TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Taking my driver's license road test (NJ)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by sukeband, Mar 14, 2016.

1. sukeband

sukeband Member

Just took delivery but, I’m going to take my road test for my driver’s license next month and I need to disable or cover up all the parking sensors visuals and sounds. Is there a way to disable ALL the parking assist features including the backup camera and dash indicators and sounds? Or do I literally need to cover up everything?

2. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Hey sukeband! I took my driving test about 5 years ago in NJ and they required a car with a hand pulled emergency break so I don't think a tesla will work. I originally took my dads Mercedes and they told me I could not take the test and had to reschedule.

Btw I just took delivery today! Best experience ever.

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Wow, glad I don't live in NJ. I don't own a vehicle anymore with a handbrake. The proliferation of electronic parking brakes has affected both our cars, and I have 1 truck with a foot brake. That's going to be harder and harder to meet with the popularity of electronic parking breaks increasing. Even many rentals I get have them now. (For the record, I don't like them).

4. McRat

McRat Active Member

My son failed his first driving test try because he looked at the backup camera in his car.

We are trying again Friday with paper taped across the display. I use Blue Painter's Tape since it leaves no residue.

5. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Oh wow. Yeah I used a rental car. Make sure you tell Avis/Hertz/Enterprise for a car with a handbrake.

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Is this your own car?

I don't know of anyway to disable the parking sensors.

As others have said the examiner needs to be able to reach the brake, the Tesla should be ok because there is no center console, and the parking brake is activated by hitting the park on the center stalk. Course the examiner might just tell you no because its not something they're familiar with.

7. byan1232

byan1232 Member

From my experience (2 attempts) the examiner is always someone who does not want to be there, terrible attitude, and picky AF.

8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

What a freaking stupid state... next thing you won't be able to use windshield wipers or cars with ABS... Absolute stupidity.

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Wow, I didn't realize the rules are now that you can't take a roadtest with a vehicle enabled with a backup camera. Isn't a backup camera mandatory on all car starting next year? Such a silly test rule.

10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Why the hate? Seems reasonable to me that the examiner should be able to have someway to stop the car when giving someone who may not have a clue how to drive a test.

And while lots of cars have cameras and sensors, there are millions without them. People should be able to drive both.

11. Tuan

Tuan Member

My 16 yo daughter wants to use my Model S's Autopilot to help her pass the DMV test. It would be so much fun to see a reaction to, "Look instructor, no hands."

12. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Sukeband, can you delete the two other duplicate posts you made?

13. sukeband

sukeband Member

Gary, I'm not sure how to delete.

14. Praveer

Praveer Member

The NJ MVC spent more time a few years ago trying to ban direct sales by tesla. Instead, they should be looking into the future, maybe even the present driving technologies. They should see what's available to us consumers and make laws adapt to changes. Unfortunately, our nations laws (driving, tax, security) have not been able to keep up with changing technologies.
    However, road tests is a pretty basic thing. Don't know what to do but shake my head at our MVC.

15. sukeband

sukeband Member

Yes this is my own, one and only car, so I'd have to rent one from them (I think you can rent a loaner from them for a few an extra fee) if they don't likes the looks of it. I'll try and use the "clean screen" screen the whole time, and then mute the chimes, and cover up the left side of the dash. That should be good enough, I'm hoping.

If not I'll rent from them.

16. sukeband

sukeband Member

The road test is on a closed course where you don't go over 10 miles per hour except for a small stretch where you go to 25 mph. You stop at a few signs, turn around and then park. That's it. It amazes me that this is all anyone has to do!

Drive safely out there my friends. They let anyone drive.

17. CliffG

CliffG Member

From the NJ MVC:

So, the parking brake is on the stalk so should be accessible, but in the second list,
    - #2 could be a problem since the car is exempt from inspection
    - #4 could be an issue (unless you turn them off)
    - #5 could be an issue

Personally, I wouldn't want to bring my S to the MVC...

18. zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc Member

Wow. Things have changed.

My daughter took her driving test with my Lexus 2008 LS600hL that parks itself. This was probably in 2009.

She used it, and the instructor thought it was so funny / cool that he passed her without requiring her to repark the car.

19. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Should we also force them to learn to drive stick? Or start the car with a crank?

Not trying (too hard) to be a smart azz, but seriously... the tech exists and every day becomes more, not less prevalent...