My son failed his first driving test try because he looked at the backup camera in his car.

We are trying again Friday with paper taped across the display. I use Blue Painter's Tape since it leaves no residue.

Is this your own car?

I don't know of anyway to disable the parking sensors.

As others have said the examiner needs to be able to reach the brake, the Tesla should be ok because there is no center console, and the parking brake is activated by hitting the park on the center stalk. Course the examiner might just tell you no because its not something they're familiar with.

Wow, I didn't realize the rules are now that you can't take a roadtest with a vehicle enabled with a backup camera. Isn't a backup camera mandatory on all car starting next year? Such a silly test rule.

Why the hate? Seems reasonable to me that the examiner should be able to have someway to stop the car when giving someone who may not have a clue how to drive a test.

And while lots of cars have cameras and sensors, there are millions without them. People should be able to drive both.

The NJ MVC spent more time a few years ago trying to ban direct sales by tesla. Instead, they should be looking into the future, maybe even the present driving technologies. They should see what's available to us consumers and make laws adapt to changes. Unfortunately, our nations laws (driving, tax, security) have not been able to keep up with changing technologies.
However, road tests is a pretty basic thing. Don't know what to do but shake my head at our MVC.

Yes this is my own, one and only car, so I'd have to rent one from them (I think you can rent a loaner from them for a few an extra fee) if they don't likes the looks of it. I'll try and use the "clean screen" screen the whole time, and then mute the chimes, and cover up the left side of the dash. That should be good enough, I'm hoping.

If not I'll rent from them.

The road test is on a closed course where you don't go over 10 miles per hour except for a small stretch where you go to 25 mph. You stop at a few signs, turn around and then park. That's it. It amazes me that this is all anyone has to do!

Drive safely out there my friends. They let anyone drive.

Hey sukeband! I took my driving test about 5 years ago in NJ and they required a car with a hand pulled emergency break so I don't think a tesla will work.

From the NJ MVC:

What to bring to the test:
  • A registered vehicle with current inspection sticker and insurance card. Vehicle cannot have a center console unless the emergency brake is accessible from the passenger seat. Examiner must be able to reach either the foot brake or parking brake

Possible reasons why your vehicle will cause you to fail
  • It is deemed unsafe or unsuitable for a road test
  • It has an improper, expired, or no inspection sticker
  • Equipment in the vehicle prevents the examiner from reaching the foot or parking brakes
  • It has active parking assist parking sensors or back-up cameras. (The vehicle can only be used if these features are temporarily disabled prior to appearing for the road test)
  • It is a self-parking vehicle
  • There is a defect or condition that affects the safe operation of the vehicle including poor brakes, a defective parking brake, unsafe tires, unreasonably unclean interior, a fast engine idle or missing seatbelts
So, the parking brake is on the stalk so should be accessible, but in the second list,
- #2 could be a problem since the car is exempt from inspection
- #4 could be an issue (unless you turn them off)
- #5 could be an issue

Personally, I wouldn't want to bring my S to the MVC...

Why the hate? Seems reasonable to me that the examiner should be able to have someway to stop the car when giving someone who may not have a clue how to drive a test.

And while lots of cars have cameras and sensors, there are millions without them. People should be able to drive both.

Should we also force them to learn to drive stick? Or start the car with a crank?

Not trying (too hard) to be a smart azz, but seriously... the tech exists and every day becomes more, not less prevalent...